X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

Any tips for Hawkman?

I'm moving on to customizing a Hawkman for my Mego collection. He'll probably be my last JLAer unless I move on to the heroines. My dilemma is what to do about Hawkman's wings. I've see that Doc sells "spongy" wings. Does anybody have those and could you describe the "spongy" to me? I'm afraid that those may be a little fragile. I've seen another member with hard wings and I think those might be a better fit. But my dilemma is: is there a way that the wings can be attached & removed (like a backpack) without being a permanent fixture on Hawkman?
    Scott
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

You could make them part of the harness and use something like the Mego belts for the harness straps so they can be unhooked.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• aquatroy
      Permanent Member
      • Apr 28, 2002

Any tips for Hawkman?

Don't fly in front of a jet engine.
      Preening not only adds luster but can also help weather proof your wings.
      Regular maintainance of your ancient weapons will keep them from rusting.
      You might want to keep on eye on Hawkgirl. She and Roy seem to be getting a bit close (if you know what I mean).
      and
      Put a freakin shirt on. We can see your nipples.
      Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• Action Martin
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        You could make them part of the harness and use something like the Mego belts for the harness straps so they can be unhooked.
        I was thinking about that or maybe some stretch string.
        Scott

Comment

• Random Axe
          The Voice of Reason
          • Apr 16, 2008

I think most of the wings out there are made to be permanantly attached. I believe they are designed for a one or two screw placement in the back. For that figure, I'd definitely use boot feet or put something with some weight into the boots as the wings will throw it's balance off and make it difficult to display.

BTW, I've got three Hawkman heads available, two are painted already. Let me know if you have a need in that department.

Scott
          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

Doc's wings are made outta Foam. They are Fantastic if you are going for the "MegoEsque" look.

If you want something More... Russ has some Resin Wings.
            Or StarBuck has some Silicone Wings.

Or if you have that DC Direct ED Mcgunisses HawkMan just lying around collecting Dust... His wings are fantastic for the scale too imo.

BTW... I screw will attach all the Wings described in my Post. It's painless.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• BlackKnight
              The DarkSide Customizer
              • Apr 16, 2005

& Double BTW... Doc's Wings are so Light Base,.. that you could Probably use some super Glue or Crazy Glue & Glue them into Place with what ever you are using for the Straps across his Chest... Might I suggest some Vinyl or even craft foam ?. The Glue probably won't hold with electrical Tape.
              ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• megocrazy
                Museum Trouble Maker
                • Feb 18, 2007

Pulled some wings off a Christmas angel. I usually scope em out after the holidays in the clearance bins. Bet the dollar stores have some angels that might have wings ya could clip.
                It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                  Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                  • Oct 8, 2007

Don't go flying too close to power lines, windmill towers or barbed wire fences. They are dangerous.

I have some of Russ's resin ones and they are cool. The weight isn't a major factor. I used styrene rods to attach them, but I'm not sure about the removable options. Also mine is fine for display and posing but it wouldn't stand up to the average kid playing with it.
                  "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Also, the Marvel Legends Angel wings are perfect for Mego or 9 inch and are very durable.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Action Martin
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by Random Axe
                      I think most of the wings out there are made to be permanantly attached.
                      That's probably the best solution. But I have JLA member chairs and Hawkman wouldn't be able to sit down and chat with his buddies

Originally posted by Random Axe
                      BTW, I've got three Hawkman heads available, two are painted already. Let me know if you have a need in that department.
                      Pics?
                      Scott

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Got one more suggestion. If its still around on ebay, the old Toybiz XMen original team box set comes with wings that are removable, jointed and bendy. They are on my Hawkman, that I am currently eyeing up for a revamp.

Comment

• Action Martin
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          Got one more suggestion. If its still around on ebay, the old Toybiz XMen original team box set comes with wings that are removable, jointed and bendy.
                          Hmm. I think that I may still have that set in my attic.
                          Scott

Comment

• JediJaida
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 14, 2008

Any tips for Hawkman?

Stay away from any kind of feline. Big, medium or small, they see things with feathers as food.

Be on the lookout for low flying airplanes, helicopters and witches on brooms.

Always check your wings for fleas, ticks and mites. They make the feathers itch like heck, and carry diseases. You don't want to catch Lyme disease.
                            JediJaida

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Action Martin
                              Hmm. I think that I may still have that set in my attic.
                              If not, here's a loose one. Not too bad on the price when you consider what a resin set costs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARVEL-LOOSE-ANG...d=p3286.c0.m14

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎