X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K
    Fun Will Now Commence
    • Jun 20, 2001

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

I didn't see a thread for this yet, so if mine is a duplicate, I apologize.

I saw the film at an early Friday matinee.

The film has some flaws but overall, it was a fun popcorn flick. 90 minutes of just very comic book-y fun. I thought the special effects were greatly improved from the first F4 movie and Lawrence Fishburne's voice was great for the Silver Surfer. Again, Stan Lee did a cameo--a very obvious one this time!

By the way, I don't know the origin of the Silver Surfer...was the film's version accurate?
    I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."
  • saildog
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by K
    By the way, I don't know the origin of the Silver Surfer...was the film's version accurate?
    As we used to say in the Navy....."Stand by for heavy rolls!".

I agree with you in that it was a fun flick. However, there are some here who do not see it that way, have reason for feeling as they do, and will explain, in no uncertain terms, why they feel ripped off. (Mostly because the film was a great departure from the original storyline, made a huge wuss of the Silver Surfer, and portrayed Galactus as nothing but a big cloud.)

Comment

• johnmiic
      Adrift
      • Sep 6, 2002

Look in the Superhero Forum. †here are numerous threads of discontent there.

If you want to see why everyone is upset about it go to your local Borders Books or Barnes & Noble. In the graphic novels section find Essential Fantastic Four Vol. 3. The original Surfer Story is presented starting in issues 48-50, ( tho not exactly at the beginning of #48 and not all the way to the end of #50). Do this when you have time to read for a half an hour or so.

Numerous characters were deleted, subtle character development moments were dropped and tho it's not all in those isues elemenst from other FF stories were thrown into the film which are not part of the Surfer storyline. To faithful comic book fans it's a travesty.

Comment

• K
        Fun Will Now Commence
        • Jun 20, 2001

^ Ah...thanks. I don't often go into the Superheros forum, so when I didn't see a film review, I started a thread. Sorry.

Thanks for the heads up on the Surfer storyline. It sure sounds like they took a lot of "dramatic license", to say the least.
        I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

The real questions are...

How long does this thread last in General Buzz before being moved?

How many more threads will be started here on this afterwards?

How long before we all begin to post Hero threads in the Superhero forum?

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by johnmiic
            Look in the Superhero Forum. †here are numerous threads of discontent there.

If you want to see why everyone is upset about it go to your local Borders Books or Barnes & Noble. In the graphic novels section find Essential Fantastic Four Vol. 3. The original Surfer Story is presented starting in issues 48-50, ( tho not exactly at the beginning of #48 and not all the way to the end of #50). Do this when you have time to read for a half an hour or so.

Numerous characters were deleted, subtle character development moments were dropped and tho it's not all in those isues elemenst from other FF stories were thrown into the film which are not part of the Surfer storyline. To faithful comic book fans it's a travesty.
            Man you said that beautifully lol!

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Sweet, more FF2 threads!!!
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

Thanks Kingdom Warrior!

This must really be something if everyone had to start a seperate thread because they either liked or hated the film so soon after seeing it.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎