X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1982 week begins with G.I. Joe

I wanted to write a big long preface to this week but it was nice outside yesterday and I forgot about it. To be brief, 1982 represented the time when I stopped playing with toys, I drifted aimlessly until I started collecting them three years later.
    One of the last toylines I picked up was the first wave of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero. The adventure team was such a big influence on me, I didn't care if I ran into a school pal while buying these at Woolco (OK I looked over my shoulder). When I got them home, I basically just posed them and they sat on a shelf. I'm not sure if it was the last gasp of childhood or the early beginnings of a collector.
    Seeing what the first issue RAH figures go for, the collector in me wishes I'd kept these.
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

With all due respect to you 80s babies, the 12" Joe is the only one for me!
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I resisted the RAH figures for a time. Being born in 1974, I never had any of the older Joes, and I didn't like "Army" stuff much, for some reason. But as I saw more figures, more inventive characters (beyond the original Green Team guys) and those great Marvel commercials (pushing the toys AND the comics!), I finally couldn't stand it anymore. I bouaght Zartan and Duke, and then I was buying every figure I could find. And the cheap vehicles too. For some reason I never got into getting the really big playsets or vehicles. I do remember pondering if I should buy down the marked down USS Flag aircraft carrier with my saved up allowance. I really didn't have anywhere to put it though (who did?)>

I did have the Skystriker jet. Man, was that thing sweet. A jealous "friend" decided he'd see if it could really fly. Cobra couldn't have destroyed it more effectively.

YO JOE!!!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

Man i had every Joe you could imagine,I still have some left.This has to rank in the top of my favorite toys growing up,It was probably the toys I played with the most,What made them so darn cool,were the freakin' cartoons

I watched them every morning before going to school

Shipwreck and Cobra Commander where the best
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
          Museum Super Collector
          • May 18, 2007

I have to agree with Hardy Girl on this one, the 12 inch Joes were the only way for me to go too. In 1982 I was 15 and in High School but I still had a few of my Adventure Team Joes and bad memories of the whole Super Joe debacle from only a few years earlier. When hasbro decided to copy the Kenner Star Wars figures (which I did like) I decided these little imposters weren't welcome in my house and that is still the rule to this day. I decided i would rather save up my money and try to find the original Joes I loved. I didn't get back into buying any of the current stuff until the 12 inch Jo was reintroduced in the early 90's.
          - Sweep

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Sweep Secondhand
            I have to agree with Hardy Girl on this one, the 12 inch Joes were the only way for me to go too. In 1982 I was 15 and in High School but I still had a few of my Adventure Team Joes and bad memories of the whole Super Joe debacle from only a few years earlier. When hasbro decided to copy the Kenner Star Wars figures (which I did like) I decided these little imposters weren't welcome in my house and that is still the rule to this day. I decided i would rather save up my money and try to find the original Joes I loved. I didn't get back into buying any of the current stuff until the 12 inch Jo was reintroduced in the early 90's.

wow you don't know what you missed,these things were alot more fun to play with then the Star Wars ,Just cause of the way the bodies moved

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Yeah,I was into Star Wars big time when these came out and was jealous of the fact these guys could move at the elbows and knees. I've since added the 3 3/4" line to the lines that I collect.

Comment

• The Sentry
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 3, 2007

God for a second there I thought I was 9 years old again! WOW! I remember that ad! Damn, it seems like yesterday!
                sigpic
                http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by The Sentry
                  God for a second there I thought I was 9 years old again! WOW! I remember that ad! Damn, it seems like yesterday!
                  yeah man Time flies dude,look at that $10.99 for the 3 pack,that's like $400 now if you could even find one

Comment

• ramsey37
                    • Jun 18, 2001

I was a senior in high school in 1982. The closest I ever came to owning any of the mini Joes was when I picked up the first issue of the Marvel comic. I was an Adventure Team fan as a kid in the 1970's.
                    George

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • May 18, 2007

Originally posted by toys2cool
                      wow you don't know what you missed,these things were alot more fun to play with then the Star Wars ,Just cause of the way the bodies moved

In relation to the Star Wars figures I have no doubt that you are correct. I was on my way out (at least for five or six years) of toy buying at that point and quit buying the Star Wars stuff after Empire Strikes Back. I just felt that the 3 3/4 Joes were a cash in on the small action figure craze that Star Wars originated and they did not deserve to trade on the good name of the original Joe figures. Had they established themselves as a completely different toy line I would have probably been more charitable towards them.
                      - Sweep

Comment

• Sowth
                        Career Member
                        • Mar 14, 2006

I stopped buying as a kid in 83 after the first batch of Jedi figures came out so I never got into the modern 3.34 inch Joes either.

Was a big fan of Adventure Team though and now I have a bit of vintage Joe stuff (big and small) and love it all!!

Cheers,
                        Will
                        Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎