X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kept back
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 2, 2002

Been fun..sorta

Alot of things have come up lately. Continuous layoffs, bankruptcy, credit card lawsuits, a pending separation/divorce(wife told me outta nowher on Sunday that she didn'y know me, didn't like me, and handed me her ring and said she didn't wanna be married anymore)...worst of all, I had to admit I suck at customs. Last one came out a total turd. So it's time for me to give up the ghost. it's been fun, sorta, but it's time for me to quit embarassing myself and get outta the Mego custom game. If you see anything that you'd like to have in my gallery, PM me and make an offer. Everythings gotta go, probably cheap as I now have to find a place to live. Alot of great heads mostly from Paul Evans and Russ Pittman, they just need a coat of primer to hide my ****ty paintjobs. Got a few more parts laying around PM me if you're lookling for something. You guys have been great! Lotsa love for you all

Kelly Briggs
    (sorry for any typos. just started drinking this week!)
    Last edited by kept back; Oct 17, '08, 1:22 AM.
    Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

Kelly,

Man, you've been hit hard and that sucks. Hang in there, things have a way of coming back around no matter how bad they get.

As for customs, they don't have to be art, they should be fun. If anything, now is the time to KEEP customizing. Use it as a distraction. It's better for you than drinking!

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
      Formerly known as Del
      • Dec 12, 2004

I just checked out a few of your gallery pictures. If those first few are your customs, then you shouldn't quit. I know you said you used a lot of cast heads. But did you make those costumes? They're actually pretty good, and it looks like you have a lot of potential.
      Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
      https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
      http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• LadyZod
        Superman's Gal Pal
        • Jan 27, 2007

When I have time, I customize... and by customize, I mean kitbash, since I can't sew, sculpt or paint for the life of me. I do it for fun and to entertain no one but me (and sometimes my husband, especially if it's a bad one). That's what hobbies are for.

Granted if you can make some money off of it, more power to you! But if the fun outweighs the financial gain, keep at it. If it's no longer fun, drop it.

That's my crappy advice.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
        Check out my art:
        Art Portfolio@Redbubble
        Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I can't imagine what you're going through right now but honestly I agree with everybody here in saying you need a healthy diversion right now.

Stick with it, have some fun, lord knows I'm no master but if I have a good times doing it then it's worth it.

Drinking is understandable but it isn't the way to go. Stick around and take care.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• David Lee
            The Fix-it-up Chappie
            • Jun 10, 2002

Kelly,
            Sell your stuff if you need the money... Otherwise, those are fine looking customs and I would be proud of to have made any of them. I 've seen my share of customs and customs for sale that don't even approach those, so don't let that be the reason you stop customizing. Like everyone else has said, it's a hobby and for fun and a healthy diversion for you. I can uderstand the need for dough and from that perspective you should do fine on ebay selling those... I wish you all the best, and thanks for being a great customer of Cast-a-Way Toys. I really feel for your situation and hope it get better real soon.

-Dave

Comment

• BlackKnight
              The DarkSide Customizer
              • Apr 16, 2005

Damn Kelly. I dunno what to even possibly say ,..or Add.

Best of Luck to you. ... I also Agree with Dave. Unless you Need the cash,.. I wouldn't get outta Nothing,.. & use the Hobby of Customizing as some mind release for what you have going on with you.
              ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

Hiya Kelly,

Sounds like rough times (understatement, I am sure).

I echo Davids comments from above. If you need cash, sell things. That is the good thing about toy investments. You can always get a little cash out of them if you need to. Much more than you can get from recycling aluminum beer cans. But I would not give up a hobby that seems to have given you joy in the past, even if you think your skills are not what you want them to be.

I work with professional musicians, and I play music myself. I know that no matter how hard I try, or how much I practice, I may never achieve the levels of some of my peers who have either been playing much longer, or have more innate talent than myself. BUT; I play music anyway. Because I like music. Because I think it is fun. If your toys are like that, I encourage you not to give them up, but to find a way to let them help you through your tough times.

keep on keepin' on
                rche

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

I gotta agree with everyoneon two points-
                  First- your customs are really good. I wish I good do that well with customs.

Second- sell them only if you need the money. You've been hit pretty hard right now and you this diversion does not sound like something that would worsen you situation. If you enjoy it, continue. The fact that your customs are darn good is beside the point.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• vulcan2074
                    Live Long and Prosper
                    • Mar 23, 2008

I'm So Sorry to hear that man.
                    Sammy

Comment

• fallensaviour
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 28, 2006

I'm sorry to hear that.
                      You are talking crazy though cause those customs are awesome!!!
                      I hope you take care of yourself; in time things will get better I know,I'm on my second marriage...LOL
                      We've been together for 12 years now and have 3 kids my Ex is still childless and on her third divorce.
                      I know every circumstance is different but things will turnaround.
                      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                        Career Member
                        • May 14, 2007

I always thought your custom work was top notch. Sell them only if you need the money. It sounds like you may need it too. I can understand feeling the need to take a drink. Sounds like you've been hit hit below the belt several times. But custom parts are cheaper and last longer than a hangover. Sometimes they can be the only escape from real world problems. But if you do sell them, you can always rebuild them. That's one of the many joys of custom megos.

Hang in there bud.

Bob

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

So sorry to hear about what you're going through right now. I can only agree with what has been said here already. Your customs look great, so don't give up, but use them as a distraction. Because that will work a whole lot better than drinking. Sure, drinking seems like a fun and easy solution, but it ain't.
                          Hang in there
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• LOU
                            Museum FIN-atic
                            • Nov 20, 2003

Hey Kelly,
                            First off, I think those customs pictured in that gallery are fantatsic. So much so that I can't see why you speak so badly of them. I think you should continue making customs, as many have said already. Drinking will only make things worse for you and you might even get sick; the worst to come out of Mego customizing is you wind up making an army of different characters from the DC/Marvel Universes.
                            I say now's the time to really explore your talent and occupy yourself. One thing's for sure, you certainly shouldn't be ashamed of those figures in your gallery. I can't roll a ball with Play-Doh and I could never make such figures without the help of the other talented people here on the boards.
                            Be proud of them...and Dave is right, bad things like this always somehow swing around and become better in time. I send my best to you.

Comment

• kept back
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 2, 2002

Shout out to everyone who PM'd me about buying a figure. So much is going on right now I'm going to have to hold off on selling. Everything is boxed at the moment and...everything is just such a mess. Apologies, but I just can't make it happen at this time.
                              Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎