• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoNinja
    Career Member
    • Feb 7, 2007

The future of Mego.

Hello everyone,

I would just like to hear everyone else's thoughts on what the future of Mego is. In 50 years time will all original Mego products just be piles of grey rubber long since dead along with the Mego Museum and most of it's members? Are all Mego products all doomed to a life of being nothing but worthless and forgotten?

I would hate to think that my collection is doomed to be thrown in the trash.

anyone else's thoughts?
    I the Monster Hero
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

When I'm gone I can care less what my daughter (who will inherit my collection) does with it. Hopefully I'm in a better place not thinking about dolls.

Comment

• ABMAC
      User
      • May 16, 2002

Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust.

Personally, I'm hoping to be made into potted meat that's sold in convenience stores.

Comment

• The Sentry
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 3, 2007

"SOILENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE!"

Me I think I'll give them to my great neice MyLee, she loves the Hulk at 15 months and gets all starry-eyed looking at the Megos on my shelf, so I think she's gunna be the one that gets my junk when I kick it. I just hope she loves them as much as I do.
        sigpic
        http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
        [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

I'll ask my family to put them in the casket with me If I can't have them,then no one will
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• VintageMike
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 16, 2004

Considering how many of these dolls survuved the last 30 + years I think it's going to be a bit longer the 50 years before they start falling apart.
            I'm judging by the fact I have megos that look as fresh/clean as they day they were sold. The dolls in our collection will outlive us all. Ironic in a way since many us destroyed a few megos just through excessive play as children.
            I haven't given much thought. Who knows the new people I may meet in the coming years. I may not have even met the person who I decided to leave my Megos too. All I really know is, I'm hopeful of leaving them to someone who will appreciate them.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

I dunno who'd get my stuff, but I just hope that long after we're gone, other folks like Doc Mego, Joe & Hulk won't let this line die! So that means all us MegoHeads have to share the joy w/ our kids now so they can pass it on to their children and their children's children.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

I think once our generation is gone Mego collecting is going to take a big tumble downward.

Most going prices will decrease by a substantial amount because the collector demand will decrease by a lot.

But, none of us is going to be around to see it

Comment

• Hulk
                  Mayor of Megoville
                  • May 10, 2003

Antiques Roadshow 2057 will likely have an expert appraiser with the last name of Heiler, McElveen, Adams, Crandall or Holcomb singing the praises of someone's collection, possibly owned by someone with one of those last names.

Once the technology brings down the barriers to entry though, The Mego Museum will become a major action figure and e-commerce company, with thousands of figures available for manufacture and delivery within two weeks, three weeks if you want a specific person or non stock figure cretaed. Playsets and vehicles will also be available.

Someday interviews with us may be greeted with the same enthusiasm as Kublan, Abrams or Sheller.

Comment

• MegoNinja
                    Career Member
                    • Feb 7, 2007

looking at the brighter side of things, maybe if Im still around in 50 years Mego will be cheap enough and I can finally buy a carded Iron Man
                    I the Monster Hero

Comment

• garagesale
                      Dept. of Mego Studies
                      • Aug 8, 2006

In 50 years I will be 93. I plan to still be around doing customs and working in my yard. I'll let you know how things are going then.

Meantime, my projection is that the legacy of Mego will survive, if only because of Robot Chicken. Things will come back around, and the 8-inch format will become the standard (for a while)-- and I think we're on the verge of that right now.

The price of the Megos may dip at some point when we all begin passing away, but they will skyrocket back up because of the information society we live in. Nobody will forget their value. Collectors will always know about them and always want originals, if for no other reason than their relative value.

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

In a few thousand years when the great apes become our overlords, I think Mego's POTA line might play a key role in THE CAVE during the coversation between Taylor and Zaius.

Taylor would say---- WOULD AN APE MAKE A HUMAN DOLL THAT TALKS ?

Zaius would counter back ---- WOULD A HUMAN MAKE AN APE DOLL WITH PANTS ?

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

We better start putting sound chips in these figures so that scene plays differently.

Comment

• dumbldor
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 9, 2002

Considering how cheap most Mego action figures are, I can't see them 'tumbling' too far. How much lower can Buckwheat and Potsy go? How about Ponch and Jon? How about the Waltons? Even the Apes, Monsters, and Legends are pretty cheap. Most of the Treks are pretty cheap, too, and they're going to get cheaper. Come on, think about it.

Comment

• batty
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Mar 9, 2006

Hopefully the figures will be rare antiques and our families will be rich. Maybe then I'll finally get the respect I deserve! LOLOL!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎