X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

How should I unload my comics?

So I am looking to sell off my comic collection.

Proceeds will cover selling expenses and the remainder will go to hunger relief (probably Children's Hunger Alliance)

Not the most impressive collection by any means but I have about 1750 comics to sell. According to Comics Price Guide (comicspriceguide.com) mine would be worth about $9000 --IF-- they were all near mint. Many of them are but many are lower. None are CGC graded.

What is the best way to unload them. Getting top dollar and clearinng largest quantities.

Some options I have:
    Buckeye Comic Con July 21 ($80 table, 225 guests, 50 dealears) - I think this is rough odds.
    CPG classified ad (currently listed at $3500 http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-classifieds.asp?typ=1)
    Donate directly somewhere (even if not a hunger charity - as long as i can get a reasonable tax deduction and the orgnization will get value out of them) - Suggestion?
    eBay - but I don't think these would sell well as a collection - runs and certain individuals would possibly do ok but that is a lot of work
    Sell to half price books or comic shop - probably get 10 cents on the dollar of value.

any suggestions? recommendations?

here is some of what i have:

~1100 marvel , ~600 DC , ~50 other.

Titles- Wonder Woman vol 2 , Justice League of America , Batman , Superman , Daredevil , X-Factor , Avengers , X-Men , Iron Man, Avengers West Coast, Action Comics, Adv of Superman, Detective Comics, The Flash vol 2, Green Arrow, New Mutants, New Teen Titans, Superman Man of Steel, Alpha Flight, Amazing Spider-man, Captain America, Classic x-men, Excalibur, Fantastic Four, Force Works, Generation X, Shadow of the Bat, Incredible Hulk, Spider-Girl, Spectacular Spider-man, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman vol 1 & 2, Spidey Super Stories, Star Wars, Thor, Uncanny X-Men...

Issues JLoA 20 , 36 , 54 , 60 , 62-64, 105 ,107 Hulk 119-121 , 181 Ace , Thor 164, 177, Amazing Spider-man 189, 200, 36 (911), Spider-Girl 1/2, Spidey Super Stories 1, Green Lantern vol 2 100 ...
    Last edited by Brue; Jun 19, '07, 3:30 PM. Reason: typo
  • Comic Book Geek
    Stays Crunchy in Milk
    • Aug 2, 2004

Selling them quick is not the way to make the most. The only way to sell quick is to mark them way down, and even then you're in competition with others doing the same.

I would take the most valuable and sell those, dumping off the rest for a song.

Another option is to sell to someone willing to do the work tp get top dollar. You wont get top dollar, unless you're willing to do the back breaking work to get there.
    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

I guess I realize quick does not equal large payback. I am not looking for super fast but within the next 6 months and i am looking to get about a third of CPG value.

Comment

• MegoSteve
        Superman's Pal
        • Jun 17, 2005

I hate to say it, but unless you have some rare old stuff, you aren't going to get anywhere near guide, or even a third of guide as a bulk sale.

By your own admission, much of what you have isn't near mint. If you look at the guide these days, lower grades are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than near mint/mint books. Like 10%-25% of near mint price.

I'd suggest you take a look at eBay... look at what similar bulk lots sell for and you'll have a more reasonable picture of what to expect.

Is there anyone on the planet with $3500 who is going to want those books all at once? It is highly, highly doubtful.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

I'll tell you right now,comic book shop will be out of the question. You'll more than likely not get what you are looking for on them. The only way you ever come out ahead is if you do a trade.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎