X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Ok, how about worst superhero casting?

Number one for me is the entire cast of Batman and Robin. Yeeesh.
    2 Shaq as Steel.
    3 The new Lois Lane in Returns
    4 Not sure if this counts, but Kevin Costner as Robin Hood
    5 Pat Hingle as Commissioner Gordon
    6 Brandon Routh maybe ok as SuperBOY
    7 Kim Bassinger as Vicki Vale
    8 Nic Cage as the wig wearing Ghost Rider
    9 Whatshername that was Elektra
    10 Kathy Lee Crosby as Wonder Woman
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

#1 WORST Casting decision...Keaton as BATMAN! ARGH!!!
    Halle Berry-Catwoman
    Jennifer Garner-Electra(They should have got someone who atleast looked Greek!)
    Danny Devitto-Penquin
    Tommy Lee Jones-Two Face(great Actor, but He acted like The Joker)
    Pat Hingle-Com.Gordon
    George Clooney-Batman
    Arnold-Mr.Freeze
    Tim Story-as Director of Fantastic Four
    Jullian McMann-Doc Doom
    Sam Jackson-Nick Fury(upcoming Ironman Movie)
    The Kingpin in DareDevil
    Shaq-Steel

Originally posted by thunderbolt
    Number one for me is the entire cast of Batman and Robin. Yeeesh.
    You didn't like Uma Thurman as Posion Ivy....Yum!
    Last edited by The Bat; Jun 28, '07, 6:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    sigpic

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

I have to disagree with the above lists.

Shaq looks the part. His acting skills are limited but if the character wasn't right it was because of directing and writing not that the actor was miscast.

Halle Berry was a similar case. If you are going for Selina Kyle she would be all wrong but they were not - yes, this film is terrible but again not totally miscast

Garner as Elektra. AWESOME. Again if you are judging the elektra movie it is bad. Could the part have been cast better? maybe. miscast - no.

Devito as penguin. Jones as Two Face. Clooney as Batman. Again you are not judging the actor. you are judging the part.

Bassinger was a perfect pick for Vale. And really - what does it even matter? second guessing this choice is akin to choosing the best boy grip.

Pat hingle as gordon - again he was great -and does it really even matter

Cage was fine.

Some I definitely agree with:

Schwartzenegger for Freeze
      MacMahon for Doom
      New Lois
      crosby as WW

add
      new bat girlfriend
      harry osborne
      mary jane
      nicolson as joker was as bad if not a worse choice as keaton for batman -
      it looked like jack would be great and people questioned keaton - in the end i believe keaton was fine and nicolson was entertaining but he was not the joker

miscast doesn't mean the actor was in a bad movie. miscast means they were wrong for the part.

Most guys like Jessica Alba. A lot of people liked the FF movies. this doesn't mean she was the best choice for the movie.
      Last edited by Brue; Jun 28, '07, 12:17 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I got no problem with Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. He's perfect for the super cool spy guy.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

I got no problem with Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. He's perfect for the super cool spy guy.
          To each His own I guess...I'm just an Old-Timer who Grew up with the "Original" Marvel Uninverse. The Ulitmates is a fun read...but to Me, it's more like an "Else-Worlds" Story.

Originally posted by Brue
          I have to disagree with the above lists.

Garner as Elektra. AWESOME. Again if you are judging the elektra movie it is bad. Could the part have been cast better? maybe. miscast - no.

nicolson as joker was as bad if not a worde choice as keaton for batman -
          it looked like jack would be great and people questioned keaton - in the end i believe keaton was fine and nicolson was entertaining but he was not the joker

And I have to disagree as well.

Garner is so America "White-Bread"....and is suspose to be Greek...Come'on!

Pat Hingle...really doesn't have much to do in the Batman Movie's(what..did He get 4 Line's per Movie?)...for that purpose...He's passable.

Nicolson as the Joker...I felt He looked nothing like the Joker(Tall & Thin), but How can You fault His performance? He was the ONLY good thing about the Movie!
          Last edited by The Bat; Jun 28, '07, 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          sigpic

Comment

• Brue
            User without title
            • Sep 29, 2005

Oh I forgot a couple of bad casts

Rogue
            and silverstone as batgirl

and as far as throwing an actor in teis mix who we haven't actually seen his portrayal yet is a little rough (sam jackson)

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

To each His own I guess...I'm just an Old-Timer who Grew up with the "Original" Marvel Uninverse. The Ulitmates is a fun read...but to Me, it's more like an "Else-Worlds" Story.

I don't read Ultimates, it just seems that Samuel Jackson is a good person for the part.

Comment

• theantiquetiger
                Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
                • Nov 12, 2005

Danny Devito as the Penguin?

Is there anyone better to play that role other than him?
                sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by theantiquetiger

Yeah..You're right. It really wasn't Danny's fault...I just didn't like Tim Burton's version of the Penquin.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                    Stays Crunchy in Milk
                    • Aug 2, 2004

I'll agree that Clooney and other's weren't bad casting, just bad vision for the characters, but I must say that pat Hingle was not Commishoner Gordon. You crossed the line here, and I feel it's my duty to straighten you out.
                    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

I loved Michelle Pfieffer's damaged Catwoman from Batman Returns and always wished they had followed up on her and the stitched together costume.

I agree that the problem with Catwoman was the writing and direction rather than Halle Berry. She's a good enough actress with plenty of charisma that I could see her in the role if they decided to make her Selena Kyle and followed a storyline closer to the Darwyn Cooke/Ed Brubaker era.

Berry is also a pretty good Storm (although a younger Angela Basset would have been absolutely perfect).

On the other hand, I think Jessica Alba is a misfire as Invisible Woman. She's wonderful to look at, but really lacks the acting chops and convincing delivery to make the cheesy FF dialogue work.

George Clooney tends to play the smarmy "George Clooney" character whenever he shows up in most things. Bruce Wayne just ain't smarmy.

Jim Carey seemed to be channelling much of Frank Gorshin's manic energy, but I think he pushed it a bit too far.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by samurainoir
                        I loved Michelle Pfieffer's damaged Catwoman from Batman Returns and always wished they had followed up on her and the stitched together costume.

I agree that the problem with Catwoman was the writing and direction rather than Halle Berry. She's a good enough actress with plenty of charisma that I could see her in the role if they decided to make her Selena Kyle and followed a storyline closer to the Darwyn Cooke/Ed Brubaker era.

Berry is also a pretty good Storm (although a younger Angela Basset would have been absolutely perfect).

On the other hand, I think Jessica Alba is a misfire as Invisible Woman. She's wonderful to look at, but really lacks the acting chops and convincing delivery to make the cheesy FF dialogue work.

George Clooney tends to play the smarmy "George Clooney" character whenever he shows up in most things. Bruce Wayne just ain't smarmy.

Jim Carey seemed to be channelling much of Frank Gorshin's manic energy, but I think he pushed it a bit too far.

Yeah, I agree with Ya there...Michelle Pfieffer was great as Catwoman(if fact, She was the only good thing about that Movie). She should have had Her own Movie.

Halle Berry is a HORRIBLE Actress! She only got an Ocar because Her and Densel washington cried..."No Black Actor has won since the 60's". I could tolerate Her as Storm, in the 1st two X-Men movie's though. Probably because, She didn't have a big Part.

Jessica Alba...totally wrong for the part! They should have got Charlise Theron.

Clooney...I agree with Ya.

Jim Carrey...He was just being "Jim"! He's the best thing about that Movie. Kilmer could have made a decent Batman...if He'd had a decent Script to work with(I hear He and Joel fought a lot on the set...I wonder why?)...and, He should dyed His Hair black...and not worn Glass's(He's not Clark Kent)!
                        Last edited by The Bat; Jun 28, '07, 4:49 PM. Reason: miss spelled word
                        sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by theantiquetiger

Burgess Meredith??? He was a better Pengy. Who will it be if they use him in the current movie series?

Comment

• MegoMonk
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 22, 2007

Alicia silverstone was awful - the script said that she was Alfred's niece from the Uk, but she did not bother learning an English accent. She just spoke with that annoying whine of hers. Plus she was fat!
                            Danny devitto should have been a good penquin. Burton and the writers ruined the character.
                            As you all mentioned here, a lot of these actors were just victims of bad scripts and bad directors.

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Burgess Meredith??? He was a better Pengy. Who will it be if they use him in the current movie series?

Bob Hodgkins name has been thrown around, quite a bit for that Role. He was in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎