X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Superman 2: Lester or Donner?

Which Richard's film did you prefer? Lester's "original" version of Superman 2 or the recently released Richard Donner cut?
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Well before I ever heard of the Donner version, I thought Lester's was just fine. Having watched both, I think Donner made the superior movie but I wish I could see the original ending.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• boynightwing
      That Carl Guy
      • Apr 24, 2002

the Jor'el scenes were great. I think a hi-bred of the two would be really cool. The "Donnor" ending wasn't all that hot though its not the ending that was intended.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
        Well before I ever heard of the Donner version, I thought Lester's was just fine. Having watched both, I think Donner made the superior movie but I wish I could see the original ending.
        According to Donner in the commentary track of his cut of the movie, the "turning back the earth" was the original ending planned for Superman 2 (since both movies were shot back to back and both scripts in place). They felt it was such a powerful sequence, they decided to use it for the end of the first movie instead and would come up with another ending for 2 later. Of course they pulled the plug on Donner before he and his scriptwriter could come up with something else.

As it stands now, by restoring that ending to Superman 2 (since there was nothing else shot by Donner that was closer to his vision), it makes it seem like Superman's solution for everything is to just counter-spin the earth back in time...

Lois Lane Dead? Turns back time.
        Phantom Zone Criminals ruling the earth? Turns back time.
        Richard Pryor getting on his nerves? Turns back time.
        Solution for defeating Nuclear Man? Turns back time.
        Luthor wants to create a new continent using Kryptonian cyrstals? Turns back time.
        Accidentally knocks up Lois Lane because he forgot the kryptonite condoms? Turns back time.
        Forgot to pick up his dry cleaning? Turns back time.
        Wants to avoid paying fines for overdue library books? Turns back time.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

When I first saw Superman 2 I remember not liking certain things in the film the whole Paris bomb thing, Lois Smoking,The scene in which the villans blew air towards the people of metropolis..etc when I heard that Donner was fired and I got to rewatch it over the years I was able to notice the scenes that were like the original and the scenes that Lester filmed as time has gone by Superman 2 although a good movie has lost something for me.

I liked what I saw with Donners cut and gives me good what if......

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I prefer the Donner cut now. Sure it would have been great if they could have done their new, post Superman 1 release ending, but they didn't have one! The tone of the Donner version is far superior, far less campy, and closer to the original. The scene wher Brando touches Reeve's shoulder and gives him back his powers makes it for me. Although I'll agree with our pal Rob and say Lester's "General! Care to step outside?" is far superior to Donner's similar scene.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

I never saw Donners cut and, in the end, it doesn't affect my opinion that
              if Donner would've been in charge throughout the Reeve movies instead of
              his producers----well, everything about the Reeve series would've been top
              notch and competitive with most anything Singer/Routh etc. could do nowadays

Once Lester got involved, everything about the start of that version
              of the franchise was betrayed to a certain extent, ending with
              Jon Cryer's "Woah, I'm breakdancing" schtick
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎