Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Reason for leaving?" (job related post)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

"Reason for leaving?" (job related post)

I need a good answer to this question:

If and when a job interview comes along, what would be a good answer to this question: "Your reason for leaving/Why doyou want to leave your present employer"?

I mean the reality is that my boss does have it in for me and I can't stand him either, and I don't like their new way of doing things, but what interviewer is going to want to hear that (because that would be a black mark right off the bat in any interview)...

I'm looking for good possible answers to that that do NOT sound "fake" or "predictable".. Something other than the generic "I'm looking for a change of pace/new opportunities"...

If you have any good advice, please post it... Thank you!
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

If you need something slightly different.. "I am looking to advance my career with a company that better appreciates my skills and knowledge."

Don't put too much thought into this question though. It is really designed to see if you are a person who is either opportunistic or blatantly negative about your previous employer. The safe answers are the smart ones. Its the undiplomatic people who use this as a forum to discuss how much their old boss/job/company sucked that the question is designed to weed out. Be prepared to explain your answer, which is a second opportunity for you to cut your own throat. If you think that the othr company could be negative if contacted, you might want to limit your negativity to something along the lines of... "I prefer not to go into great detail, but let's just say that some of the people I worked with (or for) did not seem to have my best interests in mind".

This is however a chance for you to turn the question into an opportunity to discuss the positive merits of the company you are interviewing with. Again, be prepared with research or references to back up any positive claims you might be making. Their website should provide enough fodder for this, and usually you may even become more aware about the companies good attributes than the person interviewing you. It also shows that you have at least done the minimum expected by researching them.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

"I'm looking for a job I really love." I've heard that one more than a few times, too.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mitchedwards
        Mego Preservation Society
        • May 2, 2003

When asked that question in a interview, its a sure fired way to loose the job if you go on a rant about how bad your current job/boss is.

Just say your looking for a job that is a better match for your skills.......

If your in the market for a job I really really recommend this book. 48 Days to the work you love. www.48days.com

Mitch

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• txteach
          Banned
          • Jun 17, 2005

Tell them you are leaving to either advance your career or that your looking for opportunities that were not present in your last job.

Comment

• highquality
            #1 Super Guy
            • Jun 10, 2003

I've hired dozens of people over the years.

Here's what I like:
            1. People who listen instead of trying to talk over me.
            2. People who tell me how they'll be a big help to my organization.
            3. Sincerely interested and well dressed people.
            4. People who thank me for my time.

Here's what I don't like:
            1. Overconfidence to the point of being cocky. I'll tell people what's expected of them and they give me 100 reasons why it's a piece of cake.
            2. Slouchy insincere people just looking for a J-O-B.
            3. Saying Uh-Huh instead of Yes Sir.
            4. Anyone dumb enough to trash their last place of business or last boss.
            WorldMEGO: Where MEGOs Go! 24 Hours a Day

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

It's a test of character, so whatever you say, keep it positive. I like Txteach's "advance your career" suggestion. It tells them you are ambitious and also that their company is better than your last one, since you're going to them to get ahead
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Adam West
                Museum CPA
                • Apr 14, 2003

I'm a director with a company and have interviewed at least 50-100 people over the last year for various positions.

The "why are you leaving your old company question" is really a throw away question and one as others have mentioned to weed out anyone stupid enough to slam their other employer.

Whatever you do, try to turn every question into a positive. There have been a couple of good suggestions here, try to be brief and concise...again this isn't a deal breaker question unless you choose to make it one. Anyone who has said something along the lines of looking for other growth opportunities, etc. does not raise any suspicious eyebrows at all.

At the end of the day, the employer is looking for a good personality fit.

Here are a couple of extra hints at getting any job that has worked for me in the past.

-Research the potential company who you are interviewing with. It doesn't matter if they are public or private...go on their website and find out what they do and know a little bit about the company history and financials if there are any. Ask questions about the company in such a way that let's the employer know that you have done your homework.
                -Be energetic and don't be afraid to sell yourself. This is different from arrogance or cockiness. Tell the person who you would be working for that you are really excited about the company and how you would be a good fit.
                -Dress appropriately. That goes without saying. Even if the dress is casual, you will never look like a fool by wearing a suit
                -Smile and talk enthusiastically. Like I said, turn any potential negative question into a positive. A question that leaves the typical candidate totally stunned is "what is your biggest weakness?" Give them an answer that is totally unrelated to the job you're applying for. For example, I'm a CPA and when asked the question I usually say "I really need to brush up on my Corporate Tax Knowledge"....of course, I'm not applying as a Corporate Tax Accountant and it has nothing to do with the job.
                -I usually try to finish an interview (when I'm interviewing with a company), that I'm really interested in the job (if it's true), I re-highlight all of my strengths and what I can offer the company, and it really isn't out of line to ask at the end "Based on what you have heard, do you think I would be a good fit for this position?" It is basically a way of showing interest and confidence without being pushy.
                -Ask for a business card and always follow up with a handwritten thank you. I would say only about 10-20% of interview candidates do this and I don't hire one who doesn't send one because it gives me the message that they really aren't that interested.

Hope that helps.
                "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• critter2
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 2, 2005

I like to hear something along the line of, I'm looking to improve my knowledge of the industry. You gotta like someone who wants to learn and grow with a company.

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

I just want to thank all who gave some advice... Hopefully I'll be able to put that advice to the test soon...

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎