• Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Thieves Steal Herman Munster's Identity

I thought this was pretty clever...

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Did Internet thieves steal Herman Munster's MasterCard number?

Crooks in an underground chat room for selling stolen credit card numbers and personal consumer information offered pilfered data purportedly about Herman Munster, the 1960s Frankenstein-like character from "The Munsters" TV sitcom.

The thieves apparently didn't realize Munster was a fictional TV character and dutifully offered to sell Munster's personal details — accurately listing his home address from the television series as 1313 Mocking Bird Lane — and what appeared to be his MasterCard number. Munster's birth date was listed as Aug. 15, 1964, suspiciously close to the TV series' original air date in September 1964.

CardCops Inc., the Malibu, Calif., Internet security company that quietly recorded details of the illicit but wayward transaction, surmised that a Munsters fan knowledgeable about the show deliberately provided the bogus data.

"The identity thief thought it was good data," said Dan Clements, the company's president.

Clements said evidence indicates the thief, known online as "Supra," was operating overseas. "They really stumble over our culture. He's probably not watching any reruns of `The Munsters' on TV Land."

Herman Munster was portrayed by Fred Gwynne, who died in July 1993.

"Phishing" thieves often trick consumers into revealing financial secrets by sending e-mail requests that appear to originate from banks. A consumer's financial details can be worth $4 and $40 among online thieves, who can use the information to open fraudulent credit accounts.

CardCops eavesdrops on conversations among thieves in underground Internet chat rooms to monitor for stolen credit card numbers being sold or traded. It offers monitoring services to alert consumers whose information is compromised by hackers.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Oh man! How stupid can you get!
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

These kids today. They probably never heard of the Beatles, either.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

What an idiot
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

I think that's hilarious

what's next?
          Bruce Wayne from Gotham city
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• roman
            Persistent Member
            • Jan 25, 2003

Darn, Darn Darn, Darn !!!

You have to be kidding me ....

What's next Bruce Wayne at Stately Wayne Manor ?

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎