X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YANOULI
    Part-Time Timelord
    • Jan 9, 2006

Casting problems

Please can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

I've enlarged 3 heads with Hydrospan, made moulds of each, when the rubber has cured i've removed the heads without problems.

Now i've come to cast the heads, i've made moulds, poured the plastic and each time the head has stuck to to the mould ruining it when i try to take it out.
    This has happened several times now and i'm really getting p'd off with it. It doesn't matter whether i use release agent or not, the same thing always happens and i have to start the whole process from the beginning.

This last occasion, there was a 12 hour window between me de-moulding the Hydrospan head and pouring the plastic.

I've printed off the tutorials and follow them rigidly but nothing i try seems to work.
    " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

How is the humidity in your area? If the resin is foaming up, that's your culprit.

The only other thing I can think of is that the resin components aren't getting mixed thoroughly.

Comment

• YANOULI
      Part-Time Timelord
      • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by ABMAC
      How is the humidity in your area? If the resin is foaming up, that's your culprit.

The only other thing I can think of is that the resin components aren't getting mixed thoroughly.

the humidity doesn't seem to be too bad but i have noticed a small amount of foaming after pouring the plastic.

Comment

• ABMAC
        User
        • May 16, 2002

Sounds like it's definitely a moisture problem. If the humidity in the surrounding air isn't high, your resin kit has gotten contaminated from the humidity in the air inside one of the containers.

Comment

• Customslab

yep thats what i said befor yanouli when you had the same problem you eather had old rubber or your resin had moister in it

Comment

• YANOULI
            Part-Time Timelord
            • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by Customslab
            yep thats what i said befor yanouli when you had the same problem you eather had old rubber or your resin had moister in it
            The humidity isn't particularly high but it has been raining pretty much for the last week.

The thing is, this is all new rubber and plastic, how can i stop this from keep happening?

Comment

• Customslab

is the resin in plastic or metal???

Comment

• YANOULI
                Part-Time Timelord
                • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by Customslab
                is the resin in plastic or metal???
                The resin and rubber are in plastic containers and as soon as i've poured out what i need i screw the lid back on.

Comment

• REMOVED
                  • Mar 19, 2024

you might want to get some bloxygen or similar product to displace air in your products. Also, it might help if you microwave your silicone molds (if they are silicone) for a minute before casting......

p.s. you can microwave wood stir sticks too to remove moisture or use plastic ones.
                  Last edited by REMOVED; Jun 28, '07, 8:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Customslab

i've heard that about wood stir sticks but i have never had a problem with them even when i poured by hand

Comment

• YANOULI
                      Part-Time Timelord
                      • Jan 9, 2006

I use disposable plastic forks like it says in the tutorials.

How can i stop the moisture from getting into the resin? I've got half a container left.

Comment

• ABMAC
                        User
                        • May 16, 2002

If your resin isn't contaminated, squeeze the bottles until the liquid comes almost to the top before putting the lids back on. The less air in the bottle, the better.

Comment

• YANOULI
                          Part-Time Timelord
                          • Jan 9, 2006

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

>The thing is, this is all new rubber and plastic, how can i stop this from keep happening?

I'm thinking you've got a bad batch of material from the company. Here in Windsor we've got freakishly high huimidity, I use wooden stir sticks, and I've never had a problem.

Well... not like this. I've had problems with additives I've used.

Anyhoo; you might want to drop a line to the folks you bought it from and ask them.

DOn C.

Comment

• megowgsh
                              Customego HoF Curator
                              • Nov 19, 2003

Originally posted by YANOULI
                              Please can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

I've enlarged 3 heads with Hydrospan, made moulds of each, when the rubber has cured i've removed the heads without problems.

Now i've come to cast the heads, i've made moulds, poured the plastic and each time the head has stuck to to the mould ruining it when i try to take it out.
                              This has happened several times now and i'm really getting p'd off with it. It doesn't matter whether i use release agent or not, the same thing always happens and i have to start the whole process from the beginning.

This last occasion, there was a 12 hour window between me de-moulding the Hydrospan head and pouring the plastic.

I've printed off the tutorials and follow them rigidly but nothing i try seems to work.
                              Ian,

The biggest problem with molding a Hydrospaned head is that the head itself contains water. That my friend is probably your source of moisture.

I have had many occasions where I molded an elarged head or a shrunken head and the mold gets completely ruined.

You must thoroughly dry the outside of the head before you mold it. This will cut down on the moisture in the mold. And, even then, you may still have problems.

Good Luck!
                              Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎