X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

New Castaway Body, Gloves and Boots Review

A couple weeks ago David Lee asked me if I'd take a look at a few of the new parts he and Jason had made and give my opinion on then. Figured I'd share my thoughts with the rest of you if your interested in these parts.

First, here's a pic of the parts I recieved today...

Let's start with the body. Now keep in mind I'm looking for flaws here so I beat it up a bit, handled it roughly, forced a resin head on it, etc...

Well, something folks have always wanted is finally here. A Mego body with bigger shoulders and swivel arms. Cool. No more hassling with resin parts or killing LJN figures for their arms! Except for the arms, the body is a reproduction of the Mego body in every way.

The color is dang close, but is a little darker. Just a touch. mego bodies tend to have a bit of an orangy look and these are more out and out tan. But it's about as close as I've seen (outside Doc's Trek body for Khan, which is very close to perfect in Mego color as well).

It's banded together really well. Not too loose, not too tight. I'm very pleased with that, couldn't ask for more.

Material- Like DM's, the torso and pelvis are a harder plastic with no real give and the arms and legs are a more rubbery material. If you want to remove a lower arm, wrist, ankle or knee, just bend, and it will pop right off. Not sure if that's good or bad, I can see arguments for both sides. For a custom, I think it's pretty cool. For playability, I could see my son pulling them off a little too easily. But they would go back on pretty easy. The one down side to it is once stretched, they are not really going to bounce back, which brings up my only real complaint. The lower legs on the one I got tend to want to curve outward at the knee joint because the material is soft. But it is flexible enough to be bent back, so it's not a serious issue.

The knee pins look just like standard Mego pins, so that is cool.

The shoulders are really cool! They are done more like Lion Rock/Titan bodies, so they actually have a superior range of motion. Add to that the swivel arms and you've got something super cool for custom posing! The only odd thing is moving the arms down once they are up. The joint pulls away from the body until a certain point then pops back in.

The regular hands seem a little on the small side, but that makes it easier to fit in those oh so cool fist gloves (more on those in a moment).

I tried just about every pose I could think of and the body duplicates the original Mego in every way. Not counting the cool arm additions, every other joint moves with the same ease and the same way as a real Mego body, which I find to be very cool.

Last body test was putting on a resin head. Same issue here as with the DM body, I split the torso. Now keep in mind I was almost trying to. I put a little more pressure than I normally would to see how easy it would split. Fairly easy, but not unreasonably so. With resin heads, I'd still drill out the neck hole a bit because it's not going to give. Even if it does split, it's an easy repair and the arms didn't sink in because of the redesigned shoulder joint, so say goodbye to those arms that pop outward!

Now I tried to find every flaw I could with this body and address it. Every nitpicky thing I could come up with. That's about it. Really, it's a super cool body and really high quality. Leaps above what CTVT tried to give us. Add the swivel arms and buff shoulders and you have a body tailor made for Superhero customs!

An addition to the body is the ability to swap hands. Besides the regular open hands, Dave sent me a set of fist hands. How many times have we ordered resin fists for customs? This is a sweet addition and you can mix the hands for an open and one fist if you want.

Speaking of fists, how about those gloves? All I can say is WOW. They fit on the new open hands excellently. Took a little more of a push to get them on a standard Mego t2 hand, but it went okay. The upside to that is they don't look clunky at all. They have a nice texture that implies cloth, so they look very natural. I plan on replacing alot of my painted hand/guantlet customs with these. The quality, material and design is excellent. I'm pretty geeked up about these.

The boots- Well they look FAB! Nice and tight on those Hero customs, so if you don't like "clunky" Mego boots, these are your answer. Another piece just screaming for Superhero use. The downside is I don't think it's possible to get them on over a jumper. It took me some serious screwing around to get them over a naked foot. But cutting the feet out of jumpers and tucking them in the boots is a small price to pay to get that nice tight fit. You're going to have to work a bit to get them on, but you're going to love the look!

Well, I think that about covers it. All in all I've very pleased with the body, it's really top shelf, even though I tried to pick it apart. What minor issues there may be are far outshadowed by the cool new features. And I can't say enough about the cool gloves and boots. Truly cool stuff.
  • SUP-Ronin
    Stuck in a laundry shoot.
    • Oct 8, 2007

Well I haven't tested my stuff the way Dave did. However so far I agree with practically all of his comments. I was a little concerned about the knee, but it seems solid and good quality. The weight is the first thing I noticed when I pulled out the body. Much heaver than the other knockoff bodies, except for Doc Megos which are similar in weight, IMO. Happy with the boots and other accessories, I can't wait to see what people start coming up with.
    "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Great review Dave...very thorough. Makes me anxious to stalk out the mailbox even more!
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• livnxxxl
        Megoholic RocketScientist
        • Oct 23, 2007

Thanks Dave for yet another excellent review. I really liked the tests that you did with the items and the knowledge that you have shared here with TMM. I feel a lot better about buying these parts knowing exactly up front what I will be getting before I even get it.
        Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• livnxxxl
          Megoholic RocketScientist
          • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by MegoRonin
          Well I haven't tested my stuff the way Dave did. However so far I agree with practically all of his comments. I was a little concerned about the knee, but it seems solid and good quality. The weight is the first thing I noticed when I pulled out the body. Much heaver than the other knockoff bodies, except for Doc Megos which are similar in weight, IMO. Happy with the boots and other accessories, I can't wait to see what people start coming up with.
          I would imagine that the added weight is due to better quality of thickness making the body and parts less fragile than the predecessors.
          Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
            Persistent Member
            • Oct 3, 2007

Cool. Great to know we now have more customizing options out there.
            Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
            MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Great review Dave...LOVED it!

As for the Boot issue...I've been cutting the Feet of My Jumpsuits for some time now. Like You said...they go on easier...but you can also pull the Crotch up higher for a better fit.
              sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

cool review, anxiously awaiting my first order.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Raydeen1
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 23, 2008

Thanks Dave.
                  I'll be ordering some stuff soon.

I wonder, could you try some talcum powder in the boots? It makes rubber boots much easier to put on 12" GI Joes. Should work for these I would think.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                    Career Member
                    • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by Raydeen1
                    Thanks Dave.
                    I'll be ordering some stuff soon.

I wonder, could you try some talcum powder in the boots? It makes rubber boots much easier to put on 12" GI Joes. Should work for these I would think.
                    Or hit 'em with a hairdryer. A blast for about 15 seconds should make all the difference. It works on the CTVT klingon boots and those are made of some thick/unforgiving material.

I'm looking to placing a larger order after you get you big order of supplies in David.

Thanks for the review Dave.

Bob

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

I never had any doubts about this new stuff and with Dave's seal of approval no one here should still have any doubts
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by ThatBatmanGuy
                        Or hit 'em with a hairdryer. A blast for about 15 seconds should make all the difference. It works on the CTVT klingon boots and those are made of some thick/unforgiving material.

Bob

YUP! I use the same method on the CTVT's Klingon Boots!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Dave Mc
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 20, 2002

Wow, never had any issue with CTVT Klingon boots, all mine fit just fine.

I'm sure some kind of lubricant would help tons. Baby powder, a little olive oil or something would probably make those slip right on.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

About the gloves, which I find very appealling:

I know Castaway suggested painting them, but I loathe to do this because of durability. Can the white ones be dyed with household dye?

Or, will they be available later in other colors? I could use a ton of yellow ones!
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• David Lee
                              The Fix-it-up Chappie
                              • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              About the gloves, which I find very appealling:

I know Castaway suggested painting them, but I loathe to do this because of durability. Can the white ones be dyed with household dye?

Or, will they be available later in other colors? I could use a ton of yellow ones!

The paint I showed works unbelievably well. If you cut it you can see it actually absorbs into the vinyl... it ain't going no where, won't peel, crack or fade (they make a nice Batman/Flash Yellow). But if'n that's not your thing, dye works well. Just remember a little goes a long way, and the longer they bathe the darker they get.

If neither sound good to ya, hang in there we have a bunch painted in the same schemes as our first boots coming from China real soon

-Dave

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎