X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Who is the best Dracula?

I know most are going to say Bela, and without a doubt he deserves credit for creating the Dracula known to EVERYONE. You may have never read the book, or even seen ANY vampire movie and you know about Bela's accent, delivery, widow's peak, cape, night-at-the-opera-evening wear, etc. Heck look at Count Floyd above! Without Bela, he wouldn't be there.

But who was the BEST, Bela's impact notwithstanding? Who got the character from the book across best? Who was the most menacing, the most believable, the most tragic, etc?

Talk amongst yourselves and discuss.

Chris
    sigpic
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I guess it all depends on how you view Dracula, the character has been interpretted as a monster, tragic hero, romantic etc...

I like my Dracula mean personally, so I've always been fond of Christopher Lee. I don't mind Bela just find the film a touch pedestrian, which isn't his fault.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mego Milk
      Custom Mego Maker
      • Jun 3, 2007

Bela, Bela, Bela.

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

Eddie Murphy !

& Then there is Leslie Nelson's...

Last edited by BlackKnight; Oct 27, '08, 11:10 AM.
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I like my Dracula mean as well. I thought Gary Oldman was great as a sympathetic Drac, but I don't like him humanized too much. So Lee gets my vote too. Frank Langella was way too smooth for me. I'd barely qualify his take as horror.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

Gary Oldman with out a doubt for me,he was the closest to the real thing.He really did look like Vlad the Impaler,I even loved Bram Stoker's version of the film the best.Still one of my favorite films ever
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• kryptosmaster
              Removed.
              • Jun 14, 2008

Christopher Lee has always been my favorite. He actually scared me way more than Bela Lugosi as a kid. Very menacing and believable. Horror of Dracula is one of my favorite films of all time (not just Dracula films). I'm sure Bela is probably closer to the actual book Dracula (I've never read it so just assuming) but as far as what typifies the classic Dracula; Lee is the one that pops into my mind's eye every time.

Rich

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Christopher Lee has always been my favorite. He actually scared me way more than Bela Lugosi as a kid. Very menacing and believable. Horror of Dracula is one of my favorite films of all time (not just Dracula films). I'm sure Bela is probably closer to the actual book Dracula (I've never read it so just assuming) but as far as what typifies the classic Dracula; Lee is the one that pops into my mind's eye every time.
                As far as the events of the book, Bram Stoker's Dracula is the closest I've seen. All the characters in the book are present, and all play the parts they did in the novel for the most part. Oldman's Dracula is different from Stoker's original take, in that they added the bits about him being Vlad at the beginning, and made him a romantic, sympathetic character.

As far as the actual character of Dracula, I'd say of the famous portrayals, Lee comes closest to mimicing the tone of the Stoker character. Lugosi's Dracula seemed more concerned with being suave and smooth whereas the novel's Dracula was pretty much a calculating, evil being as I recall. Oddly enough, no on on film seems to have really tried to capture the look of the character from the book. White hair (although it gets darker as he gets younger through the book, like Coopola's version), mustache, long nails and...hairy palms!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• wolfie
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 31, 2007

Count Duckula.

Also liked Klaus Kinski in the Nosferatu remake and also Richard Roxburgh in Van Helsing.
                  Last edited by wolfie; Oct 27, '08, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

As far as the actual character of Dracula, I'd say of the famous portrayals, Lee comes closest to mimicing the tone of the Stoker character. Lugosi's Dracula seemed more concerned with being suave and smooth whereas the novel's Dracula was pretty much a calculating, evil being as I recall. Oddly enough, no on on film seems to have really tried to capture the look of the character from the book. White hair (although it gets darker as he gets younger through the book, like Coopola's version), mustache, long nails and...hairy palms!
                    Lee did a version that is fairly book accurate, old man at the beginning, even includes the scene of walking up the castle walls. I think it's called "Count Dracula", it's European, it's been years since I saw it. As I recall, it was good, not great.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• raider5gt
                      Museum Tree Cutter
                      • Nov 25, 2007

I would have to go with Christopher Lee as my favourite,i grew up watching the Hammer flicks

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Lee did a version that is fairly book accurate, old man at the beginning, even includes the scene of walking up the castle walls. I think it's called "Count Dracula", it's European, it's been years since I saw it. As I recall, it was good, not great.
                        I've heard of that one, but never saw it. I picked up "The Vampire Book" at a discount book store a few weeks back. It's a very good reference for all things vamp, esp. Dracula. I seem to recall the author had the same opinion you did of that particular movie.

Also liked Klaus Kinski in the Nosferatu remake and also Richard Roxburgh in Van Helsing.
                        No offense, but I really disliked Dracula in Van Helsing. Something about that guy just didn't sit well with me. Can't put my finger on it. That whole movie was a good concept but bad execution in my mind. Way too "action movie-CGI fest".

Chris
                        Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Oct 27, '08, 1:21 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• BlackKnight
                          The DarkSide Customizer
                          • Apr 16, 2005

I loved the CGI In Van Helsing... I really liked the WereWolf Dracula fight at the end.
                          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Type3Toys
                            Home Of The Type3 Body
                            • Jan 18, 2005

Gary Oldman was Dracula in my opinion. Just perfect, realistic, evil and sad at the same time. Dont get me wrong, Bela Lugosi defined Dracula as a character, but it was Oldman who made the character beleivable. Surpized nobody mentioned Jack Palance. He was a cool Dracula in the 70's Dan Curtis production of the film.
                            LOOK
                            Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                            For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                            To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• ctc
                              Fear the monkeybat!
                              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Gotta go with Bela. I think his movie was really poorly done, but he was good. (And even then I don't think the movie was really BAD; but it was one of the first Universal horro movies, and I think they filmed it too much like a stage play and not enough like a movie. Makes it kinda slow.)

For strictly monsterous Drac I kinda like the guy from "The Monster Squad." No humanity, but he had that simmering hatred thing down pretty good.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎