X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

Help Identify these Hawkman costumes

What issues did he wear these and where would I find reference pics? Thanks!!

Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Middle one is Hawkworld
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

The third one isn't Hawkman...it's Golden Eagle of Teen Titans West. Try Secret Origins Annual #3 (Teen Titans issue)...it has a nice Perez pinup of Golden Eagle. Also some of the later issues of the last Hawkman run (now Hawkgirl) has Golden Eagle in them (#38-45)

The second one is the "Hawkworld" Hawkman, but not the one from the original mini-series. Try Hawkman #1 (Sept. '93).

The first one is a "Hawkworld" Hawkman too but not sure on the issues.

The first one is from Hawkworld (ongoing not the mini) #29.
      Last edited by The Toyroom; Jun 20, '07, 9:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
        Career Member
        • May 13, 2007

The first Hawkman costume pictured first appeared in the 1990 Hawkworld series (after the Hawkworld mini) in issue 25.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Yep. The red suited one came towards the end of the Hawkworld ongoing in the early 90s. That series was immediately followed up by Hawkman, where he wore the middle costume. This was the series that was running during Zero Hour, and later on in it, Post Crisis Hakwman, Golden Age Hawkman, Golden Age Hawkgirl/woman(!), and that freaky Hawk-god merged into a NEW Hawkman, with some costume elements similar to the middle one. The last one, like others said is Golden Eagle, or the Post-Crisis version of him anyway.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

I think those red costumes look horrible, but these Truman covers actually look pretty good. I loved the original Tim Truman Hawkworld miniseries and really wished that they had just treated it like a retcon ala Batman: Year 1 (as Truman intended it to be) instead of a full reboot like the Perez Wonder Woman.

I had no clue that this Hawkman series actually lasted 33 issues during the nineties glut

!

Just to make things even more convoluted, the post Crisis Golden Eagle...

is the son of this ret-con...

What I hated most about the whole Carter Hall Jr./Fel Ander thing was the fact that it pretty much made the ending to one of the best issues of Animal Man lose all sense... if he was a spy for the Thanagarians, then why would he show Animal Man how to turn off the bomb?

I say let Superboy Prime Punch the entire Hawkworld out of existance. Including Hawkwoman, Fel Ander/Carter Hall Jr and Golden Eagle. Let Tim Truman's Hawkworld stand as Silver Age Katar Hol's origin story, and just make the Thanagerian Cop the final reincarnation of the Egyptian Prince. Makes it simple and accomodates both archeologist Carter Hall of the forties and Thanagerian Katar Hol of the latter twentienth century into one clean legacy. Particularly since they have retconned the crashed Thanagerian spaceship into the Egyptian Prince's origin.

That pretty much brings all the Silver Age Satellite era Justice League material they have been refering to in recent years (particularly in Identity Crisis) back into continuity with Katar Hol as opposed to Golden Age Carter Hall.
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I'm with you. Since Thanagar is light years away, and travel there must somehow "bend time", why couldn't Katar be the reincarnation of Carter/Khufu and they just co-exist?

Johns did the best he could with it at the time, and it did work, but other 80s/90s continuity is being ignored, so why can't we have the Silver Age Hawkman back?

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                Johns did the best he could with it at the time, and it did work...
                Unfortunately after Johns left the book it went into a downward spiral and now it's the unreadable Hawkgirl. I'd love to see a return to the Silver Age Hawks, Thanagar, the Absorbascon, Byth, Shadow Thief, Fadeaway Man all the good stuff.
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• megowgsh
                  Customego HoF Curator
                  • Nov 19, 2003

very nice.

Thanks for all the help.

Austin
                  Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Hawkworld was a great mini series, but the spin off ongoing kinda fell off the rails somewhere. You guys ought to check out the Legend of the Hawkman mini series of a few years ago. Nice retro Katar and Shiera story.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎