X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

Dida Drawing Board: POTA Deluxe Playset

Here are the plans for a super insane POTA playset. I've been pondering this for a long while. Finally got some time to do some more artwork this weekend.

It starts as a carrying case playset--the big door will be a scene of the crash landed ship (not pictured here). Then you open it up and assemble it and it has scenes from the whole movie. Cornfield on the back, scarecrows, artifact cave on the back (probably have some kind of scaffold for the cave) and of course the Statue of Liberty. I wanted to push her scale bigger so the raised torch is actually a lamintated piece that attached to the back wall of the dida display.

On the opposite side the top display is the outside village scene I did before but the backside of the torch will be some kind of weird building so in the same shape. There will be an arched bridge--again a laminated peice of art attached to a plastic platform that fits on the Dida walls. Still more laminated cut-outs attach to the sides to give the thing a curvey shape, not so straight as the Dida walls. The two side rooms are a jail and then a Zira office. Still not sure what the inside box will have. I like the art museum scene better than the courtroom, probably a Megoish mix of stuff.

Can I pull this off? The artwork is coming along nicely. I haven't prototyped the laminated parts idea, but I think it will work. The stairs need to be prototyped, no idea if I can pull those off. It also depends on how much all that lamination costs...Then there's the size...Approx 40" wide, 20" high (30 with the torch) and about 20" deep. Let me know how interested you would be in this beast...I'm not sure I should even try to make it unless I know there's demand. I'll make smaller, less ambitious sets using this artwork...

This profile is no longer active.
  • Mego Milk
    Custom Mego Maker
    • Jun 3, 2007

WOW!
    Looks awesome sir!

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

That is totally awesome.
      You should give up your job and design nothing but playsets
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• apes3978
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 19, 2005

I'm sure it's too early to say, but do you know about how much it'd be if you go thru with the set as described in your post?
        Last edited by apes3978; Jul 14, '09, 3:19 PM.

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

Thats Very cool Looking Scott.
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• miguet
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 11, 2007

WOW! It's going to be an amazing display.

Comment

• Action Martin
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 30, 2007

I'd be interested. But it depends on the price, of course.
              Scott

Comment

• almitysufx
                Persistent Member
                • May 27, 2004

BAMM! sound of jaw dropping to the floor. Scott, it's amazing how much you cram into your "playsets" The amount of thought you must have put into this one blows me away. The way you've blended so many parts of the movie into it and still.................... I'm at a loss for words, honestly.
                FREAKIN COOL!!!!!!!

Comment

• DCSTING
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 23, 2004

Looks Amazing!!! Fantastic idea!

Comment

• censy
                    thread killer
                    • Sep 26, 2007

Wow! Scott this is an impressive design. Its a mego-loving, ape fan’s dream come true. I love how the torch of lady liberty extends beyond the set, its the cherry on top of this delicious dida.

I will absolutely be getting one. The only question would be if its in this size or a more modest version. I would need to have an idea of the cost as well as check out how much space I can spare in my office. 40" seems like it might be too big for me.

Thanks for the update.

Chris
                    Last edited by censy; Sep 23, '08, 7:26 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Wow Scott....that's IMPRESSIVE!! I don't collect Paysets...but that top one really makes Me want to! Fantastic design!!
                      sigpic

Comment

• david_b
                        Never had enough toys..
                        • May 9, 2008

More awesomeness...

'Delicious Dida'..? Scott, you should think about changing your brand name.. IT FITS!

Seriously, more Mego greatness awaits us here, folks....! I can seriously see operating tables for those hideous/nefarious simian experiments.

david_b

Originally posted by censy
                        Wow! Scott this is an impressive design. Its a mego-loving, ape fan’s dream come true. I love how the torch of lady liberty extends beyond the set, its the cherry on top of this delicious dida.

I will absolutely be getting one. The only question would be if its in this size or a more modest version. I would need to have an idea of the cost as well as check out how much space I can spare in my office. 40" seems like it might be too big for me.

Thanks for the update.

Chris
                        Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• jessica
                          fortune favors the bold
                          • Nov 5, 2007

Bravo, Scott. I love the artwork! Lots of mental gymnastics went into the design of this. My favorite is the skywalk/bridge. That is totally cool.
                          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                            Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                            • Oct 8, 2007

Very Sharp. It really captures the key scenery really well. Beautiful.
                            "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• Wee67
                              Museum Correspondent
                              • Apr 2, 2002

Another amazing design, Scott! It looks like you could, indeed, pull this off. Given the success you've had with the other sets, I am positive you will work out any last details. Good luck and thanks for adding even more fun to the Mego community!
                              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎