PDA

View Full Version : EMCE's WGSH...exact Replicas?

The Bat
Sep 27, '08, 1:30 PM
Now Doc Mego has made it no secret, that He'd like nothing better then to Repro Mego WGSH(I watched Paul's interview at Mego Meet). But the question remains...should they be exact Replica's of Our Childhood Toys? Now some of Us would like that...and others wouldn't because it might de-value the Originals.
But let's forget Us "Old-Timers" for a minute...and think about the next Generation of 8" Cloth Figure Collectors. Just say..."what if"...Paul could get these Figues into Toys R' Us, and Target, etc... Would Kids buy these sometimes silly looking Figures? I think not!:please_y: Realisticly...I think NEW Head Sculpts should be made to appeal to a wider Audience...both Kids & Mego Collectors! They could still have a "retro" look of some of the 70's(Neal Adams), or 80's(Batman:Year One)Artists...which I think would appeal to "BOTH" Generations.
A good example of this would be Troy Youngers work...Troy bridges the Gap! You know...something like this:
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/3/8/Batman-YearOne2.JPGhttp://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/3/8/BatmanAdamsCloseUp.jpg

Dave Mc
Sep 27, '08, 2:32 PM
I've always been big on the idea of updated versions of Mego characters from those that make reproductions. I would much rather see a new version of a Mego Batman, than a copy of the one I already have. That's not just because of devaluing originals, it would give me more of a reason to want these items.

Action Martin
Sep 27, '08, 2:55 PM
I wouldn't want exact copies of what Mego did but I wouldn't mind characters that were around during the Mego era that we didn't get like Flash, Green Lantern, Dr. Doom, etc.

kept back
Sep 27, '08, 3:04 PM
To do these Doc would have to get approval from DC and theres no way they would let him make superheroes without making Superman and Batman right upfront. And if that ever happens I would much rather see updated versions than an exact replica of what is already sitting on my shelf. But in all likelihood, we would get replicas of existing figures with th occasional Flash, GL, or Lex Luthor thrown in.

JediJaida
Sep 27, '08, 3:14 PM
The ones that Mego made have that 1970's kitschy look to them; with the baggy bodysuits, cheesy hairstyles, and, on the part of the females, slightly bland countenances.

I feel that if Doc were to get the license, he should definitely update the images, and make them more kicka** than they were back in the day.

I'm not saying that kitschy is a bad thing. Sometimes it's really cute, and Mego definitely fit that mold.

Of course, the male figures would have to be more buff and articulated than they were before, and the female figures would have to have better outfits, sculpts, hairstyles, accessories, etc.

If Doc should, by some miracle, get the license, the first ones out of the gate would have to be Batman and Superman.

Of course, if he were to do a Secret Identities line to go with it, he'd have to do Clark Kent, and Bruce Wayne as separate sculpts.

That's one thing that I don't remember Mego doing, was Secret Identities.

Now, with access to better materials for uniforms, better kinds of plastic and oodles of talent, I could definitely see him pulling it off.

The Bat
Sep 27, '08, 3:16 PM
I kind of thought You Guys would be with Me on "updated" versions:wink: I hope Doc chimes in as well...I'd love hear His opinion on this subject.:smile:

Wise4671
Sep 27, '08, 4:18 PM
I have an 8 year old that loves the way the original Mego's look. If Paul were able to do Heros I think they should be done exactly like the originals or why call them repro's they would be new figures not megos.

Wise4671
Sep 27, '08, 4:23 PM
JediJaida Wrote

:That's one thing that I don't remember Mego doing, was Secret Identities."

Mego did Alter Egos Check the museum (Clark Kent,Peter Parker, Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne)
pages for pics.

Meule
Sep 27, '08, 4:27 PM
Personally, I'd rather have updated figures than replicas of the originals. And hey, if DC and Marvel were to give approval I bet they'd rather have modern updated figures too in stead of figures with a 70's feel to them. Besides, what kid would recognize Catwoman in that outfit? :wink_y:

The Bat
Sep 27, '08, 4:34 PM
or why call them repro's they would be new figures not megos.

So don't call them Repros.:sarky: They're not Megos anyway...They're EMCE...Mego has been gone since 1982.:wink:

huedell
Sep 27, '08, 5:28 PM
(1)Unless EMCE totally rethought the whole concept of their
nostalgic lines, they'd be manufactured as replicas...at least first...
They are collector's toys...replicas based on an old line and that's that
when it comes to the reasons of doing this in the first place.
Add to that the other lines are doing just fine...and THEY
were produced in that manner...if it ain't broke...

and

(2) Yeah, yeah...techinically they are EMCE and not Megos
(although the replicas are meant to look like them)
STILL...Megos or not....barring any legal problem,
they'd be called "WGSH" as that's the line they'd be mimicking
just like "STAR TREK" is "STAR TREK" Megos or not.

Wise4671
Sep 27, '08, 5:34 PM
Kind of thought the idea behind EMCE was to bring the "Mego" style figures back not redo the line. Once you start making changes to them they will loose that Mego feel and become something else entirely. I'm seeing talk of bulking up the bodies and make them more modern I think that was done with The Famous Covers and look how those did.

Paul I think what you have done with Star Trek is GREAT and POTA Looks awsome as well hope you keep making your EMCE's the same as you have been.

huedell
Sep 27, '08, 5:39 PM
I'm not saying that kitschy is a bad thing. Sometimes it's really cute,
and Mego definitely fit that mold.

I guess that's a good selling point for people who want to buy "cute toys"
for their kids---or themselves or whoever.

I was pretty sure that this line was primarily aimed at collector's
though---and that's where the prime value of that "70s look" lies.

To do these Doc would have to get approval from DC and theres no
way they would let him make superheroes without making Superman and
Batman right upfront.

Wish they would have had that attitude with their recent 3 1/2 inch figure line
---I might have bought a Superman or Batman.

If EMCE Trek is any indication of the order of releases---then yeah---
they'd get Bats and Supes out pretty fast---but DC might take
a different attitude----you never know. It's interesting to guess about
though.

Characters like GL, Flash, and Lex Luthor are such a famillar names and
costumes (70s)---it'd make fine sense to get those out in the first wave,
in my humble opinion.

huedell
Sep 27, '08, 5:44 PM
Kind of thought the idea behind EMCE was to bring the "Mego" style figures back not redo the line. Once you start making changes to them they will loose that Mego feel and become something else entirely. I'm seeing talk of bulking up the bodies and make them more modern I think that was done with The Famous Covers and look how those did.

Paul I think what you have done with Star Trek is GREAT and POTA Looks awsome as well hope you keep making your EMCE's the same as you have been.

The changes EMCE has been dioscussing are minor changes---
and only AFTER Mgo-like replicas have been made.
I think as long as you keep "replicas" as the root of the company/lines
that there's a solid consistency there of a "gameplan" or whatever you'd
call it.

Famous Covers is bad example to use to compare/contrast because
they are in a different scale (not as connected to what Mego actually did
as EMCE) and, more importantly, weren't sold in the collectibles market.

The Bat
Sep 27, '08, 5:54 PM
(1)Unless EMCE totally rethought the whole concept of their
nostalgic lines, they'd be manufactured as replicas...at least first...
They are collector's toys...replicas based on an old line and that's that
when it comes to the reasons of doing this in the first place.
Add to that the other lines are doing just fine...and THEY
were produced in that manner...if it ain't broke...

Ah...but Doc's not sticking STRICTLY to the replica Business Hue...otherwise He would have slapped a brown Lizard Head on the Klingon...but instead He's giving Us an entirely NEW Sculpt!:wink_y: Not the mention adding Checkov & Sulu! Way to go Paul!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

My point was...if these ever did get to the Mass Market(like Toys R' Us)...that old Mego molded Cowl Batman Head would never fly!:please_y:

Raydeen1
Sep 27, '08, 6:17 PM
I'd want them exactly the same. Maybe with updated version as well. Like a Batman 2 pack. Exact (or as close as possible) remake and an updated version. That would be cool. As long as it goes NO WHERE near the FC look. Blech. :wink:

The Bat
Sep 27, '08, 6:22 PM
I'd want them exactly the same. Maybe with updated version as well. Like a Batman 2 pack. Exact (or as close as possible) remake and an updated version.

Hey....that's a good call...I like the 2 Pack idea!!:yes:

drmego
Sep 27, '08, 6:56 PM
Let me get a license first!

megozilla13
Sep 27, '08, 7:28 PM
I say make them exactly the same to the very last detail, even the packaging!!!!!!! offer them boxed and carded!!!!!!!!!!

mikej

megocrazy
Sep 27, '08, 7:39 PM

OK!! when??? I know I'm just starting trouble. :sarky:

I think things are looking pretty good right now. I always said WGSH too, but after seeing Jay's stuff, I have to say I'm pretty psyched. I actually think some independant characters could fill the bill. Nothing says WGSH has to be DC or Marvel. What's the true definition of World's Greatest?? Haven't customs done a pretty good job of filling the Marvel DC gaps? I am really interested to see what other independant artists are willing to put the cash to see their own designs in plastic. I'm guessing the biggest exposure will be the NY Comicon in Feb. I think Jay said he would be there, and Doc also. I want to see what other artists think of what Jay is doing. I tried some speculation and looked hard at what many said when the Trek guys came out. The overwhelming majority said EMCE should not do Kirk and Klingon,myself included honestly, but with the announcement of Diamond doing a second wave obviously speculation was wrong. If you make it they will buy, and evidently they did. Maybe we don't need licenses to get what we really need. Trek will produce 4 new figures. That was the goal. Doc said he could get there and he has. They look just like the figures Mego would have done except they're brand spankin new. Basically for collectors it's the best of both worlds. New stuff just like the old stuff. We're seeing 4 new Trek's plus Jay's characters. By no means ignoring Castaway's 4 new figures either. That makes at least 9 new figures plus any already speculated variants that will follow. What's it been, just over three years since EMCE first announced the Trek figures? I think that's pretty good. We still don't really know what the future holds. 3 years ago few thought EMCE would ever reach the Sulu and Chekov stage much less Khan and a new Gorn sculpt. This was a dream born in Paul's basement. Who ever thought any superhero would be produced. Most figured DC or Marvel would need to be involved, but perhaps the near future will prove that assumption incorrect. Maybe we'll all end up getting exactly what we want in a way we haven't even thought of yet. :smile:

JediJaida
Sep 27, '08, 8:10 PM
The reason the Famous Covers line did so badly wasn't because of accuracy; they were plenty accurate.

However, they were also ugly as all get out.

Every single one of them looked as if he/she were constipated, and had this awful rictus on his/her face!

Besides, this is Doc we're talking about. He's waaaaaaaayyyy better than those dipsticks were.

To think I almost bought their Black Widow figure way back when.

FC was in it mainly, in my own opinion, for the profits.

Doc wants to make money too, heck we all do, but he at least pays attention to what the customer wants in a collector figure!

Considering the kind of fabric that was available in the 70's for the Mego line, the ones that are available today are loads better.

Sure the fabrics were mostly knit, but were they comparable to Spandex?

No.

I would like to see a new WGSH line come out.

Ivaniski
Sep 27, '08, 8:25 PM

God willing....The good Doc could get the DC/Marvel license. I would'nt mind Superman looking something like this:

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/9/4/1/100_2437.jpg

Everything he's wearin' is reproed....Except the Head.

or a Spidey like this:http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/9/4/1/ElmioSpidey.bmp

The Toyroom
Sep 27, '08, 8:30 PM
I wouldn't be down with straight repros of Supes, Bats, Spidey, etc. Especially since so many of them are easy to obtain. I'd like to see a line extension with the always mentioned Luthor, GL, Flash, Dr. Doom etc. That would really set things on its ear instead of retro-reproducing the existing line.

huedell
Sep 27, '08, 8:38 PM
Ah...but Doc's not sticking STRICTLY to the replica Business Hue...:
Ah...but I never said he was. I noted the changes he was making in one of
my above posts replying to someone else.

My point was...if these ever did get to the Mass Market(like Toys R'
Us)...that old Mego molded Cowl Batman Head would never fly!

And MY point was that that's not what EMCE is doing and as far as I've heard
---and it isn't their goal anyway.

And that's where I say "Way to go Doc" because Anyone can make
a "new styled" Gorn doll----but a replica Mego Kirk---well, only someone
looking to give us "new" replicas of the figures we played with as kids---
a collector's figure---could give us a relaunch of "our" chidhood toys.

And...
If Doc made an "updated figure" before a classic cowl or molded head Batman
it'd be totally in contrast to the whole nostalgic "Bring back Megos"
that this line is based on.

blastphemey
Sep 27, '08, 8:44 PM
i always thoiught about this. (very good thread) they would awesome and im gonna join the band wagon about making gl, flash, luther, and some other villians and more characters mego shouldv'e made.
Also i think doc youve said somthing about htis before but i would like another reason. What is the conflict on making reproduction type 1 bodies? You said somehting about th metal pins but you could do them plastic. Let me know man!!!! ( i dont hijack this thread either i just wannt your answer.

JediJaida
Sep 27, '08, 9:09 PM
Hey Ivaniski, the pictures didn't come through.

Raydeen1
Sep 27, '08, 9:29 PM
That would be sweet!
For the 2 pack idea, imagine a larger box conatining 2 boxed Batman figures. One completely retro/repro exactly as stated, then an updated version packed alongside of it.

I'd go for strictly 100% repro though. If they offered only updated versions, I'd be less likely to buy them. 100% repro, I'd buy them all. Every figure available.

I say make them exactly the same to the very last detail, even the packaging!!!!!!! offer them boxed and carded!!!!!!!!!!

mikej

UnderdogDJLSW
Sep 27, '08, 10:09 PM
It would be cool to have a Nightwing or updated Robin, but at the same time, it would be neat to have an complete replica of a Green Arrow or Thor with all of their parts and clean clothes. Or even (and totally for nostalgia sake) see an RC batman with oven mitts fresh out of the package. That's the next best thing to time travel ;)

But if the sculpts are updated, at least have some of the heroes smile. I haven't bought any of the DC releases of Superman because they always have him looking so angry all of the time. Like he's grunting or tasting a super lemon or something.

Ivaniski
Sep 27, '08, 10:32 PM
Hey Ivaniski, the pictures didn't come through.

Pictures are back up again. Check my previous post.

Iron_fox85
Sep 28, '08, 2:51 AM
i want a repro of superman....i'm new i'm 23 and yet i have admired superman for long time. i just cant aford them on toyshows---aaaaannnd i dont trust ebay enough to start that. but a repro would be great.

i'm planning to get the keeper sometime. he's just pure kickass.

The Bat
Sep 28, '08, 6:09 AM
OK!! when??? I know I'm just starting trouble. :sarky:

I think things are looking pretty good right now. I always said WGSH too, but after seeing Jay's stuff, I have to say I'm pretty psyched. I actually think some independant characters could fill the bill. Nothing says WGSH has to be DC or Marvel. What's the true definition of World's Greatest??

Most figured DC or Marvel would need to be involved, but perhaps the near future will prove that assumption incorrect. Maybe we'll all end up getting exactly what we want in a way we haven't even thought of yet. :smile:

I like Your thinking....Who's to say WGSH has to mean Marvel or DC? Maybe it could be a NEW Character like this Guy?:wink::grin:
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/3/8/Sea_Ghost_by_jaypiscopo.jpg

Action Martin
Sep 28, '08, 6:52 AM
There are so many people out there now with repro suits, heads, accessories, blister cards, and boxes that having Doc reproing the original WGSH line would seem kind of redundant to me. Someone might not be able to afford an original Mego Superman but a repro can be made for, what, $20 give or take.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind repros of the Teen Titans. To buy mint originals is way too much money for me. And in the repro realm while there are costumes and heads available, there aren't any decent bodies for them.

Action Martin
Sep 28, '08, 7:01 AM
I always said WGSH too, but after seeing Jay's stuff, I have to say I'm pretty psyched. I actually think some independant characters could fill the bill. Nothing says WGSH has to be DC or Marvel. What's the true definition of World's Greatest??

Very true. "World's Greatest" could be characters like Tarzan, Green Hornet, Flash Gordon, Phantom, Lone Ranger, Conan, Red Sonja, and maybe some of the more prominent Indy creations like Spawn, Savage Dragon, Marvel/Miracle Man (when they figure out who really owns him), etc.

megocrazy
Sep 28, '08, 7:53 AM
I like Your thinking....Who's to say WGSH has to mean Marvel or DC? Maybe it could be a NEW Character like this Guy?:wink::grin:
http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/3/8/Sea_Ghost_by_jaypiscopo.jpg

With a nice new retro looking sculpt?? :wink_y: I'll have a Lord Hydro custom by the time I get the Commander X figure. Just gotta find some time to get back in the workshop. Got a ton of casting to do already.

JediJaida
Sep 28, '08, 9:10 AM
All right, is that Sea Ghost an actual comic book character and where can I get my greedy paws on it?

As to whether or not he'd be a good action figure HECK YEAH!

PNGwynne
Sep 28, '08, 11:02 AM
Very true. "World's Greatest" could be characters like Tarzan, Green Hornet, Flash Gordon, Phantom, Lone Ranger, Conan, Red Sonja, and maybe some of the more prominent Indy creations like Spawn, Savage Dragon, Marvel/Miracle Man (when they figure out who really owns him), etc.

Spawn & Savage Dragon? Yechh, everything that's gone wrong with comics. As if McFarlane deserved more licensing $$$ for his masturbatory "art." Besides, he already has his own toy company, let him develop his own Megoesque figs. Would they sell--what's the overlap in interest/market?

On a kinder note, I'm not going to lie--I'd love to see EMCE do King Feature, REB, Fran Striker creations, & REH figures. Even Conde-Nast's Doc Savage & the Shadow: it strikes me as something Mego might have done anyway, & these licenses still have that "retro" feel. And maybe, too, we'll see some of these from Castaway.

Heck, I'd like to see Doc properly reissue some of the lines CTVT tried--Mad Monsters, with a Sea Creature added; Knights & Merry Men--beautiful lines that deserved more respect. Wishful thinking, probably.

But to me, WGSH is by definition DC & Marvel. I think they even own the copyright to the term "Superhero."

I'd like to see flat-out reissues. But the ideas of line extensions & 2-packs sound great, too. (Two-packs might appease reservation about "antiquated" head sculpts, but they'd be expensive. And who "deserves" a 2-pack--only Batman? Maybe RC Bats will be done & therefore moot.) Isn't it all good as long as a certain Megoesque style & quality are involved?

And thrilled as I am at getting an accurate Gorn, I'd have bought a Klingon with a brown Lizard head, too :wink:.

Action Martin
Sep 28, '08, 11:28 AM
Spawn & Savage Dragon? Yechh, everything that's gone wrong with comics. As if McFarlane deserved more licensing $$$ for his masturbatory "art." Besides, he already has his own toy company, let him develop his own Megoesque figs. Would they sell--what's the overlap in interest/market?

I mentioned them because they seem to be very popular indy titles or at least were.

On a kinder note, I'm not going to lie--I'd love to see EMCE do King Feature, REB, Fran Striker creations, & REH figures. Even Conde-Nast's Doc Savage & the Shadow: it strikes me as something Mego might have done anyway, & these licenses still have that "retro" feel. And maybe, too, we'll see some of these from Castaway.

Sadly, outside of a few guys like us, no one would be jumping at a Mego/EmCe Doc Savage and Shadow.

Heck, I'd like to see Doc properly reissue some of the lines CTVT tried--Mad Monsters, with a Sea Creature added; Knights & Merry Men--beautiful lines that deserved more respect. Wishful thinking, probably.

I think that I would like to see them too. Robin Hood and King Arthur would qualify as "World's Greatest Super-Heroes". Even some of the Western characters could fit in. A hero is more than tights and a cape.

Brown Bear
Sep 28, '08, 12:24 PM
If EMCE ever gets the license will all be doing the dance of joy regardless of what way they're done....I think rather than focusing on whether Batman will be exact or be updated for this generation, we should focus on what figures NEED to be done.

I'd like to see Lex Luthor, Dr Doom, Dr Ock and Flash among others before ANY Batman or Spidey are done.

As far as weighing in on my preference, I say take the same approach as the Star Trek; do exact replica's of the existing figures and add some new characters to the line.

If they're gonna be WGSH then PLEASE keep the "mego" look and don't update them too much. I like the cheesy 70's look because that's the Mego I love.

JediJaida
Sep 28, '08, 1:07 PM
Please, with better hairstyles for the females.

Dinah-mite's hair was okay, as it was straight, but that flip hairdo that BG, SG, and WW had were just, I dunno, ICK!

If you wanna make a female action figure with curly or wavy hair, don't cheat and give her a flip. That doesn't count as curly hair.

The Bat
Sep 28, '08, 4:09 PM
I'll have a Lord Hydro custom by the time I get the Commander X figure.

Wow...that's really cool! You're making a Custom of one of Jay's Characters!:yes: Just don't go selling it on eBay, or We'll find You.:grin::smiley1:

thunderbolt
Sep 28, '08, 5:09 PM
There is a Project Superpowers line in the works, perhaps it is Mego style?

Mr Mego
Sep 28, '08, 10:22 PM

He just need take his time, be Patience. :wink:

The next EMCE Retro Megos will be done on by that date:

Chekov & Cheron - available on 10/15/08

Uhura & Mugato - available on 11/5/08

Sulu & Gorn - available on 1/28/09

P.O.T.A EMCE Retro Megos line:

Dr.Zaius & Zira - available on 11/26/08

Cornelius & Soldier available on 10/29/08

The next P.O.T.A line - not known yet but check out on Diamond Select Toys & Collectibles Website will let you know when they're available.

Paul need to be finish 6 more complete EMCE Retro Megos Star Trek and P.O.T.A line then I think will be next to WGSH EMCE Retro Megos line, not custom style yet but I think after this then will be different new EMCE Retro 8" WGSH action figures line.

drakghoulie
Sep 29, '08, 3:20 AM
I under stand why people want updated versions yet, did we all not buy kirk and spock and the rest why? because they were supposed be like mego's. EMCE yes, but mego's nonetheless. If you change it it does become something else. As for the original Gorn I'd say we were all pretty unhappy with him. chekov and sulu very mego like. I don't want a re-vamp. I want the x-men the way mego would have done them and all the rest even batman the way the original was yet, with the emce improvements and slight enhancements. If it was something like the gorn, yea, ok change it, but you change batman and superman from the original too much. I'm afraid I'm not going to get them. I would say it's about 50% who want it different, 50% don't. I know many don't want a duplicate figure, but then the line becomes a different toy. Not the one I wanted when I was a kid which is why I'm buying these. I don't buy new toys, other than Action man from Cotswold and Emce toys. I know many of us have a terrific collection of originals while there are just as many who love those toys who don't. For them and for someone like me the repro's are cool. I think Doc mego knows what he's doing and like he say's wait till he gets a license.
He can always re-do it all in a different form once the line is more established. A second re-vamped line (a sister line if you will to the repro's) if there is enough interest and the current line remains successful. Those over muscular bodies have always irritated me and kept me away from the new toys. Now for famous covers, even if they had been 8" (they were updated) they still would have been the same bad product. They weren't mego's or as cool as those old out dated toys (which were still, like the original Gi joe) two of the favorite all time toys loaded with play value, we are thinking that way right? I think despite the way they were, they'd still be cool to a kid. Maybe not to sophisticated collectors, but to a kid yes. I think Emce's repro's are prettttty coooool!

The Bat
Sep 29, '08, 5:38 AM
I under stand why people want updated versions yet, did we all not buy kirk and spock and the rest why?

Ah...but Kirk & Spock aren't good examples...because they were EXCELLENT Sculpts to begin with...some of Mego's BEST, They really captured Their likeness's & Personalities. So...You really can't compare Them to say Captain America or Batman, which You know...SUCKED!:please_y: Mego did a great Job with real People...but Their SuperHeroes were hit or miss. Sometimes they were great(Green Goblin, Mr.Fantastic)...or they were bad(Cap, Batman...brown Gorn Lizard:ugh_y:).
It's obvious Doc agrees with this to some extent...which is why We have an ALL NEW Sculpt on the Gorn coming....and not a brown Lizard/Klingon.:no:

Gorn Captain
Sep 29, '08, 7:45 AM
It's obvious Doc agrees with this to some extent...which is why We have an ALL NEW Sculpt on the Gorn coming....and not a brown Lizard/Klingon.:no:

Hey, don't knock Brown Klingon Gorn!
He was my best friend during childhood.

Mmm, my only friend actually.
God, this is depressing.....:grin:

PS: anyone who no longer wants old Gorn, can send him to me.
I run a sanctuary for unwanted and neglected Gorns.
He'll be well taken care of....

PNGwynne
Sep 29, '08, 3:53 PM
Y'know, I liked the original Gorn: the problem was not that the figure was "crappy'", but that it was so obviously a Klingon uniform.

Ignore the gold pips, and see the brown knit as skin and the vinyl tunic as the singlet. Not that far from the show, certainly not as much as the Talos, Cheron, or esp. Mugatu.

And try dressing a Gorn in a Ursus suit--pretty nice!

Regarding WGSH sculpts: No, molded Batman and Cap A aren't perfect, but they aren't truly terrible---not any more so than other somewhat bland early sculpts. Could Batman be more like Neal Adam's art? Maybe, but, Superman could also look more like Curt Swan's, and few collector's critique it. I'm a big Aquaman fan, and look how he fared! lol. They all have their charm, as is.
Cap's biggest problem is the deco, not the sculpt--many upgraded custom Caps here on the forum illustrate that.

I'll take classic Mego sculpts any day over yelling/constipated FC faces.

Some of the later 12" Mego sculpts were really nice: magnetic Batman, Cap, Hulk. Maybe "shrinks" of these could be included with repros as alternate heads, or varients. Still retro, still Mego.

Action Martin
Sep 29, '08, 5:05 PM
I always liked the Batman and Captain America head sculpts. Although Cap's eyes were a little odd to me.

The Bat
Sep 29, '08, 5:24 PM
The RC Batman was always My favorite WGSH...1st Mego I ever bought(with Robin at the same time).:yes::heart:

drakghoulie
Sep 29, '08, 7:45 PM
the robin head sculpt is pretty good, but not 60's or 70's bat man was more of a different colored tame 60's cowl. one done in the style of keeping with the robin would be ok, I think the removeable cowl would be a cool way to go, it was always my favorite between the two, more versatile. Superman was supposed to, I guess,
be a re-use of the don head. but superman in the mid- 70's was sporting the longer hair look. so I guess If you want to re-do them you should at least (like the gorn) keep it re-lated to the original material and times. "The 70's" even though the real gorn was a 60's character. Remember the slurpee cups from back then, now they were cool. the way the ff looked in FF 186. or the avengers in 161. All 70's and all cool. Now if they looked like that I'd say ok, that's mego era, cause that's what was out then in the comics. But I still like the originals.

dumbldor
Sep 29, '08, 8:58 PM
I would like well-marked but otherwise exact replicas so my son has some WGSH 'Megos' to play with.

Meule
Sep 30, '08, 1:09 AM
I would like well-marked but otherwise exact replicas so my son has some WGSH 'Megos' to play with.

Are you saying you'd actually buy repros? Wow, didn't expect that from you :shocked2:

The Bat
Sep 30, '08, 6:35 AM

Yeah....aren't You the "Anti-Repro" Guy Dan!??:no:

megocrazy
Sep 30, '08, 9:39 PM

Dan Baby!! I knew you would eventually come over to the dark side. I fell outta my chair though when I read this. I was in a La-Z-Boy recliner and went poof right on the floor. not an easy task. :smiley1: I agree the WGSH even the common ones would be nice for kids today. Maybe a new head sculpt, like a more modern hair style for Supes or maybe a George Reeves head. Long eared Bats. maybe a darker blue, or a black front like the Superfriends Batman with the blue shorts vs. the black ones. Aquaman with a beard or long hair, etc.

Corellian Corvette
Oct 23, '08, 1:37 AM
The challenge for someone like Paul to do a new WGSH line is that in everyone's mind, they would want something different.

If he did exact repros, people's reactions would be binary: they like it, or don't like it.

If he changes things - you get into SO much subjectivity about what people want and would like. How do you still keep it "mego-esque" and modernize at the same time? What do you keep original or update? Which version of the character?

It's such a delicate balance and I think he really nailed it with Sulu and Chekov, and Gorn. But really, there wasn't much to screw up - he had a great scuplter and you couldn't really make the Gorn any worse, could you? - yet still there is fair amount of controversy over the body type! :)

I would love to see a Superman like the one pictured, done China made. But that fits into my likes - I wouldn't want the Spiderman or the Batman done that way. Others may want something different. I think it would be much safer to just do exact repros for poor Paul!

NewForce
Oct 23, '08, 6:58 AM
just do what I do and buy him originals, then he can play with them now :smile:

Nostalgiabuff
Oct 23, '08, 7:58 AM
I used a mixture of repro parts and original parts where needed to make my son a bunch of WGSH. Also made him a bunch of customs, ie Flash, GL, Bizzaro

SoulSinger
Oct 23, '08, 9:41 AM
Well, there are no "exact" replicas anyway. I've never seen a replica T1 body, for example. Doc's bodies are doc's bodies. The stamp on the neck also gives a clue. They look similar, but not exact.

Bob

The Bat
Oct 24, '08, 5:52 AM
Well, there are no "exact" replicas anyway. I've never seen a replica T1 body, for example. Doc's bodies are doc's bodies. The stamp on the neck also gives a clue. They look similar, but not exact.

Bob

I think You're taking My "exact" statement a little to literally.:please_y: Of course they wouldn't be exact...but My main interest is, would there be NEW Head Sculpts...or Reproduction of the Originals?

SoulSinger
Oct 24, '08, 9:45 AM
I think You're taking My "exact" statement a little to literally.:please_y: Of course they wouldn't be exact...but My main interest is, would there be NEW Head Sculpts...or Reproduction of the Originals?

Yeah, I figured Bats. It's just that I run into so many people worried that their originals will be devalued somehow. A guy at a flea market wanted $300 for a RM robin head with paint rubs, for example. He flipped when I told him there was a repro head I could get. Have EMCE Romulans really devalued the originals nowadays? Just curious. Anyway, I hope most are repros of the originals.

Bob

nordox
Oct 24, '08, 2:00 PM
To me the shifting in design is much more than just the Megos. The same way the modern Batman movies try and avoid things like Robin. Also, many of modern comics books only bare a glancing connection to the comic industry as it was when Mego first got the rights to produce these characters.

I for one enjoy balance Mego had between being the solution for super hero toys, but not insultingly for kids like the modern "Superfriends" toy line, but yes if you look into those toys there is a bit of mego in them.

That being said, I really believe that the Mini-mates have carved the way for the kind of direction modern mego could go...

madmarva
Oct 24, '08, 4:24 PM
While I love the original megos — Iron Man and Green Arrow were my favorites — I would like to see updated head molds, gauntlets with painted hands for gloves instead of of the cooking mittens and any other update that could be made.

But if the figures were exact repros or new characters made in the old style, I'd buy em.

As long as DCD is going its 13 inch line, it might seem impossible for Doc to get the license, but Mattel's DC Universe figures would seem to be in competition with DCD's 6 inch figures.

GlobalObserver
Oct 26, '08, 4:36 PM

Ditto.

Mego Milk
Oct 26, '08, 6:11 PM
make em exact AAAAANNNNNDDD include new characters!

The Bat
Oct 26, '08, 7:27 PM
As someone else said earlier in this Thread....2 Packs!! Original Sculpt...and NEW Sculpt!!:wink::yes:

vulcan2074
Oct 26, '08, 7:34 PM
I Would Love to See all the ones that MEGO Never made. A Legion of Doom Set would be so cool.
Sammy

MIB41
Oct 26, '08, 9:15 PM
Wow. I think this is the first time I have ever started reading a thread which was already six or seven pages deep and read every page with utter delight and intrigue. Here's my two cents - I think regardless of personal preference, you have to look at what has already worked versus the many lines that haven't. Famous Covers, ClassicTVToys, and Hasbro's attempts with the Golden Age of DC and Marvel's Signature Series have all had their moments (some more than others). But ultimately they either drifted too far from the Mego flavor or had the spirit, but not the execution, so quality became an issue.

When EMCE started recreating the Star Trek line it was refreshing to see them go back to the original molds while also duplicating the same level of QUALITY Mego gave to their original line. Very little was tampered with in terms of presentation or overall appearance. The pricing has been right and from all indications each release has been very successful. No, these lines are not going out on Target shelves for mass consumption but then again maybe that's why they work. Because at the end of the day their meant for this audience right here - We the collectors and anyone else who wants to take the ride down memory lane with us. Sure many of us have a big collection of these figures, but I can't see anyone saying "no" to a freshly made "Mego" that gives the collector that 'shelf experience' all over again for pennies on the dollar to an original.

Hasbro did this with the Joe collectors so I say let EMCE continue their successful exploration of the Mego universe in the same manner. It has been an absolute blast buying these figures all over again (even if I already had the originals mint in package). It makes no difference for me. Getting it absolutely new in the same fashion as I got it as a kid is a priceless experience and I hope EMCE continues that current philosophy. If EMCE continues to string together line after line of succesful Mego characters, I can see them throwing in variants or new characters to keep the line fresh (just as they have already done with Start Trek). Clearly they understand this market well and are delivering the goods. I am absolutely commited to buying all of them so I'm on the hook. Keep up the great work guys!!!!:yes:

drakghoulie
Oct 27, '08, 1:56 AM
[QUOTE=MIB41;219978] Sure many of us have a big collection of these figures, but I can't see anyone saying "no" to a freshly made "Mego" that gives the collector that 'shelf experience' all over again for pennies on the dollar to an original.

Hasbro did this with the Joe collectors so I say let EMCE continue their successful exploration of the Mego universe in the same manner. It has been an absolute blast buying these figures all over again (even if I already had the originals mint in package). It makes no difference for me. Getting it absolutely new in the same fashion as I got it as a kid is a priceless experience and I hope EMCE continues that current philosophy.

I absolutely agree!

jemboy2004
Oct 27, '08, 9:00 AM
I love the idea of updated WGSH and maybe even correct some of the things we didn't like about the originals.

Action Martin
Oct 27, '08, 5:01 PM
Like plastic heat-sealed emblems?

Brown Bear
Oct 28, '08, 8:42 PM
make em exact AAAAANNNNNDDD include new characters!

Couldn't have said it better myself....

ddgaff1132
Oct 29, '08, 12:56 AM
I'd say go original Mego style. The whole thing about Doc's work (Bless his Megomakin' heart.) Is it gives everyone the chance to hold thier favorite toy in thier hands once again exactly the way it looked that first time you ripped it from the box. Not an aged and worn reminder of long ago. And lets face it. Kids will recognize who they are. They mite even be drawn more to them because of thier uniqueness.

The Bat
Oct 29, '08, 5:55 AM
And lets face it. Kids will recognize who they are. They mite even be drawn more to them because of thier uniqueness.

I have to respectfully disgree! Maybe small Children might appreciate the Molded Cowl Mego Batman...but older Kids are a little more discerning nowadays. But I do think there's a happy medium between the two...like a Neal Adams, or Jim Aparo style Sculpt. Which...would still keep with 70's feel of Mego. For example...take a look at the Artwork Mego used on the Packaging.:wink_y:

SoulSinger
Oct 29, '08, 9:05 AM
I have to respectfully disgree! Maybe small Children might appreciate the Molded Cowl Mego Batman...but older Kids are a little more discerning nowadays. But I do think there's a happy medium between the two...like a Neal Adams, or Jim Aparo style Sculpt. Which...would still keep with 70's feel of Mego. For example...take a look at the Artwork Mego used on the Packaging.:wink_y:

My kids, neices, and nephews love megos the way they are. RC Batman was an instant hit! So was Supes and Spidey! Santa is bringing the kids in my family classic restored megos, emce's and castaways this year too!

Bob

The Bat
Oct 29, '08, 4:09 PM
My kids, neices, and nephews love megos the way they are. RC Batman was an instant hit! So was Supes and Spidey! Santa is bringing the kids in my family classic restored megos, emce's and castaways this year too!

Bob

Well....the 3 You named are some of Mego's BEST!!:wink::yes:

drakghoulie
Oct 29, '08, 4:31 PM
We who follow the hobby, tend to think kids are smater and more sophisticated than we were. Well as high tech goes that's true, but mego's are low tech and different enough from the small hard plastic molded figures to appeal to the kids. I think it's the adults who want different from what was (because either they already have it or it is they who have become to sophisticated for the old mego style) now with that said we also want to say it is only us in the hobby who will buy it. Not completely true, although we buy it more than others in general, many people bought mego's who aren't in the hobby any more and don't spend a lot of time at toys 'r' us, but when their there with their kids or buying birthday or christmas presents would say, "oh, wow! cool, I remember these figures" (or dolls or guy's whatever they'd call them). "I had this one or that one" and they'd buy them for the kids.
Recently I saw that happen at a comic store when this guy was there with his two kids and saw the trek figures, started singing the praises to his kids and wound up spending 60+ bucks, two for each kid. It made me me feel good and I wasn't buying. I had bought them already. I mean mego didn't really look like the comics or the super friends "really", there was no iron man, thor, or fantastic four cartoon on. well, at least until the late 70's with the FF and we bought it (well our parents did) and kids who didn't even know beyond the dc characters and spiderman bought it too. oh, and the soldier ape, not exactly exact, but we bought that too and we knew it didn't look quite right, but we were happy to get it. So kids will surprise you, mego is different enough to the kids of today that they like the playability, poseability
and jeez, you can switch the costumes, you might not do it now, but I bet most of us did and kids today would too. Making up your own figure was a cool thing. Earth 2 robin was my early experiment. Yea, I lost parts, but that just meant I had to buy another one.

The Bat
Oct 29, '08, 5:06 PM
You mentioned the Father was buying Star Trek Figures....well You can't compare Molded Cowl Batman...to Star Trek. The Star Trek Figures IMO are some of Mego's very best Sculpts! Kirk...Man they not only captured His likeness...but His personality as well. I just love that cocky, self assured expression on His Face...that's the Jim Kirk I remember!!:yes:

nordox
Oct 29, '08, 5:18 PM
If the megos werent...well...megos...they might as well be DC Direct or that wonderful line of marvel stuff that folks sometime compare to megos. I think there was a wave of them when spidey 3 movie came out even. The goblin was cool.

I look at the new megos in a certain way the way I look at Kubricks now...

goldenryan
Oct 29, '08, 6:01 PM
they should make the characters mego never got a chance to make in megostyle. 4 marvel characters and 4 dc. there's no reason to beat a line to death, the heroes and villians i would pick are
marvel
1.silver surfer
2.daredevil
3.dr.doom
4.rhino

dc
flash
green lantern
lex luthor
darkseid

drakghoulie
Oct 29, '08, 7:28 PM
[QUOTE=The Bat;221008]You mentioned the Father was buying Star Trek Figures....well You can't compare Molded Cowl Batman...to Star Trek.

I know what you mean, but I wasn't comparing the two, trek and WGSH,
I was making an observation about people remembering something cool and wanting to share the experience with their kids. People who are kind of out of the toy loop, but I'd bet if they had been the WGSH, batman,
molded cowl or not they would have left the store too and not just because the dad was excited, the kids would be too. (our kids are generally in the loop and jaded and influenced by seeing it so much and by our comments and impressions)
Yet, think of it this way, had we not seen them in 35 years and not been immersed in it all, yet loved them way back when, We would be excited, (I still would be ) and we'd buy them for the kids and I know from my experience with my kids, (who I have not indoctrinated into the world of MEGO) they recognize the emblem, the name and they know it's Batman. They've been intrigued by the old MEGO's just because the figures are different from what they see everyday. (course I am guilty of watching the super friends with them and letting them read some old 70's comics, but hey, a dad has to do something they can complain about later)

roman
Oct 30, '08, 7:14 PM
There is a Project Superpowers line in the works, perhaps it is Mego style?

Project Super Powers? Can you offer any details? Very curiious.

I have not kept up with this chain very well but now I am curious. Is there an actual chance that some one (Paul) might be trying to produce a new line of DC / Marvel Mego-like figures?

I thought this whole thing was just someone pontificating on the coolness of a new hero collection in the Mego style.

By the way, although I am not a Trek fan I have to offer props to Paul on his addition to that line. Man those look awesome.

dumbldor
Nov 12, '08, 3:39 PM
Are you saying you'd actually buy repros? Wow, didn't expect that from you :shocked2:

I would love for my son to have fun trashing well marked replicas any way he likes. That's a lot different than 'collecting' replicas. Well marked replicas are a win-win IMO.

I already have all of the CTVT legends and the first 6 EMCE Treks put aside for my son when he is old enough to play with them (another year or so).

Rick, originals are too expensive to hand over to my kids. I do not have the disposable income for that. An action figure for play should cost no more than $10-15 IMO.

I welcome new characters as well, done in the Mego spirit of course. I applauded the introduction of Chekov and Sulu, and I would do the same for a WGSH line extension whether it be done by EMCE, Mattel, or whoever.