Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FF 2 was a hundred times better than Spidey 3 (I know, not another FF thread!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

FF 2 was a hundred times better than Spidey 3 (I know, not another FF thread!)

Ok, I FINALLY saw FF2: Rise of the Silver Surfer today (Tuesday).

Going into the movie, I've read all the posts here, especially from my buddy Kingdome Warrior (who hated it), so I had made up my mind that I was going to definitely hate it as well, well guess what...I LIKED IT A LOT!!!

Ok, yes, it's not faithful to the comic books, but neither was Spidey 3, or even the X-Men for that matter.

I was surprised, but at the end of the movie, the audience applauded.

***MINOR SPOILERS!!!***

First off..YOU DO GET SEE GALACTUS. Look when the cloud/nebula reaches the Solar System, and pay close attention to the shadow projected on Saturn, you can CLEARLY see the silhouette of Galactus' famous helmeted head, this happens again on the climatic scene with the Surfer, you see the helmeted head image again admist the fire.

So yes, Galactus did indeed make a physical appearance just like in the comic books (albeit in silhouette form).

Things I loved about the movie:

Silver Surfer, without a doubt, the most awesome CGI humanoid figure EVER on the silver screen, many thanks to Doug Jones for making it possible. I also loved Laurence Fishburne as the Surfer's voice, he's the new James Earl Jones.

Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm, the Abbot and Costello of the FF, I know a lot of you hate the comedy routine between these two, but I love it, lol. The part where Johnny asks Ben how he and Alyssa make love, Ben tells him is none of his business, and Johnny tells him he's just concerned that Alyssa might turn up dead due to a rock landslide, lol, I almost choked on my popcorn laughing so hard.

Things not so great about the movie:

Reed Richards and Sue Storm, I don't get a sense of any chemistry between those two, and frankly, they both annoyed/bored me to death. Reed is always distracted about something, and Sue is always nagging about everything, enough already.

Sadly again, Doom, in yet another wasted peformance, boy, the studios are giving that character NO respect whatsoever, what a crying shame, in the comic books, there's no better villain than Doom in the Marvel universe.

Another thing that bothered me, the Fantastic 4 Car. Reed built that thing without anyone knowing??? Are Sue, Johnny, and Ben, as blind as Alyssa?

Also, I didn't bother to get mad with the climatic final confrontation between Silver Surfer and his master, I just let that one go, lol.

The special-effects were great, the story was good, it moved at a great pace, much superior to the original FF movie, and I can't wait for a stand alone Silver Surfer movie, but I hope it's much more serious in tone.

Anyway, IMO, it was waaaaay better than Spidey 3 which was a HUGE disappointment to me, heck, even Reed Richards' dance routine was better than Peter Parker's, lol.

4 **** outta 5 *****

Last edited by Hector; Jun 20, '07, 1:31 AM.
    sigpic
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

Glad you enjoyed it!
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

LOL! I had a funny feeling you would lol! Sorry Guys I'm picky as heck I went to see it again with my son and yes Hector I saw the image on Saturn and Yes I did see the Helmet in the Fire.....I still wasn't crazy about it but that's me and I was like BS when that guy was torturing him no way that ever happens but this movie will make enough for a follow up and with doom falling into the water maybe Namor will be introduced in the Next one......also if anyone doesn't know Captain America made an Unofficial appearance in a Human Torch story in strange tales book back in the sixties I keep hoping for a scene with Johnny reading something about him and asking whatever happened to him.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
          Stays Crunchy in Milk
          • Aug 2, 2004

SPOILER

I'll say it was better than the first one. It was watchable. Still it was a little too goofy. For anyone that hated Spidey 3's dance scene, this one was worse by a mile. The drama within the team is awkward at best, and I did not like the idea that the surfer had the ability within himself to kill Galactus. If that's the case and he had a conscience, he'd have killed the big guy earlier on. I'd have prefered that Reed had discovered a way for the Surfer to kill Galactus and wouldn't have taken long to explain it.

My son liked it quite a bit, and I suppose I would have liked it better if I was 7.
          Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Yup the whole thing about him Killing Galactus at the end made was BS.Wouldn't he had done that as soon as Galactus made him his Herald if he loved his Wife so much and knew he could off Galactus you would think he would do that first I know I would lol!.....Then of course you gotta leave room for his movie.

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006

See Hec i told you it was good ,Glad you liked it especially since you're such a Surfer fan.Tell me he wasn't bad ***!!
              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by toys2cool
                See Hec i told you it was good ,Glad you liked it especially since you're such a Surfer fan.Tell me he wasn't bad ***!!
                I thinked he looked good although the Cgi work was a bit stiff when he spoke...also since when does his powers leave him when he steps off the board? He would have Been Badass to me had he ripped out of the straps and ripped that guys head off who was torturing him..LOL! Seriously how many lines did he have in the movie seven?

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by toys2cool
                  I couldn't be happier about how the Surfer turned out, although I have to agree with the other fellas here, no way can the Surfer take on Galactus like that, the big G can at any time, zap the Surfer's powers just like that, after all, Galactus is the one who gave him powers in the first place.

But yes, I really enjoyed the movie.

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                  since when does his powers leave him when he steps off the board? He would have Been Badass to me had he ripped out of the straps and ripped that guys head off who was torturing him.
                  I definitely agree with you on both counts, Surfer losing his powers after being off the board was total crap, The Surfer has had his board DESTROYED in the past and has the ability to create another one, he's that baddass, and yes, getting tortured by a puny human...LOL...yeah right.

Originally posted by Comic Book Geek
                  For anyone that hated Spidey 3's dance scene, this one was worse by a mile.
                  No one beats Peter Parker's idiotic dance moves, not even Reed Richard's. With Reed, I was laughing, with Peter, I was rolling up my eyes...and I'll tell you why. Reed's dance routine was intentionally goofy (drunk), while Peter was trying to be cool but came across as much goofier, big differences.
                  Last edited by Hector; Jun 20, '07, 4:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  sigpic

Comment

• JDeRouen
                    Author of Small Things
                    • Jun 14, 2001

I didn't take it as Galactus being killed, but rather disrupted or rerouted.
                    --
                    Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Good point, Joe.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Cosmicman
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 12, 2005

I saw Galactus also.

Yeah, I had to slow it down in my DVD to see Galactus in that cloud.

Ooops.. I didn't mean to say DVD. um.....yeah.....I mean...um.....theatre.....um...nevermind.

I did see it. Let's just say.
                        More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

This movie was a little better than Spidey 3 but not a hundred times.
                          Mainly better because of pacing - spidey needed and editor who was willing to chop. The 2 films had decent material - 1.5 hours is enough of decent material.

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                          Yup the whole thing about him Killing Galactus at the end made was BS.Wouldn't he had done that as soon as Galactus made him his Herald if he loved his Wife so much and knew he could off Galactus you would think he would do that first I know I would lol!.....Then of course you gotta leave room for his movie.
                          Even though Galactus is void of concern for who he damages. (I won;t say he is evil because he is not set on doing harm to people - he just doesn't see the significance - it would be like calling a person evil who kills ants in their backyard.) Norrin Radd is a man of his word. He made an agreement to serve Galactus and so he does. In the beginnig of his tour as the Herald he wasn't even aware of his home world or sentient life. Glactus kept his bargain not to feed on Zen La but also wiped a clean slate on Radd.

As he became aware he became more discontent with his master and the rebellion at earth was merely the end of his battle to leave the service of Galactus.

Surfer has 2 origins and stories (both similar) - one that appeared in the FF issues and another that was rewritten with out the FF in his own series. The latter gives more detail of his origin, service and struggle. The animated series followed this well.

It is kinda silly that he could destroy Galactus in this movie though since his power is only a fraction of Galactus'.

Oh and there will be no Namor (barring the highly improbably) since he is slated for his own film. And cap could appear as an image in a comic Johny is reading but I'd say that even seeing a cameo from an A lister is unlikely because of lisencing.
                          Last edited by Brue; Jun 22, '07, 2:51 PM.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                            OH JES!!
                            • Jul 21, 2005

Hey very good Points Brue I'm over the FF thing now lol! Shame Namor would have been great especially because of the thing he has with Sue.....and yes I meant Johnny seeing him in a mag. In the comic that I refered to he pulls out and old comic and wonders what ever became of him...I have it maybe I'll scan it..Thought that would be a cool way of getting fans excited about a Cap movie.

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

I do have to say that without all the back ground knowledge - one would be left scratching their head.

I wish they could put namor in as well.

IF they mak a 3rd I pry for no Dr. Doom. The character could work but it would have to be radically different from the current version and people may not buy that.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎