X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

EMCE Bonanza at Newberry Comics!

I went to Newberry Comics Today to pick up Cornelius...and was thrilled to see so many Mego's back on Toyshelves!! The had...Cornelius & Soldier Ape, Uhrua & Mugato, McCoy, Klingon, Keeper, and Cpt.Kirk(2nd release??).

It was a beautiful sight....Doc Mego RULES!!!!
    sigpic
  • censy
    thread killer
    • Sep 26, 2007

I'm meeting some friends thursday at the Cambridge Newbury Comics. Looking forward to seeing all the goodies.

Chris

Comment

• megocrazy
      Museum Trouble Maker
      • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by censy
      I'm meeting some friends thursday at the Cambridge Newbury Comics. Looking forward to seeing all the goodies.

Chris
      Stop and have some tea on Brattle St!! I'll actually be there on Wednesday morning.
      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• txteach
        Banned
        • Jun 17, 2005

I don't know what it is but it kinda bothers me when someone calls the new figures megos. They are not megos. It's nice to see repros in the stores but lets call them what they are. sorry for the rant.

Comment

• fallensaviour
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 28, 2006

Dang...You through me off with the title!!!
          I thought there was actually Bonanza EMCE figures out!!!!
          Ah man that would have been awesome.
          I know what you mean though I hit 3 comic stores today locally and all three had EMCE treks it is a weird feeling...
          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by txteach
            I don't know what it is but it kinda bothers me when someone calls the new figures megos. They are not megos. It's nice to see repros in the stores but lets call them what they are. sorry for the rant.

Fine...I'll call them "Mego" Reproductions! Happy now?
            sigpic

Comment

• txteach
              Banned
              • Jun 17, 2005

Hey bat, no offense meant my friend.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Yeah, I thought this was going to be about a line of Bonanza Mego figures, too. OOps, sorry repros.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 18, 2007

Megos, Megos, Megos, Megos.......hmmmm no pain? Shrug......

Comment

• noelani72
                    27inaleon
                    • Jun 25, 2002

If memory serves me correctly, EMCE was going to be called MEGO until Lego had a hissy fit.

Comment

• txteach
                      Banned
                      • Jun 17, 2005

If memory serves me right, Lego now owns the mego name so it could not possibly use the mego name. I could be wrong but I thought Lego bought the rights to the name after mego went under because it was too similar to Lego. EMCE has it's niche in the toy world mainly copying and making toys that mego did not make (like Sulu, Checkov) which I think in itself is pretty cool. In my opinion they are not megos though. I'm not trying to inflame,hurt, bother anyone. Just giving an opinion. I think it's great that EMCE is so widespread in the comic shops. Ok, with that being said, I'm heading to my local comic shop to see if they have any figures.

Comment

• censy
                        thread killer
                        • Sep 26, 2007

Originally posted by megocrazy
                        Stop and have some tea on Brattle St!! I'll actually be there on Wednesday morning.
                        Damn, I just saw this. Sorry I missed you.

Chris

Comment

• Hulk
                          Mayor of Megoville
                          • May 10, 2003

If memory serves me right, Lego now owns the mego name so it could not possibly use the mego name. I could be wrong but I thought Lego bought the rights to the name after mego went under because it was too similar to Lego. EMCE has it's niche in the toy world mainly copying and making toys that mego did not make (like Sulu, Checkov) which I think in itself is pretty cool. In my opinion they are not megos though. I'm not trying to inflame,hurt, bother anyone. Just giving an opinion. I think it's great that EMCE is so widespread in the comic shops. Ok, with that being said, I'm heading to my local comic shop to see if they have any figures.
                          Lego does not own the name, they just prevent its use for toys due to Trademark issues related to the similarity to the name. I don't think EMCE even tried to trademark it.

United States - Famous Mark Enjoys Broad Trademark Protection

The original trademark...

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

Marty's 1st attempt to revive it (detailed in the article above)...

My attempt to slip under the Lego radar...

Castaway's attempt to slip a variation by Lego...

The question is, is anyone ready to truly fight Lego on this issue using a different argument. I know I dropped my fight after one very terse letter. You would have to have some deep pockets. Let's hope this 2nd attempt has some legs. Makes you wonder why anyone would want to take on Lego, DC and Marvel unless they had the backing of at least 2 out of three...

(Chew on THAT application peoples... makes you wonder if Doc knows something here....)

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

I guess I just find the arguement strange that EMCE shouldn't be called Megos...when they look amost identical. But nobody has a problem with the "Custom Mego" section(I guess it should be renamed 8" Custom Figures)...when Customs probably have even less right to be called "Megos", as they often use new Sculpts enlarged, or Sculpted from scratch, or Mego Heads modified in some way, etc...

All I know is, that when I saw that Cornelius in My Hand...it looked just like a Mego to Me! I had sold one on the Card(a little bit ruff Card), and had regretted it ever since. But when I picked up that Cornelius on Tuesday...that regret went away. Because you see...I'm just as happy with a "Repo"!! Thank You Doc Mego!!
                            sigpic

Comment

• txteach
                              Banned
                              • Jun 17, 2005

BTW I just got back from Bedrock city (a comic shop in Houston) and they had a lot of EMCE figures. No Mugato or Uhura though. Looks like it's off to megoville for them. I did buy another soldier ape there and ya bat, I understand the feeling.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎