X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mitchedwards
    Mego Preservation Society
    • May 2, 2003

The last survivor of the first American flag-raising over Iwo Jima has died

RICHFIELD, Minn. (AP) The last survivor of the first American flag-raising over Iwo Jima during World War Two has died.

Charles Lindberg of Richfield, Minnesota, was 86. He grew up in Grand Forks.

Lindberg died yesterday at Fairview Southdale Hospital in Edina (ee-DYE'-nuh), according to the director of the funeral home that's handling arrangements.

Lindberg spent decades explaining that it was his patrol, not the one captured in the famous photograph by Abe Rosenthal of The Associated Press, that raised the first flag over the island.

In the late morning of February 23rd, 1945, Lindberg fired his flame-thrower into enemy pillboxes at the base of Mount Suribachi and then joined five other Marines fighting their way to the top.

He was awarded the Silver Star for bravery.

After his discharge in January 1946, Lindberg went home to Grand Forks until 1951, when he moved to Richfield and became an electrician.

In an interview with the A-P in 2003, Lindberg recalled two of the men found a big, long pipe there, "tied the flag to it, took it to the highest spot we could find and we raised it." The moment was captured by Sergeant Lou Lowery, a photographer from the Corps' Leatherneck magazine, but three of the six men never saw his photos. They were among the 59-hundred Marines killed on the island.

Last month, Lindberg attended groundbreaking at the site of a new veterans memorial in Richfield.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?
  • saildog
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 9, 2006

Just saw this and oddly enough, I've been watching Band of Brothers all morning. I realize this was a different theater of WWII, but all morning I kept thinking about how remarkable the WWII Vets are and how we lose so many of them everyday. Just open up a paper each morning and almost without exception there is an obit for a WWII Vet. They are disappearing fast.

Sad to lose the last one from one of the most historic moments every captured on film.

RIP, Mr. Lindberg, and enjoy being with your buddies again.

Comment

• txteach
      Banned
      • Jun 17, 2005

He was definately in the greatest generation ever in the U.S.. Rest in peace hero!

Comment

• Adam West
        Museum CPA
        • Apr 14, 2003

Did I hear that the last U.S. WWI veteran died this past year or am I just imagining things?

My grandfather fought in that war and was gassed in the trenches of Ardenne. He died around 1976 or so.
        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

wow that's sad,I was just watching Flags of our fathers the other day,great movie if you haven't seen it
          RIP buddy
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

May he rest in peace.

And, yes, "The Flags Of Our Fathers" is a really good movie. I recommend it, as well.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• saildog
              Permanent Member
              • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by Adam West
              Did I hear that the last U.S. WWI veteran died this past year or am I just imagining things?

My grandfather fought in that war and was gassed in the trenches of Ardenne. He died around 1976 or so.
              Four or five left in the UK, at least one in Canada, and three known in the US.
              What you were looking for wasn't found. Maybe we can help you figure out where to go.

Comment

• theantiquetiger
                Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
                • Nov 12, 2005

Originally posted by Adam West

I think one of the remaining 17 died in the last few months, not the last.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hulk
                  Mayor of Megoville
                  • May 10, 2003

RIP Mr Lindberg.

Been meaning to watch the "Flags of our Fathers" movie. Does that movie address this guy, or just the men in the famous photo?

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

I saw it a few months ago, and if I recall correctly (which is iffy), it depicts the first raising (and taking down), then the second. And the rest of the story mostly follows the men who raised it a second time, and how the govt exploited them (and the picture's huge popularity) to raise money for the continuing war effort, with little consideration for their various issues and post-traumatic stress.

Comment

• Mr Mego
                      Love to play with Megos
                      • Oct 19, 2003

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                      May he rest in peace.

And, yes, "The Flags Of Our Fathers" is a really good movie. I recommend it, as well.

- Ian
                      Yeah, me too....

My real father and I watched that movie in few months ago, it's really good movie.

My Grandfather Malcome Wollard who fought World War II:

Germany War on the battleground

Vietnam War

And North Korean War

He had over 7 bullet holes in the body, he went to the hospital and then go back to war again, over again. He's a BRAVE man!!!

He died in 1987 of Lungs and Liver Cancer....... R.I.P Grandpa....
                      Last edited by Mr Mego; Jun 27, '07, 12:39 AM.
                      Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• Adam West
                        Museum CPA
                        • Apr 14, 2003

Letters from Iwo Jima is also a really good film.

Most of the war films you see are from the viewpoint of the U.S. military. This one was from the viewpoint of the Japanese Imperial Army who were sent to defend Iwo Jima.

It was an ironic twist to watch scenes in which "the enemy" showed compassion to a U.S. Soldier POW, while the U.S. soldiers showed none to two Japanese soldiers who surrendered. There are always two sides to every story and even though we were at war with Japan, many Japanese soldiers were there fighting because they were told to and were defending their country plain and simple.
                        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎