X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joshvox
    Clown Prince of Crime
    • Mar 21, 2006

So, why do you collect megos?

Maybe this is getting a little too psychological for the old mego board but…why specifically do you collect megos? I mean, what makes you do it? There are plenty of kids who had them and loved them who don’t collect them now. My wife thinks the reason I collect toys has something to do with some sort of stubborn refusal to grow up completely—but I just don’t see it as that—although besides the fact that I simply enjoy toys I can’t say why I collect them really. (So yes, I can’t answer my own question haha) How about you?
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

Because I enjoy it. It brings me back to a simpler time, when my imagination was king, and the stresses of adult life didn't exist. Mego just personifies that better than any other toys from my childhood, and allows me to extend that into an adult hobby. The friendships and comraderie of similar minded people have made it into one of the more enjoyable hobbies I can imagine having.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Because it instantly takes me back to being an innocent kid living in Brooklyn.Because it Reminds me of My Wonderful Mother who would buy me them all the time.Because it releases a chemical in my Brain that makes me all giddy.Because it lead me to one of the coolest Forums ever. Because Megos just hands down ROCK!

Comment

• ABMAC
        User
        • May 16, 2002

Because my dad, who hated "dolls" and science fiction, wouldn't let me enjoy my Mego figures when I was a kid. I'm trying to relive my childhood the way it should have been. I know logically that it won't work now, but when that Alzheimer's starts to kick in, I WIN!

Comment

• mego joe
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 21, 2001

One of my two all-time favorite toys as a child. It reminds me of the unbridled joy of being a kid, they still look cool and I never did get to 'collect them all.'

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

What they said.

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 18, 2007

Megos are an excellently designed figure that deserves to continue on untill someone gets a clue and does it right. Mego is the example of the perfect playable figure, that not one single toy company can get it through their thick skull how to replicate its design or sucess. Spawn toys makes a great statue, nobody else can sculpt a decent figure. MEGO rules and deserves to carry on!! They were fun to play with then, and now...both my kids haul their MEGOS around. They're not violent or dangerous, and they portray real super heros with a positive message..."great power...great reponsibility" They can be customized, you can create your favorite figure that you always wanted or the newest figure that you recently idolize.
              They have excellent collectibility...they have several teirs of collectibility. You can collect loose, naked, repro, parts, clothing, carded figures, boxed figures, mint figures with repro cards, or repro boxes. Theres a price range for everyone!! MEGOS hold a value, both financialy and in our hearts.....thats why I collect Megos. I Love the Hunt!!!

I only had a shazam, and a superman as a kid. My neighbors had almost all of them and now its my turn to pick up all my favorites. (I didn't even know who spiderman was untill I saw my friends Mego for the first time.)
              Last edited by Fuzzysnail; Jun 26, '07, 12:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

I don't just collect Megos, so this explanation is for all my cool toys. Being a kid in the 70s was just the coolest thing ever. The toys were great! And I just a great big kid. I don't just collect my toys, I play w/ them too. It just reminds me of a simpler time when my biggest worry was what I was gonna get for Christmas, and the math test on Friday. When I would watch TV after school and see all the wonderful commercials w/ all my fave toys, the ones I got and the ones I just wished for. When I could entertain myself for hours w/ my dolls or figures and some homemade props. I miss those days. Buying back my childhood is costing me dearly, but worth it. I love sharing my toys and my past w/ my students, and sometimes just playing by myself and being 8 years old again.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• mego boy CA
                  megos are FUN!!
                  • Mar 30, 2006

My mom's and pop's couldn't afford to buy me too many toys and when i was a kid i always wanted all the superhero megos, i had seen on t.v. and on the mini catalogs. Still can't afford them but, i do get one or two on occation. they always brought me and my friends endless amount of fun! they still do! MEGOS ARE FUN!!!!!!!!!
                  sigpic
                  "To The Batmobile!"
                  "We Haven't A Moment To Lose!"

Comment

• The Sentry
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 3, 2007

Mine will sound like everyone elses. I love them because at the time Mego products were the titans of children's attentions and desires was a wild and free jouys time of bliss for me.

I remember hunting everyone I owned! I always led the way to the toy section hoping to find something I needed and didn't have! Ya know, I still remember going to K-Mart in the late 70's with my Ma and dad and getting the Mego that matters most to me, "Hulkie" he was many the hero of many a story I created and acted out with him being the star of the adventure. He beat the Alliance, Empire, G.I. Joe and Cobra, why you ask? Cause 1. he was BIGGER 2. He was BADDER! and 3. He was BETTER! That sums Mego all up! They were the first crack at what Marvel Legends are today,(well, Spiderman Legends are 10" and have cloth clothing for Pete's sake!) So I remember my roots, all about being proud of what you were and remember best about childhood!
                    Last edited by The Sentry; Jun 26, '07, 12:49 AM.
                    sigpic
                    http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                    [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• txteach
                      Banned
                      • Jun 17, 2005

They are purely an investment for me. I'm hoping my carded Hulk will send my daughter through college in about 14 years. Some people invest in stock, I invest in megos. OK, the truth now. I had em as a kid and want them back. They are part of my childhood. They gave me many happy memories.

Comment

• Meule
                        Verbose Member
                        • Nov 14, 2004

I was a Batman fan before I was a Mego fan, so that's what attracted me. Then I saw Star Trek and Mad Monsters and I was hooked. But ask anyone else in my family and they'll most likely say I refuse to grow up and still act like a kid Which is sometimes true I guess
                        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• MegoNinja
                          Career Member
                          • Feb 7, 2007

I grew up with only one crummy bendy riddler, so now, its payback time! I want as many Mego's as possible to make up for only having one bendy riddler and watching my older brother play with his 8 inch hulk. Plus, Mego is a great investment, there are many other toy collectables that just wont sell even if they sit on eBay for a year. Mego is also unmatched in quality and most of all detail, each Mego is like a little person.

Amen.
                          I the Monster Hero

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I'd always considered the 8" Mego body to be the ultimate toy. Well... the 7" Lionrock body, with swivel biceps and Doc Mego-esque swishy hands would be the ultimate toy... but the 8" Mego is a damned close second. I had a few that I used as artists dummies; since they're more posable than ACTUAL artists dummies.

Back in the days of the ORIGINAL Museum I found info on schloads of figures that I'd never heard of, and started seeking them out. (I NEEDED a set of the monsters....) And once I'd figgered out how to make molds I could finally make any character I wanted. After 20 years I could finally have everything cool in the same scale. Even back when I was a kid, me and my Granpa had tried, many times, unsuccessfully, to make custom figures.

Don C.

Comment

• Dave Mc
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 20, 2002

Originally posted by Hulk
                              Because I enjoy it. It brings me back to a simpler time, when my imagination was king, and the stresses of adult life didn't exist. Mego just personifies that better than any other toys from my childhood, and allows me to extend that into an adult hobby. The friendships and comraderie of similar minded people have made it into one of the more enjoyable hobbies I can imagine having.

BAM! That's it, well said.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎