Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone here grow up watching Kolchak: The Night Stalker?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Did anyone here grow up watching Kolchak: The Night Stalker?

I loved watching that show late at night when I was a kid and grabbed the box set the day it came out . The stories were pretty simple in their telling but it's a great time piece. A wonderful reminder of those days when werewolves, Jack the Ripper, or basically anything that went creak in the night was more than enough suspense for anyone with a descent imagination. Good times...
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

I saw these in the early 90's re-run on CBS late Friday Nights. I thought they were pretty damn scary for a prime time show from the 70's. If I had seen these as a akid I'd have been in a psycho ward now. It is a great show.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Yep, my mom was cool and used to let me stay up for anything SF or horror related.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I don't remember it from when I was a kid; but I must have seen it, since my folks were all fanatics for it. I got the VHS set about ten years back and absolutely love the show! You gotta cut them some slack effects-wise; but I thought the stories and especially the characters were cool. (Kolchak himself being unique in the horror hero category since he's not particularly bright or brave; but he is tenacious.) Even the background characters were entertaining. (Especially Gordy the Ghoul and the police captain that tried using understanding on Kolchak. Hee hee....)

What I thought was nifty was how they used the classic mythological stories for the monsters; such as the Rakshasa, or killing a zombie by filling it's mouth with salt and sewing the lips shut.

...and before it comes up; I really hated the new one. Hmmm.... Kolchak's now a hip young hipster? Wow... way to make it like everything else.

Don C.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I remember watching them new.

My buddy would come over every--- I think Thursday night and we'd watch them.

Not 100% sure on the Thursday memory.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I started watching them when I was 15 on CBS late night, my dad had seen them all before. I think my dad suffered from mild insomnia as he had always seen it before.

Also saw the movies around the same time, I was addicted.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

For the longest time, the only ones I owned on tape was the 2-episode smash together "Crackle of Death"

They played it late night back in the early 80's and I taped it.

Weird thing about "Crackle" .....
              There was so many better episodes that could have been put together to make a decent TV movie....
              Crackle's stories were mediocre at best.

Comment

• megocanada
                Permanent Member
                • Apr 18, 2003

Loved them all, my favorite was when he took on the vampire in LA and Richard Anderson in Seattle (I think)
                the greatest Superman of all time Earth 2 Superman

Comment

• Marvelmania
                  A Ray of Sunshine
                  • Jun 17, 2001

One of my all time favorite shows!

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 10, 2006

i saw as a kid back in the 70s loved it then and still love now, forget about the lame remake the orincal was great the best in mho is the headless motorcycle rider followed by the one he's in an underground storage vault. to bad they never did a second season

Comment

• mego73
                      Printed paperboard Tiger
                      • Aug 1, 2003

I remember seeing it as a kid and it made an impression. I always love that stuff

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Boris71
                        GeekBot' For Life
                        • May 13, 2007

I watched it on the reruns in the 90's too, and I got the dvd set as soon as I saw it and it was as cool as I remembered Can't say I like the new version of it though with the guy who played lestat in queen of the damned
                        Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎