Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramsey37
    • Jun 18, 2001

Forrest J. Ackerman 1916-2008

Uncle Forry succumbed to heart disease yesterday, just past his 92nd birthday. Tributes to him are popping up all over the web. Here's an article that appeared today at Ain't It Cool News:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39346
    As one of the thousands of Monster Kids who discovered Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine in the 70's, It was always a dream of mine to go someday to visit the fabled Ackermansion in Hollyweird, Karloffornia. Sadly, I waited too long. Forry sold off much of his vast collection a few years ago, and he'd spent the last few years in increasingly poor health. His death marks the end of an era. He was a fanboy long before the word existed. RIP Uncle Forry. You'll be missed.
    George
  • Ronin
    • Sep 1, 2007

R.I.P. Forry. Bettie Page is in a coma now as well.
    Lest ye be as little children ye shall in no wise enter the kingdom of heaven

Comment

• shellhead
      museum rustpot
      • Mar 1, 2007

R.I.P. Dear Uncle Forry, he really helped make my childhood monstrously fun.
      I'll miss you.
      Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

I always got a kick seeing his collection on whatever cable channel would feature it. He will be missed.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Man.
          That's a kick in the gut.
          Expected, but still....

FM introduced me to monsters and movies.
          These last months I've been slowly buying up back issues of Famous Monsters.
          I guess I felt it coming.

I wish you well, FJA, going to that haunted castle in the sky...
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• kryptosmaster
            Removed.
            • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
            FM introduced me to monsters and movies.
            These last months I've been slowly buying up back issues of Famous Monsters.
            Expect a (greed) jump in the prices, at least temporarily.
            I've always wanted to go and fill in my FM collection holes but some of the prices turned me off even back then. Besides I was always more into comics than magazines and spent my money on those. I have a few nice FM's but most of mine are read-to-death from my childhood which would've made Uncle Forry happy cuz that's what they were made for.
            Rich

Comment

• unataper
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 8, 2007

RIP Forry. You will be missed! I had the great fortune to meet Forry a couple times at different Cons through the years, what I nice humble man!! Many of my FM copies are from his personal collection bought from him back in the 90's. Truly a sad time for all monster fans!!
              For the rules of the road have been lodged, it's peoples games you have to dodge- Bob Dylan

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

I heard Uncle Forry was also the inventor,(originator), of the term Sci-Fi. Haralan Ellison and Robert Silverberg, among some sf writers, have tried to bury it for decades. I say stand and be counted Sci-Fi fans! Sci-Fi it is and shall be!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                  Expect a (greed) jump in the prices, at least temporarily.
                  I've always wanted to go and fill in my FM collection holes but some of the prices turned me off even back then. Besides I was always more into comics than magazines and spent my money on those. I have a few nice FM's but most of mine are read-to-death from my childhood which would've made Uncle Forry happy cuz that's what they were made for.
                  Rich
                  I don't mind "well-read" copies.
                  That kind of goes with the spirit of the mag.
                  Literature is meant to be read, not preserved in plastic....
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• mazinz
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 2, 2007

Jesus, have I been under a rock? I had no idea he passed away until I read this post!!!

He had so much knowledge and love for the genre it is a real shame and loss

not exactly official, but if it makes any of you feel better there are two big torrents on demonoid of scanned issues for famous monsters magazine
                    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎