X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marillion
    Village Idiot
    • Apr 7, 2007

Can y'all help me find this comic?

I've been looking 20+ years for this comic...can you peeps keep a look out for me? The Black Hole #4, published by Whitman.

It is my Holy Grail of comic books. Incredibly rare...I've never seen one for sale.

Peace,

Chip
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I am going to Green Shift Comics this weekend, I will check.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• number 6
      Village Idiot
      • Jul 10, 2003

I heard that one's a pretty tough one to find. I've been looking for it myself and haven't found one. But then again, I haven't been looking very aggresively and I'm looking for a high-grade copy.

We got a collectible show at the mall this weekend. I'll keep my eye out for it. Does it matter to you what condition it's in?

Comment

• marillion
        Village Idiot
        • Apr 7, 2007

At this point, no. I'd be just happy to have one to read the damn thing!

Peace,

Chip

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
          MeGoing
          • May 14, 2003

Urgent pm sent...

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
            MeGoing
            • May 14, 2003

Attention Chip:

Chip,

I bought one on Aussie Ebay on your behalf...the last one went for au$59, so I figured you would probably want this one which I got for au$9.50 (plus $8 postage, total US$14.60)...

I bought it for you because I thought you might not see the auction (with the link I sent you before it ended with only 14 hours to go when I found it), and I figured if I had been hunting for something for 20 years, I would want someone to do the same for me. Anyway, if you don't want it that's okay, I'll just resell it...let me know.

Cat

Comment

• HugoDeVries
              • Apr 22, 2008

The History of the Black Hole Comic Book

Thought my first post on the forum should be about something i know and one thing i know is Black Hole Comic Books!

Info on the series i hard to find and highly incomplete, (bit like the rumours about the Black Hole Cartoon series, search and you might find pics of the cels but not the series!! Try finding info on that!)There were actually 6 issues of the Whitman BH comic book published in a range of formats around the world.

Issues 1-2 were the movie adaption and they had 3 main variants.
              1) The Original Art - if you’re lucky enough to track some down it shows that the book was initially drawn with far more detail and movie accurate faces (Espec Durant and Booth, they actually look like Durant and Booth)
              2) The US editions - published either as a Disney Showcase iss 54 double issue or as iss 1 and 2 of the series with artwork redrawn (probably a likeness issue) sadly in a more cartoony style.
              3) The UK edition - a single issue movie adaption the art was altered again, with panels cut and pasted to alter layout and Durant redrawn yet again, plus other minor alterations

Issue 3 - the first of the beyond the black hole stories and bundled with iss 1&2 in prepacks. These 3 are v common

Issue 4 - the infamous US issue, an Overstreet guide article estimated around 200 copies existed (though ironically the article caused the issue to jump out the wood work and crop up more frequently, it was impossible to find before hand, people start to look for things when they are rare!). The rarity is likely due to it being late published due to delays with the cover artwork, (notation on the back of the original cover art). The issue was published in other languages around the world, (as were most issues) South America had a version with the same cover that’s even harder to find.

Issue 5 and 6 - never seen any information about these but they do exist. The German comic series lasted for 3 issues each double length (iss1 has the movie adaption; iss 2 has the US iss3&4 while iss 3 has iss5&6). These were not drawn solely for the German market, as the art style and story matches and continues the US one (it concludes their adventures in the alternate universe, meeting Kate's father who Max kills and the 2nd death of Hans who turns out to be a robot!). The issues can be found regularly on German Ebay. I’ve never seen these stories published elsewhere and not in English.

US Newspapers and France - the final version was the Jack Kirby Newspaper strip published in the US (again 2 versions the full and the half page, the latter having panels edited out) the lucky French had the Kirby strip collected together for their comic magazine adaption (ebay France often has a few on).

So that’s that the potted history of Black Hole Comics, if anyone has any especially foreign editions or original art then let me know!!

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

That comic was sold in GIANT quantities in Canada, it was everywhere. I have two copies right now.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• HugoDeVries
                  • Apr 22, 2008

Again that Issue 4 is really only US rare or even percieved to be rare, not readily published or avaliable there while stock was closed out around the world, turning up in Canada, Oz, South America etc. So US publications and collectors end up pumping up its rarity, though its certainly rarer than the other issues, but does come on ebay 3-4 times a year, one sold in last week for just over $100.

So if you have a spare you might be able to make some cash, though prices have shot up recently i only paid $8 for my mint copy and 5 years or so ago the original cover painting went on and sold for less than $80.

Guess rare things are only valuable when magazines and websites proclaim them to be until then they are just the junk dedicated collectors are wishing to find! (Perfect example would be the 'rare' star wars blue snaggletooth compared with the 'junk' Police Academy Captain Harris figure, he might not sell for much but just try to find that Harris!!! if anyone does..remember me hint hint!!)

Comment

• monkey tennis
                    "Kiss my face."
                    • Jun 8, 2007

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                    Chip,

I bought one on Aussie Ebay on your behalf...the last one went for au$59, so I figured you would probably want this one which I got for au$9.50 (plus $8 postage, total US$14.60)...

I bought it for you because I thought you might not see the auction (with the link I sent you before it ended with only 14 hours to go when I found it), and I figured if I had been hunting for something for 20 years, I would want someone to do the same for me. Anyway, if you don't want it that's okay, I'll just resell it...let me know.

Cat

Wow Cat, what a cool thing to do.
                    "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎