X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Favorite "type" of Classic Trek

Even though I have all of these eps on tape, I like watching them in real time as well. I watch classic Trek on TVLand every morning before going to work. Personally, I prefer the type of eps w/ aliens and weird planets. I'm not all that wild about eps that reflect real "human" life like westerns, American Indians, gangsters, even though they have good stories behind them. They just don't feel "Trek" enough.

What do you think?
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Because I used to watch Trek on Saturday mornings as a kid, episodes on alien worlds or featuring alien races tend to be my favourite.

My favourites are mostly episodes that most fans revile, their lack of nutrional value is probably why I like them.

I don't mind the "Earth history repeating on alien worlds" themed episodes but I think the series milked it too much.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

My fav Classic Trek episodes are mostly ones that are confined in the ship ...

Doomsday Machine
      Enterprise Incident
      Tholian Web
      The Naked Time
      The Ulimate Computer
      Wink of an Eye

I do have a guilty pleasure list too

The Way to Eden
      Whom Gods Destroy
      Spectre of the Gun

My stinker list is ..........

The Lights of Zetar (worst episode EVER!!!)
      The Menagerie
      The Empath (wake me up when it's over)
      KIrk as Indian story (see The Empath)
      A Private Little War (boring even with Megatu)
      City on the Edge (meh)
      Children shall lead
      Elaan of Troyius (see The Empath)
      For the World Is Hollow, And I Have Touched the Sky (about the best of the clunkers)
      Friday's Child (boring)
      Is There in Truth No Beauty? (see Empath)

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

The Lights of Zetar (worst episode EVER!!!)
        The Menagerie
        The Empath (wake me up when it's over)
        KIrk as Indian story (see The Empath)
        A Private Little War (boring even with Megatu)
        City on the Edge (meh)
        Children shall lead
        Elaan of Troyius (see The Empath)
        For the World Is Hollow, And I Have Touched the Sky (about the best of the clunkers)
        Friday's Child (boring)
        Is There in Truth No Beauty? (see Empath)
        Wow, we have pretty similiar ideas of poop lists, although I exclude City and Friday's child from being classified as bad, just overplayed. The Menagerie is also something I can't watch anymore.

I'd put the Empath as my least favourite, I find it painful.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

For Menagerie --- as a Classic Trek super-fan, I may have my membership card taken away for saying this ........
          But I never much cared for The Cage.
          Just thought it was rather boring.... It might be "Intellectually Stimulating" to a lot of fans--- but to me, it's boring as hell

If I could, i'd edit all the Cage flashbacks from the Menagerie, and that might make a more watchable story for me

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

my fav's are

The Enemy Within

Miri

The City on the Edge of Forever

But my all time favorite is the one with that Hot girl that's a robot and the guy who created her is like 500 years old living by himself in a planet and he's in love with her,anyone remember the name? Still think that's the hottest chick ever on Star Trek
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Ahhh, Requiem For Methuselah

Yea, Louise Sorel was pretty hot back then.......

BTW, TRIVIA ...... did you know that guy (the 500 year old guy) in real life is Tyne Daly's father ?

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by type1kirk
                For Menagerie --- as a Classic Trek super-fan, I may have my membership card taken away for saying this ........
                But I never much cared for The Cage.
                Just thought it was rather boring.... It might be "Intellectually Stimulating" to a lot of fans--- but to me, it's boring as hell

If I could, i'd edit all the Cage flashbacks from the Menagerie, and that might make a more watchable story for me
                The thing for me with the cage is a glimpse of what trek might have been, I really enjoyed that aspect. Although I've seen it ad nauseum so I couldn't sit through it again.

The trial scenes in the Menagerie don't add much for me, so I tend to flick past that one a good deal.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

The thing with the Cage for me----- I really don't like Captain Pike much.
                  To me, he doesn't like "his job"... and that kind of ruins the "fun" of a series.

Unlike Landau as Koenig who's FORCED into his job-- like it or not...... which makes for a GREAT story-line....
                  Pike comes off as a bit of whiner because he could just quit.

Comment

• ramsey37
                    • Jun 18, 2001

For me, my favorites have to be:
                    Arena
                    Devil in the Dark
                    Amok Time
                    Journey to Babel
                    and the Space Lincoln ep, the title escapes me at the moment.
                    George

Comment

• johnmiic
                      Adrift
                      • Sep 6, 2002

I can't seem to stop watching Bread & Circuses. I always turn to it when I am bored,( also I play Arena and Journey to Babel a lot).

I also think Let That Be Your Last Battlefield deserves some props. In an otherwise badly handled season it cuts thru all the B.S. and shows the futility of racism. I've heard many fans scoff at the concept as being simple-minded but really racism is a very basic, simplistic and nonsensical position to take whether it's people who have a 2-color face or people of 2 differrent colors.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by johnmiic
                        I also think Let That Be Your Last Battlefield deserves some props. In an otherwise badly handled season it cuts thru all the B.S. and shows the futility of racism. I've heard many fans scoff at the concept as being simple-minded but really racism is a very basic, simplistic and nonsensical position to take whether it's people who have a 2-color face or people of 2 differrent colors.
                        I'd put that one in my top ten, I think Gorshin does a great job.

Space Lincoln is another I'd put in my top eps, along with Spock's brain, Way to Eden and Whom Gods Destroy. They may not be highbrow, but they are entertaining.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Let That Be Your Last Battlefield is a decent episode...... but I look at the raciam aspect of it a bit differently today as i've grown older...

To me, it was a HIPPY style episode saying--- WE'RE ALL THE SAME, SO WE SHOULD JUST LOVE EACH-OTHER...

To many 60's Hippies, that was a fine point of view coming from their side of the fence --- meaning the WHITE happy-hippy side ......

Looking at it today..I can see Lokai's side more clearly....

He was born on the OTHER side of the fence.

He has a lot of built up anger----- which he rightfully deserves .......

And Bele is still a "KKK" guy........

It's actually a very deep episode that can only end in tragedy....
                          If it didn't......
                          I wouldn't be real.....

Comment

• mego73
                            Printed paperboard Tiger
                            • Aug 1, 2003

My favorites are a lot of the first season shows like Cobromite Manuever. But when talking classic Trek, I can't forget the animated show.

It was the first Star Trek I saw and it cemented the idea of the Star Trek "look" in my mind with eye poping color and imaginative planetary vistas even more than the live show in some cases. Yes, the animation was quite limited, but I wasn't noticing that at the time.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• ABMAC
                              User
                              • May 16, 2002

I hated the ham-fisted preachy episodes like "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." They made their points in the first five minutes. The rest was just filler.

I liked "Devil in the Dark," "Miri," and "Space Seed."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎