X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

EMCE's WGSH...exact Replicas?

Now Doc Mego has made it no secret, that He'd like nothing better then to Repro Mego WGSH(I watched Paul's interview at Mego Meet). But the question remains...should they be exact Replica's of Our Childhood Toys? Now some of Us would like that...and others wouldn't because it might de-value the Originals.
    But let's forget Us "Old-Timers" for a minute...and think about the next Generation of 8" Cloth Figure Collectors. Just say..."what if"...Paul could get these Figues into Toys R' Us, and Target, etc... Would Kids buy these sometimes silly looking Figures? I think not! Realisticly...I think NEW Head Sculpts should be made to appeal to a wider Audience...both Kids & Mego Collectors! They could still have a "retro" look of some of the 70's(Neal Adams), or 80's(Batman:Year One)Artists...which I think would appeal to "BOTH" Generations.
    A good example of this would be Troy Youngers work...Troy bridges the Gap! You know...something like this:
    Last edited by The Bat; Sep 27, '08, 2:31 PM.
    sigpic
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

I've always been big on the idea of updated versions of Mego characters from those that make reproductions. I would much rather see a new version of a Mego Batman, than a copy of the one I already have. That's not just because of devaluing originals, it would give me more of a reason to want these items.

Comment

• Action Martin
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 30, 2007

I wouldn't want exact copies of what Mego did but I wouldn't mind characters that were around during the Mego era that we didn't get like Flash, Green Lantern, Dr. Doom, etc.
      Scott

Comment

• kept back
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 2, 2002

To do these Doc would have to get approval from DC and theres no way they would let him make superheroes without making Superman and Batman right upfront. And if that ever happens I would much rather see updated versions than an exact replica of what is already sitting on my shelf. But in all likelihood, we would get replicas of existing figures with th occasional Flash, GL, or Lex Luthor thrown in.
        Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• JediJaida
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 14, 2008

EMCE's WGSH...exact Replicas?

The ones that Mego made have that 1970's kitschy look to them; with the baggy bodysuits, cheesy hairstyles, and, on the part of the females, slightly bland countenances.

I feel that if Doc were to get the license, he should definitely update the images, and make them more kicka** than they were back in the day.

I'm not saying that kitschy is a bad thing. Sometimes it's really cute, and Mego definitely fit that mold.

Of course, the male figures would have to be more buff and articulated than they were before, and the female figures would have to have better outfits, sculpts, hairstyles, accessories, etc.

If Doc should, by some miracle, get the license, the first ones out of the gate would have to be Batman and Superman.

Of course, if he were to do a Secret Identities line to go with it, he'd have to do Clark Kent, and Bruce Wayne as separate sculpts.

That's one thing that I don't remember Mego doing, was Secret Identities.

Now, with access to better materials for uniforms, better kinds of plastic and oodles of talent, I could definitely see him pulling it off.
          JediJaida

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

I kind of thought You Guys would be with Me on "updated" versions I hope Doc chimes in as well...I'd love hear His opinion on this subject.
            sigpic

Comment

• Wise4671
              Banned
              • Aug 11, 2007

I have an 8 year old that loves the way the original Mego's look. If Paul were able to do Heros I think they should be done exactly like the originals or why call them repro's they would be new figures not megos.

Comment

• Wise4671
                Banned
                • Aug 11, 2007

JediJaida Wrote

:That's one thing that I don't remember Mego doing, was Secret Identities."

Mego did Alter Egos Check the museum (Clark Kent,Peter Parker, Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne)
                pages for pics.

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

Personally, I'd rather have updated figures than replicas of the originals. And hey, if DC and Marvel were to give approval I bet they'd rather have modern updated figures too in stead of figures with a 70's feel to them. Besides, what kid would recognize Catwoman in that outfit?
                  "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Wise4671
                    or why call them repro's they would be new figures not megos.

So don't call them Repros. They're not Megos anyway...They're EMCE...Mego has been gone since 1982.
                    sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

(1)Unless EMCE totally rethought the whole concept of their
                      nostalgic lines, they'd be manufactured as replicas...at least first...
                      They are collector's toys...replicas based on an old line and that's that
                      when it comes to the reasons of doing this in the first place.
                      Add to that the other lines are doing just fine...and THEY
                      were produced in that manner...if it ain't broke...

and

(2) Yeah, yeah...techinically they are EMCE and not Megos
                      (although the replicas are meant to look like them)
                      STILL...Megos or not....barring any legal problem,
                      they'd be called "WGSH" as that's the line they'd be mimicking
                      just like "STAR TREK" is "STAR TREK" Megos or not.
                      Last edited by huedell; Sep 27, '08, 5:48 PM.
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Wise4671
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11, 2007

Kind of thought the idea behind EMCE was to bring the "Mego" style figures back not redo the line. Once you start making changes to them they will loose that Mego feel and become something else entirely. I'm seeing talk of bulking up the bodies and make them more modern I think that was done with The Famous Covers and look how those did.

Paul I think what you have done with Star Trek is GREAT and POTA Looks awsome as well hope you keep making your EMCE's the same as you have been.

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

I'm not saying that kitschy is a bad thing. Sometimes it's really cute,
                          and Mego definitely fit that mold.
                          I guess that's a good selling point for people who want to buy "cute toys"
                          for their kids---or themselves or whoever.

I was pretty sure that this line was primarily aimed at collector's
                          though---and that's where the prime value of that "70s look" lies.

To do these Doc would have to get approval from DC and theres no
                          way they would let him make superheroes without making Superman and
                          Batman right upfront.
                          Wish they would have had that attitude with their recent 3 1/2 inch figure line
                          ---I might have bought a Superman or Batman.

If EMCE Trek is any indication of the order of releases---then yeah---
                          they'd get Bats and Supes out pretty fast---but DC might take
                          a different attitude----you never know. It's interesting to guess about
                          though.

Characters like GL, Flash, and Lex Luthor are such a famillar names and
                          costumes (70s)---it'd make fine sense to get those out in the first wave,
                          in my humble opinion.
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Wise4671
                            Kind of thought the idea behind EMCE was to bring the "Mego" style figures back not redo the line. Once you start making changes to them they will loose that Mego feel and become something else entirely. I'm seeing talk of bulking up the bodies and make them more modern I think that was done with The Famous Covers and look how those did.

Paul I think what you have done with Star Trek is GREAT and POTA Looks awsome as well hope you keep making your EMCE's the same as you have been.
                            The changes EMCE has been dioscussing are minor changes---
                            and only AFTER Mgo-like replicas have been made.
                            I think as long as you keep "replicas" as the root of the company/lines
                            that there's a solid consistency there of a "gameplan" or whatever you'd
                            call it.

Famous Covers is bad example to use to compare/contrast because
                            they are in a different scale (not as connected to what Mego actually did
                            as EMCE) and, more importantly, weren't sold in the collectibles market.

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by huedell
                              (1)Unless EMCE totally rethought the whole concept of their
                              nostalgic lines, they'd be manufactured as replicas...at least first...
                              They are collector's toys...replicas based on an old line and that's that
                              when it comes to the reasons of doing this in the first place.
                              Add to that the other lines are doing just fine...and THEY
                              were produced in that manner...if it ain't broke...

Ah...but Doc's not sticking STRICTLY to the replica Business Hue...otherwise He would have slapped a brown Lizard Head on the Klingon...but instead He's giving Us an entirely NEW Sculpt! Not the mention adding Checkov & Sulu! Way to go Paul!!!!!!!!!!

My point was...if these ever did get to the Mass Market(like Toys R' Us)...that old Mego molded Cowl Batman Head would never fly!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎