• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

Art Department Blog--Spiderman/Superman cards

Hey all---

I wrote a rather lengthy post on my blog about the Spiderman and Superman trading cards. It has a look at the original rough designs of the cards by MegoSteve and some background on how they were made. It also has something about why I collect Megos, in answer to the other thread. Enjoy.

This profile is no longer active.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Sweetness, I was there and I enjoyed that read.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hobub
      Ghost of a Dead Indian
      • Jun 18, 2001

Nice Bit Scott. Excellent reading.

And about the "Why I Collect Megos" part. I feel the same. With me, I still have my favorite figure from childhood (all beat up and wearing the 'wrong' customized set of clothes he's had on since Christmas of 1974) Alan Virdon. I distinctly remember thinking back then, "He's wearing rags" and the first opportunity I got, I customized him to "more fitting" set of threads. My first Mego was a Superman from a solid box that I got from a toy store at the Monroeville Mall. Which brings back some kind of welcome feeling everytime I go to the ExpoMart Toyshow in Pittsburgh because it is located in the parking lot of the very same mall. I distinctly remember saying "I want Superman" when my parents asked me which one of these I wanted. And I remember thinking "I want him too" when my little brother said "Batman" to the same question. I have told this before but we ripped the heck out of those solid boxes in the back seat of the car before we even left the parking lot of the Mall and Superman was already wearing Batman's cowl before we got to the Squirrel Hill tunnels. These figs got destroyed early on, with only a cowl to survive the years. But I remember looking to see, as an older kid on the block a different batman without the removable cowl and have desired to have one ever since. I now have several nice ones in my collection and must say, even though my beat up Virdon survived along with that early, greened with age and love batman cowl and I can say that the early RCB and Superman will always rank among my favorites.

Len

Originally posted by palitoy
      Sweetness, I was there and I enjoyed that read.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Great story Scott. And don't for a minute feel like you "cheated" on the cards by using the pre-made Photoshop shortcuts. There is no shame in using the tools at hand. That's just working smart. Besides it gave you more time to really work on the design elements, which to me really makes these cards. The overall simplicity of it makes it work. An overwrought piece of art just wouldn't jibe with the simple pleasures of Mego.

Great read!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Great read Scott, I really enjoyed that. Also cool seeing the original Superman pic you used for the card.
          And I must congratulate Megosteve as well for that sweet Spiderman card and for creating the template for the back of the future cards
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Dave Mc
            Administrator
            • Oct 20, 2002

Great read Scott. It's a cool insight to what has become a very popular part of the museum.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

That was great Scott. I really enjoyed seeing the way you posed Superman in your backyard. Hearing about how someone is inspired and reaches their creative pique always interests me.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• MegoSteve
                Superman's Pal
                • Jun 17, 2005

Very interesting reading, Scott. Thanks for the mention.

Comment

• Hulk
                  Mayor of Megoville
                  • May 10, 2003

Its great to have the history of the cards explained further. They really have epitomized so much of what is great about this hobby for me. Nostalgia, history, creativity, friendship, community, etc. These cards are the solid boxes of the set. They set the stage for all the brilliant work to come, yet they still hold a special place in my heart. I remember getting my first stack in the mail from Brian, and waiting for my wife to get home so I could show them off to her. I think they arrived shortly before a major CTVT shipment, so it gave me great pleasure to send them out to dozens of fellow Megoheads. I've probably sent several hundred out since then, but popping Supes and Spidey cards into those orders was the highlight of them all, because I knew how much people were going to enjoy them.

Bravo to all involved.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎