• Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

The Sound of Drums SPOILER-thread--

Hey guys,
    Here's the deal.....
    My secret youtube links for watching the 3rd season was finally found out.
    The person just got booted......

Leaving me not knowing what's going to happen on The Sound of Drums and the last episode...

I read on another site a lot of fans were not happy with this story....

So tell me....

What's up ?

and don't be afraid of spoiling...

I NEED spoiling--- because I have nothing else
  • MirrorSpock
    8" Star Trek Guru
    • May 7, 2004

I don't want to spoil TOO much...but I do want to explore the identity/significance of the Toclafane. The Master tells the Doctor (regarding the Toclafane's identity) that "If I told you the truth, your hearts would break." Knowing RTD's love-affair with anagrams, I punched the name into an Internet anagram generator, and here are some of the interesting results:

fatal once
    locate fan
    ocean flat
    fact alone
    a fecal ton (!)
    a fetal con
    a fat clone
    flea on cat
    a lone fact

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but how many times has RTD dazzled us with an anagram? Just putting it out there, for what it's worth...

Kevin

Comment

• YANOULI
      Part-Time Timelord
      • Jan 9, 2006

I have to say that after watching Utopia and getting psyched up for this episode i was left slightly disappointed.

As for the Toclofane, i'm guessing it has something to do with the Timelords based on the Master telling the Doctor it would break his hearts if he knew the truth about them.

What was up with the Cloudbase ( sorry, Valiant )? It's straight out of Captain Scarlet.
      " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Here's a quote from another site forum.........

So if it's true that The Master brings back the Time Lords, this would be one sure-fire way to make The Master, who was once a criminal, suddenly become their savior -- and a surefire way to turn The Doctor, who killed them all, into their greatest enemy.

The Doctor KILLED the Timelords ?

Comment

• danadoll
          Micronaut Nut!
          • Apr 11, 2005

Mike (and everyone else)...I posted the episode parts here (but watch them assap)...

Catch them before they're gone.... Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGp_qR6g2h0 Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJLrfBhh_qU&mode=related&search= Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMOygVfogIU&mode=related&search= Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoqum8zCu0&mode=related&am

Dana
          "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by YANOULI

As for the Toclofane, i'm guessing it has something to do with the Timelords based on the Master telling the Doctor it would break his hearts if he knew the truth about them.

I agree,
            For all we know they might be partly-resurected Timelords that are planning to steal Human bodies.....

Hey, that's pretty clever

Comment

• danadoll
              Micronaut Nut!
              • Apr 11, 2005

The Master asks the the Doctor if he recalls hearing fairy tales/stories about the Toclafane, when they were children on Gallifrey (the Doctor says it's made up name for the Bogeyman? Bogeyman of Gallifrey, perhaps?). The episode also revealed how the Master has returned. I also have to wonder who or what his wife, Lucy is?

What if the Toclafane are exiled criminal Time Lords? Jack mentions hearing legends about Gallifrey and he wonders aloud about how such a wonderful society could produce the criminally-minded Master...Maybe he wasn't the first?

The Master seemed to know about how many Toclafane there are and he used the Paradox machine built from the TARDIS to rip in what appeared to be time/space...Freeing them. Maybe he's bringing the Time Lords back...Just not the good ones?

I dunno.

Dana
              Last edited by danadoll; Jun 24, '07, 2:09 PM.
              "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Toclofan is french for "fool the fan" and that part creeped me out.

I loved the Master throughout this, so smug he couldn't contain it. Very funny that he's handing out Jelly Babies in one scene.

Very clever and original of RTD to have his indestructable Captain character now stationed on a floating airbase, never seen that before....
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

I think they were leading us to believe that the Toclafane were the remnants of the Time Lords to lead us away from the "twist" that they were in fact that last of humanity that The Doctor (and The Master) had helped to free in in the previous episode. That was what was so heartbreaking about it... humanity is in fact doing it to themselves. In the same way we are dooming future generations of humanity with our ignorance and laziness (in terms of the way we treat the planet and it's resources for example), it's the future of humanity come back to save itself by dooming the present day humans.

"I Forgive You" and the Doctor deciding that he would take the burden of being The Masters caretaker was so distinctly old school "Doctor Who" in it's execution. Something I thought they had gotten away from when they first brought back The Doctor as the more vengeful ninth doctor who was willing to be a bit more brutal with his enemies.

Given the fact that the Master has shown the ability to take over and possess other bodies (as seen when he took Nissa's father and became the Anthony Ainley incarnation). I'm very much interested in seeing if they are going with a female Master next season as hinted in the final scene with the ring.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• YANOULI
                    Part-Time Timelord
                    • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by samurainoir

"I Forgive You" and the Doctor deciding that he would take the burden of being The Masters caretaker was so distinctly old school "Doctor Who" in it's execution. Something I thought they had gotten away from when they first brought back The Doctor as the more vengeful ninth doctor who was willing to be a bit more brutal with his enemies.
                    I think the whole forgiving the Master, on this occassion, was purely down to the fact that the Doctor didn't want to be alone again.

Originally posted by samurainoir

Given the fact that the Master has shown the ability to take over and possess other bodies (as seen when he took Nissa's father and became the Anthony Ainley incarnation). I'm very much interested in seeing if they are going with a female Master next season as hinted in the final scene with the ring.
                    Previously when the Master has taken over over peoples bodies it's been through using alien means, by that i mean not his normal Timelord abilities, and it was only meant to be a stop gap until he could accquire a proper body for himself.

I still think he has used the Doctors hand to clone a new body and used the ring to contain his " soul ", much like the watch, until it can be transferred to the new body.
                    Last edited by YANOULI; Jul 11, '07, 6:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎