X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Your favourite FUNNY Books

They are called Comic Books, but so few are actually comical in the past couple of decades.

What are you favourite humour oriented Comic Books?

I love Kurtzman era Mad. Glad that they are coming out as DC archives, although the price point doesn't make them very affordable. If you are paying a premium for these, I would have much rather they put out Absolute Editions, so that you could have nice big pages where you can look at all of Bill Elder's tiny background sight gags in detail. Something that the black and white reissue Mad Pocketbooks don't really allow for, despite their more reasonable costs.

Ambush Bug is one of my all time favourites. I'm hoping that they get his stuff back into print somehow... I would prefer colour trade paperbacks, but would settle for a big Showcase Black and White volume collecting all the DC Comics Presents, Action, Supergirl and miniseries plus one-shot special.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Howard the Duck, Ambush Bug, Doom Force one shot, Mad (of course), Plop!
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by samurainoir
      I love Kurtzman era Mad. Glad that they are coming out as DC archives, although the price point doesn't make them very affordable. If you are paying a premium for these, I would have much rather they put out Absolute Editions, so that you could have nice big pages where you can look at all of Bill Elder's tiny background sight gags in detail. Something that the black and white reissue Mad Pocketbooks don't really allow for, despite their more reasonable costs.

What about the "Tales Calculated to Drive You Mad" color magazine reprints that started in 1997? They were very affordable but I don't recall how far they got reprinting the issues.

I've always liked the Disney comics myself as far as "funny books"...the one's from Dell/Gladstone/Gemstone etc.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Comic books used to be FUNNY.....? Weird....

Some of my faves:

-Army Surplus Comics. Especially #5 when they turn into the X-Men. ("Well, if he's not YOUR character.... and he's not MY character.... let's beat him up and take his wallet.")
        -Those Annoying Post Bros. But you gotta have that certain sense of humour....
        -Ambush Bug. You'll laugh so hard you'll break all your furniture.
        -Damage Control. Although I ALMOST don't consider it a comedy, since everything that happens in it is the sort of thing that would logically happen in a setting like the Marvel Universe. (Has NO-ONE suggested a lock on the Danger Room before?)

Don C.

Comment

• Megospidey
          Museum Webslinger
          • Jul 26, 2006

Anything by Carl Barks

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

Mad
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• aquatroy
              Permanent Member
              • Apr 28, 2002

I just read Tony Millionaire's Sock Monkey. Great stuff. Kyle Baker's Plastic Man is pretty good, too.
              Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Giffen's Justice League run Bwahahahaha!!!!
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Megospidey
                  Anything by Carl Barks
                  I just finished reading a collection of his Uncle Scrooge/Donald/nephews adventures repackaged as a "Duck Tales" collection, and the stuff is brilliant (despite some uncomfortable politically incorrect depictions of "ethnic"-ducks).

I'm also fond of John Severin's movie/TV parodies which appeared in Cracked Magazine during the seventies. I thought his Mork and Mindy stuff in particular was dead on.

Loved the recent Howard the Duck Max series which paired Steve Gerber up with Phil Winslade and Glen Fabry.

Garth Ennis' For a Few Troubles More/Dicks was a guilty pleasure. Hitman/Lobo had me rolling in the aisles too.

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                  What about the "Tales Calculated to Drive You Mad" color magazine reprints that started in 1997? They were very affordable but I don't recall how far they got reprinting the issues.
                  I hadn't heard of these! Were they on the news-stands?

My first exposure to Kurtzman era Mad was the Mad Super Specials from the seventies which included reprint insert comic books bound into the magazine... which resulted in torn pages whenever I tried to pull the "comic book" out of the magazine itself!

I soon discovered the novel-sized reprints.

Dragged Net. Plastic Sam. SuperDuperMan (versus Captain Marbles). Melvin of the Apes. Lone Stranger. The Mole. Miltie of the Mounties. Starchie.
                  Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 25, '07, 1:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• brineb
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 26, 2006

I loved MAD as a kid, especially the movie parodies. I also liked Howard the Duck and Ambush Bug!!!
                    I also play with other dolls:
                    http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎