• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I've Wanted One Since I Was a Kid!

TITLE SHOULD READ "I've Wanted One Since I Was a Kid."

Most of what I collect are toys and things I had as a kid. Sometimes I do pick up something just because its chock full of 70's goodness. But every now and then, I get something because I remember REALLY wanting it as a kid, but I just didn't have the money.

One place that I remember really got the salivary glands going was the adds for junk in the comics. Not the X-ray specs or the hovercraft (though they were pretty cool), but the Superhero merch. Stamps, stickers, t-shirts, inflatable pillows... I wanted it all!

Well, on Friday, I picked up this t-shirt-

I realize it just looks old, but I'm still geeking out.

Ever pick something up to fulfill that childhood desire?
    Last edited by Wee67; Jun 18, '07, 10:17 AM.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • JDeRouen
    Author of Small Things
    • Jun 14, 2001

For me, it was the Mego Romulan. I only saw him once as a kid, and at the time I didn't have the money for him. I searched for that Romulan for years, to no avail.

A few years ago, I made up for that. Mine is resealed on the card, but he looks great!

Joe
    --
    Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

yes I never had the Ultimate Warrior costume,the little cheapy ones with the plastic mask,I finally got one on ebay like 2 months ago,I love the memories that come back when you find something like that.Good for you man,that's a bad *** shirt
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

A POTA Treehouse. I never knew about the POTA line as a kid but one day my aunt took me to a Rose's Dept Store and I saw the POTA treehouse. It felt like I stared at that thing for hours although I'm sure it was just minutes. Wanted one ever since then and finally got one a few years ago.
        A big Averngers fan couldn't pass up a shirt like that!

Comment

• The Sentry
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 3, 2007

I have a list, but it's been narrowed down thanks to Megomeet!

Mego;
          Astronaut and a Riddler (got em!)
          Alan Veirdon
          Generals Ursus and Urko
          Hulk mobile

Empire Hulk van and copter(I'm a Hulk freak!)

The Megos they didn't make;
          Bruce Banner and Bizarro (got em' both at Megomeet!)

Six Million Dollar Man;
          Sasquatch
          Command Center

Hugo the puppet.

Transformers;
          Snarl
          Fortress Maximus
          Scorponok

If I get that stuff, I can die a happy happy, man!
          sigpic
          http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
          [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Tim Arnold
            A POTA Treehouse. I never knew about the POTA line as a kid but one day my aunt took me to a Rose's Dept Store and I saw the POTA treehouse. It felt like I stared at that thing for hours although I'm sure it was just minutes. Wanted one ever since then and finally got one a few years ago.
            A big Averngers fan couldn't pass up a shirt like that!
            I knew a fellow fan of the 70's rack toys would understand
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

As a kid, I had the Bionic Woman doll and her Bionic Beauty Salon, but I never got a Fembot (mainly b/c the ep scared me so much, but I still wanted that doll, but mom vetoed that idea!) I do have her now, as well as Steve, Oscar, Maskatron, Bigfoot. I also wanted her car, but never got it (I had to choose between the car and the beauty salon, and guess which one I chose?) I now have the car, Steve's Rocket/Transport Repair Station, and the Mission Control Dome set.

I also never had much in the way of AJ accessories. I had 2 black AJ's w/ 2 extra outfits: Snowmobile and Fire rescue (which I dubbed his astronaut suit). Now I have most of the action related outfits, (I don't care much for the sports ones), as well as 3 copter packs, water rescue Squirter, water scooter (but the hand clips broke off!), and parachute. I still want the cool stuff, like the rescue helicopter, motorcycle and jeep.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• SUPERUNDERDOGGIE
                Museum Chaplain
                • Nov 26, 2002

I feel like all I ever do is buy stuff I wanted as a kid......I was a greedy kid!

Actually though, after MUCH searching I think I finally found my all time favorite movie. Its one I thought was a Bruce Lee flick but then I could never find it again. (I own all of Bruce's movies already so I know its not one of them)

I found myself with the unenviable task of locating an obscure Kung Fu movie that I didn't know the name of....try that one!

As I kid I went to the local video place and rented it dozens of times. This was back when you had to pick Beta Max or VHS. Finally one day I decided I should just buy it so I asked the price. The guy pulled out a thick binder and found it and the price was $79.95.....for a regular VHS tape! Man how times have changed. Needless to say I didn't get it. (The guy laughed at me and told the girl next to him that I would have to use my life savings to get it......rude!)

Anyway, the title is "Revenge of the Dragon" and I think I finally found it. I bought it two days ago for about $1.50 and I'm waiting for it to come. Its not Bruce, but if my memory is right its an awesome flick. Hooray for me!

Nice shirt btw bill.
                "God has put definite limits on the heights of man's wisdom, but no limits to the depths of his stupidity"

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

For me it was the Mego Star Trek Tricorder and Communicators.

A was always taunted by their endless TV commercials, but I never did get them.

I was told, they're too expensive

Comment

• z3zep
                    The Girl Next Door
                    • Sep 30, 2006

I always wanted a Big Wheel -- but I don't see myself getting one now.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by z3zep
                      I always wanted a Big Wheel -- but I don't see myself getting one now.
                      That's another thing I've always wanted. My mom hated them and always thought I'd outgrow them too fast, so I had a bike. They had the adult ones for awhile, but they had extra wheels in back and looked like you were driving a semi. And now they're out of Adult Green machines, and Razor bikes, just when I moved into a house and have somewhere to store them!
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Action Jackson was one I always wanted as a kid, but never got it. Now I got a MIB one!!
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎