X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

How come Disney gets a pass?

I was talking to my ten year old niece today and she's telling me about the Kim Possible cartoon on Disney Channel. She's going on about how sometimes they have a group on there call Team Go. I said "Let me guess,one of them is named Mego?" She said "how did you know?" Then it hit me;why does Lego let Disney slide when they do everything in their power to keep anyone from else using it?
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

In this case, the name is being used as a formal "Name" of a character in a cartoon, not specifically the "Name" of a toy company. Lego's argument against Marty's (and my) use of (or attempts to copyright) the name is specific to the sales of Children's Toys and Action Figures. If I wanted to start a company called MEGO Web Design, Lego would have little right to stop me... until they realized I was using it to sell Toys.

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Figured that might have been the case. I was kinda hoping there that Disney might have found a loophole that someone might have been able to use. It seems that's not going to happen.

Comment

• Hulk
        Mayor of Megoville
        • May 10, 2003

The answer is probably as simple as a space, "Me Go" would probably stand up to Lego's challenge, but financially its a matter of whether anyone wants to go through the process and fight them.

Comment

• Chris DVM
          Veterinarian Member
          • Jun 18, 2001

Hey,
          It could also have to do with the fact that Lego has a HUGE presence down in Disneys Boardwalk area. I am sure that since they have such synergy, small items like that are not looked upon so harshly.
          Chris DVM
          "The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎