X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Peter David's HULK

It appears many of us are fans of Peter David's legendary decade long run on The Incredible Hulk.

Which era was your favourite? There were so many great extended story-arcs and fantastic artists running through the title.

For me, my favourite run was the Multiple Personailty Disorder phase where Banner was turning into both "Mister Fixit" Gray Hulk and the Green Hulk. Dale Keown came on board and provided killer artwork in the storyline leading up to the "Merged Hulk/Professor" era.

The most dissappointing was the Liam Sharp post-Pantheon run. Mainly because I am just a HUGE fan of Liam Sharp's work, and is was dismaying to see Sharp literally self-imploding in the pages of one of my favourite titles month after month. In theory, The Hulk is tailor-made to the strengths of an artist like Sharp who was just coming off a great run on Death's Head 2.

Some of the best artists working in comics went through the Hulk during Peter David's tenure... Todd McFarlane, Gary Frank, Dale Keown, George Perez, Sam Keith, Andy Kubert, Liam Sharp,
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

My favorite Hulk artist, hands down, was Sal Buscema. He didn't have a really long run in the 70's but while he did, he was fantastic. I grew up as an artist so I find much of my illustrations still heavily influenced by his work. You might be more familiar with his brother's work, John Buscema who had a verylong run with Conan. Almost anyone who was a fan of the Conan comics knows his work.

Comment

• The Sentry
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 3, 2007

Now THIS is my thread right here! Yeah Peter David's Hulk was one amazing run! I can say that I proudly own all 12+ years of Hulk work Peter David did to make the Hulk what he is today! EVEN "What Savage Beast", if anyone hasn't read that classic I highly reccomend you to!

My favorite artists are Sal Buscema (yeah I'm a huge Conan fan as well, and I love John's work too Sal did some for the S.S.O.C. Savage Sword of Conan)
      Salk, finest hour was issue #300 that is still the best comic I personally ever read. It's the comic I have over a dozen of!
      Toddy Mac did one helluva good run,

Jeff Purves did a great interpretaion of Joe Fixit gritty hardnosed work that the story called for.

Keown well, cause, ummmmmmmmm, damn. He's just awesome.

Ol' double "JR" I think does him best! Issuse 25 was a classic comic!
      I mean the brutalityu shocked even me for God's sake!

His art in World War Hulk #1 was Incredible!

So if I had a fave it would be John Romita Jr.
      Last edited by The Sentry; Jun 26, '07, 1:03 AM.
      sigpic
      http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
      [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Gotta go old school and go with the Tales to Astonish period. Great artists like Kirby, Ditko, Severin, Everett, etc all worked on the Astonish book.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
          Stays Crunchy in Milk
          • Aug 2, 2004

David's Hulk was great. The Mr Fixit arche led right into the smart Hulk. David dropped hint after hint until finally all of Banner's personalities were merged. It was brilliant. After that I thought it lost something, and at times David got politically preachy. Things he's written recently are OK, but the early days of his Hulk run were inspired.
          Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by MIB41
            My favorite Hulk artist, hands down, was Sal Buscema. He didn't have a really long run in the 70's but while he did, he was fantastic. I grew up as an artist so I find much of my illustrations still heavily influenced by his work. You might be more familiar with his brother's work, John Buscema who had a verylong run with Conan. Almost anyone who was a fan of the Conan comics knows his work.
            I actually really loved Sal Buscema's expressive artwork on Spiderman... particularly issues paired with writer JM Dematties.

His Harry Osborne Goblin was perfect in capturing the duality and madness of that character's inner turmoil.

Originally posted by The Sentry
            Now THIS is my thread right here! Yeah Peter David's Hulk was one amazing run! I can say that I proudly own all 12+ years of Hulk work Peter David did to make the Hulk what he is today! EVEN "What Savage Beast", if anyone hasn't read that classic I highly reccomend you to!
            I wish Peter David would have done more prose work on the Hulk. Even the Hulk film adaptation was really well done. What Savage Beast was fantastic, as was the short prose story that eventually became "Hulk: The End" with the fantastic Keown art.

What did folks think of Peter David's brief return to the title in recent years?

My second favourite run of The Hulk after David's are the Paul Jenkins years, which I feel ended prematurely. The Devil Hulk stuff was fascinating and heading to some pretty interesting territory when it was abandoned. I loved the Hulk/Darkness crossover pairing up Jenkins and Keown.

Any bets on whether or not the Pantheon appear either during or after World War Hulk? I'm really suprised that no one else has picked up on what is left of those characters since David's Hulk run.
            Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 26, '07, 11:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• brineb
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 26, 2006

My favorite Hulk era was the Herb Trimpe days when he was constantly being hounded and just wanted to be left alone!!!

I also love Sal Buscema, his Defenders run was a favorite of mine.
              I also play with other dolls:
              http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎