X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

He Man Envy

Masters of the Universe was another toy line that caught my eye during this time. It's bright colors and simple themes reminded me of a simplier time (pretty amazing considering I was 12 at the time). Castle Greyskull is also one of the best done playsets I have ever seen. Although I closet watched the series on Saturdays, it was after all filmation, even I knew I was too old to buy the figures.
    I think that made me mad, that is until I discovered girls and teen drama.
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I was a HUGE He-Man/MOTU fan. I got the He-Man/Battle Cat gift set, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms AND Castle Grayskull for Christmas of 1982. I remember waking up EARLY Christmas Eve morning, and being scared of the Grayskull box. I pushed it over into the corner until I could finally coerce my parents into waking up! It is indeed one of the greatest playsets ever made. I'd put it and the Super Powers Hall of Justice at the top of that list.

I remember being really surprised by the DC Comic that introduced Prince Adam. In the early mini-comics that came with the figures, He-Man was just a noble barbarian type. He lived in a hut! The Prince Adam angle appealed to me much more. I even had that dress up set! I still have the power sword from it. I just dug out the rest of my MOTU stuff from my dad's basement, and my son has been dying for me to clean it up so he can get his mitts on it. We've been watching the "Best of MOTU" DVD a lot lately. We even found one of my old He-Man t-shirts, and my son has been wearing it everywhere. It's got a few puzzled looks from adults who remember the toys and show.

MOTU was the first toy line I really went after. I was barely 8 when I got the figures, and it was the perfect line for me to jump into whole hog. I had every Mattel item up until early 1986, and then it was the first toyline I really gave up due to it's more "simple" nature.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Two years later I broke my big "no toys" thing by buying Superpowers figures, because they were ahem.... collectibles.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

Another one of my all time fav's,I watched these cartoons everyday with my mom.The 1st toy I ever remember picking out for x-mas as a child was the Evil-lyn don't asked me why I picked her,but I did I still have a few loose ones and my favorite of all time carded FAKER!!
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• txteach
          Banned
          • Jun 17, 2005

I guess I was too ole for the whole heman thing. They do nothing for me. I guess if you are about 28-35 this was what you played with.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

He-Man never really did anything for me. Now the new ones they did a few years back are a different story.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 1, 2005

I loved the cartoon when it first came out, and I was able to buy the toys for the first year or so, but then I was too old shortly thereafter. I look back on these toys fondly though I never had much of a desire to collect them. I did buy some of those limited edition reissues they put out a few years back though, just for fun

Comment

• Merlyn1976
                Fist of Khonshu
                • Mar 29, 2005

Originally posted by txteach
                I guess I was too ole for the whole heman thing. They do nothing for me. I guess if you are about 28-35 this was what you played with.
                Not always....I never did get into these much....
                "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• steelcouch
                  Career Member
                  • Feb 11, 2006

Was the he man and the gi joe 3 3/4" for me. Used to light cans of used spray paint and blow the joes and he men up. Was a very bad kid in my early years.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

My younger half brother, (11 years younger) was majorly into these things as a kid. It drove me NUTS!
                    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• toys2cool
                      Ultimate Mego Warrior
                      • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by steelcouch
                      Was the he man and the gi joe 3 3/4" for me. Used to light cans of used spray paint and blow the joes and he men up. Was a very bad kid in my early years.
                      My little brother use to do the same thing,but with the rubber LJN WWF figures,he use to be like look Damian it's Ghostrider and bam!! Hogans head would be on fire
                      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

I was on the fringe of the He-Man era...too old to buy the toys but not to old to run home from school (11th grade) to watch the cartoon!
                        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• RG
                          Removed.
                          • Oct 1, 2004

1983/84 7 and 8 years old, I was hard core into He-Man! I wanted the original He-Man so bad that every time I went to a store that sold toys I would run with my fingers crossed (literally) hoping they would have him, over and over but found nothing! My sister got me battle armor he man and prince Adam that helped ease the pain ... but one day about a week before Christmas of 84 I found him ... of course my mom wouldn't buy him for me (because at the time "Santa" already found him for me) so I left the store crying, the one and only time I ever did such a thing. Mom and dad felt bad, and to this day they say I would just sit and mope all that week before Christmas. But dang I was after the darn guy for at least a year. I dabble in the line but only if I find good deals ... and of course I have a nice mint loose complete Original He-Man maybe someday I'll buy a MOC, but I ripped the one I had as a kid off the card so fast I don't remember the packageing

Comment

• MegoNinja
                            Career Member
                            • Feb 7, 2007

I love he-man almost as much as Mego to be honest, I have an entire wall dedicated to He-man which is covered top to bottom in vintage He-man playsets, vehicles and figures, I still watch He-man today (the old ones of course). Does anyone remember the remake they did right before the 90's? It was called like The Adventures of He-man or something like that anyway. It was no where near as good.
                            I the Monster Hero

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

Ah He-man I was sixteen years old when the first wave hit the stores in 1981 I had only two Megos by then and I wasn't into toys too much but He man caught my eye..I remember wanting him so much my mom who was puzzled why I still wanted toys I bought me He-man Skeletor and Beastman the only ones that I would ever get.I still have He-man although he's very beat up.I loved the Cartoons that came later.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎