X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottA
    Original Member
    • Jun 25, 2001

Mad Monster Party

I can't remember the last time I actually saw this on TV. You'd think it would be a yearly tradition in line with all the other Rankin-Bass specials we see each year during Christmas, New Years and Easter. Why is this one not shown? Or am I just missing it each year?
    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I only saw Mad Monster Party once on TV, in the late 80s. I remember coming in late on it. I had to order the DVD from Amazon last year, because I heard you guys so fondly recall it. Now I see Wal-Mart has it for like 8 bucks.

It is odd that ABC Family doesn't show this. They show even the most obscure RB stuff ad nauseum at Christmas.
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I borrowed Charlie's copy last October, I need to go now and return it immediately.

Love this movie, my kids love it. It's kind of a shame it's not in the Rudolph mode every year. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it wasn't a TV special to begin with...
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I seen it a few years ago on TV.
        I can't remember which channel but I think it was AMC.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

I bought the DVD several years ago...it's since been re-released by Anchor Bay and that one pops up at Wal-Mart around this time of year. I think I still have an old VHS copy as well...I think I taped it off WOR back in the day.
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
            Career Member
            • May 14, 2007

I remember seeing it as a kid back in the early 70's. I have the DVD from a couple years ago. The reason why this has never been a traditional show at Halloween is the running time. It's 95 minutes long. It would have to be a 2 hr time-slot. Most TV exec. didn't they could sell a 2 hr time-slot, of a night, for a "kids" show/cartoon. Any kid that would watch it went to bed at 8:00 pm, just when they would've started showing it.

Bob

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

^^^^ Yup it's too long.. you would have to give it at 7:pm and only one showing. The Rankin/Bass tv specials are mostly all one hour to half an hour. I still have my vhs copy that I taped on latenight tv...I bought the Anchor bay version Just before my daughter was born....Can't wait to start playing it for her this month.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

Man, I haven't seen this since high school. I was beginning to think I imagined it all. I wish the Family channel would show this.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I never thought about the running time. That's probably the reason. Too bad.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

I don't see why ABC Family couldn't air this half a dozen times at different times during the day during October, even at 2 hrs.
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                      OH JES!!
                      • Jul 21, 2005

What they should do is edit it for television. A standard practice for old time TV. There are bits in the movie that drag and really have no bearing on the story. A repackaged edited version would fit the one hour mode and would get play on ABC family.

Two examples are Phyllis Diller's god awful song "you're different" and the scene where all the monsters board the ship......There are also a few scenes with Yetch that could be cut out.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Two examples are Phyllis Diller's god awful song "you're different" and the scene where all the monsters board the ship......There are also a few scenes with Yetch that could be cut out.
                        Yeah, "You're Different" is a stinker. Just a badly written song. That would cut out about 5 minutes. It seems to go on forever!

One thing that's bothered me a for a while: Why is it called "Mad Monster Party?" with a question mark at the end? Seems an odd choice for a title.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                          OH JES!!
                          • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          Yeah, "You're Different" is a stinker. Just a badly written song. That would cut out about 5 minutes. It seems to go on forever!

One thing that's bothered me a for a while: Why is it called "Mad Monster Party?" with a question mark at the end? Seems an odd choice for a title.

Chris
                          Chris, I think that has a lot to do with Harvey Kurtzman and Jack Davis involvement with the project. It was supposed to be a nod to Mad magazine and the movie it's a Mad Mad Mad World. The Poster had the Classic chase style AD that was big in the sixties. never understood the question mark either....I always loved the music to the movie especially Ethel Ennis opening Bond style song and Gale Garnett who had the big hit song we'll sing in the sunshine.
                          Last edited by kingdom warrior; Oct 9, '08, 1:41 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Chris, I think that has a lot to do with Harvey Kurtzman and Jack Davis involvement with the project. It was supposed to be a nod to Mad magazine and the movie it's a Mad Mad Mad World. The Poster had the Classic chase style AD that was big in the sixties. never understood the question mark either....I always loved the music to the movie especially Ethel Ennis opening Bond style song and Gale Garnett who had the big hit song we'll sing in the sunshine.
                            Yeah, I like those two songs too. Overall the songs are pretty catchy, the "You're Different' one is the only stinker, IMHO.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• toysrus
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 23, 2007

Mad Monster

Mad Monster party rules!! I only saw that once as a kid back in the 70's I guess?

Anyway my kids watch it a lot now that Halloween is around the corner!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎