Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bedrock
    • Jun 23, 2007

Looking to Id an old playset

I wish I had pictures but all I have is a memory. I got this in the early 70's I would say '73 but I am not sure. It was a mining type set that had one or more dump trucks that followed a track by a hand cranked chain I remember the chain was was somewhat plastic and resembeled the type of chain you would have dog tags hanging from but plastic. There was a scoop that would pick up material like Diamonds or coal and and you could load the trucks and then turn the crank and the trucks would move. I seem to recall it being named some kind of Black Diamond Mine. It was not a large scale playset I would say it wasnt much bigger than a child's school desk top and the trucks may have been slightly larger than match box or hot wheels. I have been searching for this thing for a long time. Please help if you can and thank you in advance.
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Wish I could help more... but I remember the set; but can't recall what it was called. I think there were a couple different ones, including a fire and rescue one.

I can picture the comic ads for them, but still can't name them....

Don C.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Gosh, I recall that too, bad damned if I know what it was called. Hmmm. Now, that bothers me.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

re

New to the board, but I think i can help you out. After reading your post it gave me a very vague recollection of a toy I used to have that sounds exactly like what you are after. A quick trip to the garage and digging in a box brought out some parts to the following. I have more of this still in the box but I think this is what you are after.

If this is it, the item says it was made by TOMY, 1977. The truck in the pic has "big loader" written on the side and I think this is what the collection may have been called

Last edited by mazinz; Jul 3, '07, 12:29 AM. Reason: typos
        "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Is this it? I seem to remember some "coal" with it. Maybe it's in there.

Well, if so, this one is up on ebay right now (MIB from 1977..$9.99 right now).

By the way, really good work, Mazinz and welcome to the board!

- Ian
          Last edited by EmergencyIan; Jul 3, '07, 6:46 PM.

Comment

• mazinz
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 2, 2007

re

Thank you. I 'am glad I found the board (forgot what I was looking for but Google brought up this site). It is also nice to see some of these toys again even though I have no room or funds for them
            "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by mazinz
              It is also nice to see some of these toys again even though I have no room or funds for them
              I feel your pain!

- Ian

Comment

• bedrock
                • Jun 23, 2007

I remember that set and thats not the one Im looking for although some digging around may get me closer. The one I am looking for had Terrain to it as well. I could be wrong but wasnt the Big Loader motorized. What I'm looking for was a manual hand cranked set. This is close but not it.

Thanks for digging

Comment

• tmthor
                  God of Knock-offs
                  • Nov 29, 2005

Tomy Still make it & sells it today, only now they make it for Thomas the train. In fact they were B1 Get 1 Free at KB toys last week. Also I remember seiing it a a TRU 3-4 years ago as just the "Tomy Big Loader Construction Site"

Comment

• Megosean
                    Old School Megoer
                    • Jun 2, 2007

Funny

Man that is hilarious that they still make that.
                    I have way, way, way too many toys.
                    http://www.toysyouhad.com

Comment

• tmthor
                      God of Knock-offs
                      • Nov 29, 2005

Not only do they still make it it is a big seller as well.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎