PDA

View Full Version : Creature from the Black Lagoon Headpiece!

ramsey37
Aug 26, '08, 7:26 AM
Now here's something you don't see every day:
RARE "CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON" original Head! - eBay (item 150287451498 end time Sep-04-08 22:00:00 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=150287451498)
The auction is for an actual piece of the mask used for "Revenge of the Creature". There's been auctions in the past for Creature masks that were much later pieces being passed off as movie props, but this is the real McCoy. Granted, the condition is rather rough, but I bet it'll still go for Big Bucks.
George :feiertag-smiley-003

palitoy
Aug 26, '08, 12:35 PM
That's pretty neat, I bet a lot of creature fans are drooling. I'd buy it but I'd be too tempted to wear it everywhere ;)

Gorn Captain
Aug 26, '08, 3:19 PM
OK, it might be authentic, but it's still a wreck.
Great for archeologists, but what would you do with it?

Shame it was ruined....

toys2cool
Aug 26, '08, 3:23 PM
whoa!! how cool is that!! I'd buy a bust and put them sided by side in a glass case :grin:

Earth 2 Chris
Aug 26, '08, 3:32 PM
Man, I'd hate to be the guys who ruined the original mask.

So, is Ackerman still alive? I heard he had to sell off most of his collection.

Sweet piece to own, even if it is shredded.

Chris

Meule
Aug 26, '08, 3:56 PM
It'd be sweet to own, especially if you could have someone rebuild the rest of the Creature head to complete this original one

kingdom warrior
Aug 26, '08, 4:41 PM
That's pretty neat, I bet a lot of creature fans are drooling. I'd buy it but I'd be too tempted to wear it everywhere ;)LOL! That would be me.....I'd go food shopping with it on....My Kid would be dying of embarrasment next to me :grin:

ramsey37
Aug 26, '08, 9:24 PM
Man, I'd hate to be the guys who ruined the original mask.

So, is Ackerman still alive? I heard he had to sell off most of his collection.

Sweet piece to own, even if it is shredded.

Chris

Yes, Uncle Forry is still alive. He's in his 90's now and has had health issues the last few years, but he's still with us.
George

palitoy
Aug 27, '08, 8:36 AM
At the second to last Chiller I went to, I had a chat with the guy who publishes Famous Monsters and he mentioned going through legal troubles with Ackerman. It sounded nasty and I was sorry to hear that this guy was going through this so late in life.

ramsey37
Aug 27, '08, 9:51 AM
At the second to last Chiller I went to, I had a chat with the guy who publishes Famous Monsters and he mentioned going through legal troubles with Ackerman. It sounded nasty and I was sorry to hear that this guy was going through this so late in life.
I'm guessing that you spoke to the legendary and universally despised Ray Ferry. Ptuui, I spit on his name!

palitoy
Aug 27, '08, 10:34 AM
I'm guessing that you spoke to the legendary and universally despised Ray Ferry. Ptuui, I spit on his name!

That was him, to be honest, he seemed friendly enough. I didn't really know what to think about the (then just beginning) Legal woes he was telling us though. Some of the things he said seemed like they were both being mean to one another.

Forry was supposed to be at the con, my friend was curious to meet him and when he didn't show, we started asking Ferry questions.

I didn't grow up with FM, so I have no real reverence for the Magazine or FJA. I kind of view him as a fan pioneer but am sorry to hear that his autumn years were spent in legal disputes over his passion.

ramsey37
Aug 27, '08, 10:43 AM
I dare say there's plenty of venom on both sides of that battle. If you have a few hours to kill, google Ray Ferry sometime. It's interesting albeit depressing reading.
George

palitoy
Aug 27, '08, 10:49 AM
Heh, I just bought his book about the matter. I'm kind of curious to hear his side and then read FJA's.

MIB41
Aug 28, '08, 2:43 PM
This auction is a joke. First and foremost it's not authentic. All original props from the Creature (and any subsequent sequels) are owned by Bob Burns (whom I know) and he hasn't let go of any of his stuff. This is just some remanufactured crap. I can also tell you that any original piece from that series or any other Universal movie of that era would not be getting hocked on Ebay for $99.00. That's so impossibly cheap it's laughable. :smiley1:

Gorn Captain
Aug 28, '08, 4:33 PM
Yes, Uncle Forry is still alive. He's in his 90's now and has had health issues the last few years, but he's still with us.
George

Did he really have to sell his collection?
Man, he had wonderful pieces.
Famous Monsters was the magazine that fuelled my love for SF and horror...

Gorn Captain
Aug 28, '08, 4:38 PM
This auction is a joke. First and foremost it's not authentic. All original props from the Creature (and any subsequent sequels) are owned by Bob Burns (whom I know) and he hasn't let go of any of his stuff.

From reading vintage Famous Monsters, it's clear that Ackerman owned tons of original stuff. The proof was in the photos.
I have the same admiration for Bob Burns, but I don't think he's the one and only owner of Creature items.
I've read several books on this.

I'm under the impression that there is little love between the two of them, though...

Sad that in the end, even supercollectors find no common ground.

FJA might not be the easiest man to get along with, I don't know, but he did do groundbreaking work for fans and collectors.
Respect!

http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/14649

ramsey37
Aug 28, '08, 9:03 PM
This auction is a joke. First and foremost it's not authentic. All original props from the Creature (and any subsequent sequels) are owned by Bob Burns (whom I know) and he hasn't let go of any of his stuff. This is just some remanufactured crap. I can also tell you that any original piece from that series or any other Universal movie of that era would not be getting hocked on Ebay for $99.00. That's so impossibly cheap it's laughable. :smiley1:
The seller is actor Daniel Roebuck. He's well known in monster collecting circles and his reputation is very good. If he says this is Forry's old mask, then I'm inclined to believe him. Seriously, if you were selling a fake Creature mask, would you offer one in such poor condition? I think it's safe to say that it'll go for more than the opening bid....
George

palitoy
Aug 28, '08, 9:18 PM
I'd second George on this, I don't know the seller personally but we have mutual friends, there is no way this guy would pull a scam, he doesn't need to.

ramsey37
Aug 29, '08, 9:39 AM
http://8mm16mmfilmscollectibles.com/Forry78-9.jpg
This shows the Creature mask in better days, when it was on display in the Ackermansion.
George

Gorn Captain
Aug 29, '08, 2:06 PM
I wonder if uncle Forry still sends out autographs?
An autographed FM would be a treasure....

ramsey37
Sep 2, '08, 11:57 PM
I can also tell you that any original piece from that series or any other Universal movie of that era would not be getting hocked on Ebay for $99.00. That's so impossibly cheap it's laughable. :smiley1:
Well, there's two days to go in the auction. Current bid: $2,950.00. It'll be interesting to see how much higher it goes.
George

palitoy
Sep 3, '08, 9:58 AM
I am going to wager 5k.

palitoy
Sep 4, '08, 7:11 AM
and I'm dead wrong.

ramsey37
Sep 4, '08, 9:02 AM
I'm gonna say 10K.
George

Gorn Captain
Sep 4, '08, 11:19 AM
I love the Creature, but it's still a piece of debris....

ramsey37
Sep 5, '08, 8:30 AM
Oh well, I was way off, but $6,600.13 is still pretty darned respectable. It's a real shame what happened to this mask, but it's still an important part of horror film history.
George