X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Any William Castle fans?

I've been enjoying old horror flicks (ala Chiller Theatre) on FearNet On Demand, and I've recently seen 3 of William Castle's pictures: Mr. Sardonicus, The Tingler and Homicidal. Really good movies. William Castle was a strange man, but he knew how to grab his audience and even make them a part of the movie, in the beginning, and towards the end of the movie.

Any William Castle film memories?
    Last edited by HardyGirl; Jun 26, '07, 8:10 AM.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

He's one of my faves! He did something that I wish more folks did these days; he never worried about making a GOOD film, he made ENTERTAINING films. Even his cheapies were weird and unique. I sorta wish I'd been around for some of his gimmicks though.

Say; wasn't the guy in "Matine" modeled after him?

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, Goodman's character in Matinee was based loosely on Castle. I bet Castle had wished he'd thought of the gimmick in "MANT".

My friend is a huge fan of Castle and had seen many of his films in theatre with the gimmick. I think I'd appreciate it more if I had, I don't dislike his work but sometimes it feels like I'm watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show at home......
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Love Castle's stuff. What exactly made him a "strange man" ?
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Besides the ones already mentioned, be sure to check out 13 Ghosts. The DVD has the "illusion-O" gimmick intact and even comes with a replica Ghost Viewer. Really fun movie.

But avoid the gory re-make like the plague. Terrible, terrible movie.
          Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 29, '07, 10:49 PM. Reason: typos
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

My fave has to be Straight Jacket. Joan Crawford as a axe wielding maniac. Talk about type casting. And one of her first victims is Lee Majors.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mego73
              Printed paperboard Tiger
              • Aug 1, 2003

Loved William Castle, wish we had an equivelent today.

13 Ghosts stands as a prime example of the horror films that were aimed at younger viewers. It was scary but somehow innocent.

Oddyly enough, Castle's biggest hit was not a usual "William Castle movie", it was Rosemary's Baby

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Dr. Phibes
                • Feb 2, 2008

B-4 his time... I heard when The Tingler was in theatres, he set up a device under some ot the seats that gave a lil zap after someone yelled the Tingler was loose in the theatre. It would be great to enjoy movie experiences like that today but I guess we're too lawsuit happy. Those were the days I'm told.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎