X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • livnxxxl
    Megoholic RocketScientist
    • Oct 23, 2007

making custom heads

I was just wondering this AM about custom heads that are made. I see time and time again that the head for the most part has to be sanded down a bit to fit into the torso. My question is why not just cast the head neck plug to size to begin with and eliminate the need for sanding? Am I missing something here?
    Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.
  • REMOVED
    • Apr 18, 2024

Originally posted by livnxxxl
    I was just wondering this AM about custom heads that are made. I see time and time again that the head for the most part has to be sanded down a bit to fit into the torso. My question is why not just cast the head neck plug to size to begin with and eliminate the need for sanding? Am I missing something here?
    um, all of the bodies people use have different sized holes..............

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

And the bodies are made to accept soft plastic heads, not resin ones, so a bit of work is required to get them to fit.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Yeah, resin heads have no give, so you gotta monkey with 'em to get them into a body. Although you can cast them with a rounded base, or a straight pin, and use an eyebolt to interweave 'em into the elastic holding them together.

Don C.

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

I dunno,.. I don't use Neck Plugs & Plastic Toros's on me Customs.... I save those for my mego figures. & most the time the heads are Squishey.
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Customslab

the head makers have know idea what bodies are going to be used to make a custom it may be org. mego , doc mego , or something different and most of the neck holes very a little so instead of you haveing a lose head on your body its better to give it a little exter meat that can be taken away to you can have a perfect fit on your body thats why its done the way i do it with org. mego molded neck plugs on the bottom of my heads

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

I NEVER have any trouble attaching Resin Heads to "Original" Mego Bodies...and I DON'T sand! I just make the Neck Hole on the Body a little bit bigger(with an Exacto Knife)...than heat the Torso with Hair Dryer(or HOT Water)...and it pops right on, nice and tight!
              sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by The Bat
                I NEVER have any trouble attaching Resin Heads to "Original" Mego Bodies...and I DON'T sand! I just make the Neck Hole on the Body a little bit bigger(with an Exacto Knife)...than heat the Torso with Hair Dryer(or HOT Water)...and it pops right on, nice and tight!
                I use this method as well, except I use a Dremel to enlarge the neck opening.
                For me, carefully enlarging the neck opening seems easier than fussing with the head.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  For me, carefully enlarging the neck opening seems easier than fussing with the head.

Absolutely!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎