X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Colouring Book Theatre: Big Jim

Sharry brought me this welcome site this week, another wonderful piece of toy tie in merchandising from the era before toy based cartoons.

Big Jim was Mattel's response to parental outrage to war toys in the late sixties (which also made G.I. Joe an adventurer) here was a good natured sportsman who enjoyed things like camping, fishing and Kung Fu.

Big Jim was completely and totally safe and dammit, I loved him! Looking back, I don't really see the appeal but I can't deny that I was a fan.

As an adult, I collect the late series of Big Jim PACK characters, when Jim dumped Big Josh and Jeff in order to be a secret agent, you'll find that colouring book here. I have little nostalgia for "sports Jim" despite that happy 3 year old inside me.

The theme of this book centers around the Jungle Truck toy that had Jim rescue a lost baby rhino. I never had it but like all Big Jim pieces, I would circle them in the Eaton's catalog in hopes of receiving every Big Jim toy ever made at Christmas.

Seeing as this (exciting) panel focuses on Big Josh, let's address him shall we. First, it needs to be said that Josh is just a Big Jim with a beard. Are they brothers? It never gets addressed. Let's also say that the denim "short-shorts" and denim vest combination hasn't kept the mystique that it once did.

Here's talking Big Jim, it's amazing how far technology has come in my life time. Jim got severe back problems so he could say five things. These things are built to last however, I still have mine and he still speaks loud and clear.
    Big Jeff sees something!

The lost baby rhino, I occasionally see this guy at flea markets, it's a nice figure.

Let's just assume that all went well with the Rhino and move on to this gripping scene. Josh and Jeff clean the swamp boat! You have to wonder if the people at Whitman were somewhat amused when including images such as this. That Swampboat was a big disappointment for me, I raced and put it in the pool, only to have it sink to the bottom!

Big Jim and Josh have one of those toy dogs that celebrities love to tote around, Mattel really missed the boat when it came to this merchandising bonanza.

Ahh, more innocent times......

Previous Colouring Book Theatre Entries

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

The cover looks awesome
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

The artwork is a cut above the usual Coloring book work. Pretty nice!

I know the feeling about the swamp boat. Is there anything worse than a toy boat that doesn't float? That's like a toy car that doesn't roll. It's just...wrong.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Raydeen1
        Persistent Member
        • May 23, 2008

That's actually very well done art wise.

I never much cared for Big Jim. I got a Big Josh once. No idea what ever happened to it. I got another When I was 12 in a box of mostly AT Joes. Still have him and he's in decent shape because all I ever did with it was try to cut that damn log he came with.

My cousin got Dr.Steel and the LazerVette one year and Mom got me Zorak. Now him I liked and played with him failry regularly. His head popped off one day and he disappeared soon after. I replaced him a few years back but he is naked. I would love to get the entire PACK but I want the DT Jim, not the regular one.

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Believe it or not, I actually have a Big Jim paper doll book too, along w/ the tent and cookout gear and sports camper. Maybe it's b/c I'm a girl, but I actually like this line better than PACK.

BTW....did anyone notice the omission of Big Jack in the coloring book?
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍