X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aquatroy
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 28, 2002

Cricut - Anyone have one?

I've seen these infomercials for a cutting machine called Cricut. It looks like it has possibilities, but from the infomercial it looks like you can't import your own images to cut. Does anyone have one or have experience with the Cricut?

Thanks
    Troy
    Hey! Check out the pictures.
  • wyatterb
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 2, 2001

My wife has one and she says no. She did suggest the Wishblade.

Comment

• aquatroy
      Permanent Member
      • Apr 28, 2002

Wow! $449 for the Wishblade. It does what I wish the Cricut would do, but there's no way I can justify that kind of expence.

Thanks for the reply wyatterb!

Comment

• mitchedwards
        Mego Preservation Society
        • May 2, 2003

My wife has a cricut as well, you are bound by whats in the additional cartridges. I too had grand mego dreams when she bought it.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• wyatterb
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 2, 2001

Originally posted by aquatroy
          Wow! $449 for the Wishblade. It does what I wish the Cricut would do, but there's no way I can justify that kind of expence.

I'd just wait a while. The Wishblade will go down in price just like the Cricut did.
          Last edited by wyatterb; Aug 25, '08, 4:55 PM.

Comment

• wyatterb
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 2, 2001

Here's another one craft robo that does the same thing, just a different brand and it is supposedly a bit cheaper.

Comment

• aquatroy
              Permanent Member
              • Apr 28, 2002

Holy Moley! The specs for the Craft Robo Pro sound frikin awesome! Wish I had a grand to dump on one. Print and cut at the same time! Boxes would be a snap.

Comment

• Raydeen1
                Persistent Member
                • May 23, 2008

I am getting a new plotter at work that will do print and cut. I'm hoping to sneak some Mego-y goodness in there from time to time.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                  Megoholic RocketScientist
                  • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by aquatroy

I to have kind of wondered about the Cricut machine before for the sole purpose of doing Mego like customs. I looked at the box a few times here and there at local stores and even asked store employees for whom's limited knowledge was pretty much worthless to me as far as making the sale. I kind of figured the Cricut to be limited and not being able to do exactly what I wish for. I am sure glad that I passed on the Cricut. I was also looking at plotters for a while. This product may be the answer I have been waiting for. I have been wanting something like this to "toy around with" for a while now. I just never bothered to research much what was out there. Too many other priorities until now. Thanks for the great link.
                  Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• wyatterb
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 2, 2001

craft robo items on eBay.com

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                      Career Member
                      • May 14, 2007

None of those listed are any good. They are all rip-offs of good vinyl cutting machines used in the sign business. I have been producing vinyl decals for mego customs and batmoblie builders for about 10 years. The problem with those machines is that they are VERY limited to what you can do with them. Also they DON'T hold up very long either.

If you want to get into this type of stuff, IT COSTS MONEY. Period. A good machine that ONLY cuts vinyl will start at about 3 grand. Those machines are loud, slow, and take up some room. (do you have about 4'x4' area beside your computer? this doesn't include an area to store the vinyl rolls) Now if you want a machine to print and cut vinly a good one starts at 10 grand. (These take up about 3'x8' area) They make cheaper ones, but they have the same problems as the cheap vinly cutters too. Also get ready to up-grade your computer. These machines are not just print and cut. A regular 4mb file becomes about 110mb. That takes a good high-end system to handle. Also the time it takes to do the artwork, cut the vinyl, build the vinyl, then try to sell the custom work. Oh and let's not for get insurance. One good direct lighting strike and you are up in smoke. One other thing: you've got to know something about the sign business too. (Where to buy vinly, machine parts, transfer tape, misc from good suppliers that will deliever on time) That's one of the main problems with these cheap machines; everyone and his brother thinks they can do it, just because they can buy a cheap machine. This, like alot of other ideas, quickly becomes a dust collector for many people. An expensive one at that.

I've worked in the sign business for about 15 years now. I got my training with Fast Signs, the #1 sign business in the world. Most other sign business' copy Fast Signs way of sign making. It's always been hard work, but it pays the bills. Not trying to be a know-it-all or a hard@$$, just telling you the truth.

Bob

Comment

• livnxxxl
                        • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by ThatBatmanGuy
                        None of those listed are any good. They are all rip-offs of good vinyl cutting machines used in the sign business. I have been producing vinyl decals for mego customs and batmoblie builders for about 10 years. The problem with those machines is that they are VERY limited to what you can do with them. Also they DON'T hold up very long either.

If you want to get into this type of stuff, IT COSTS MONEY. Period. A good machine that ONLY cuts vinyl will start at about 3 grand. Those machines are loud, slow, and take up some room. (do you have about 4'x4' area beside your computer? this doesn't include an area to store the vinyl rolls) Now if you want a machine to print and cut vinly a good one starts at 10 grand. (These take up about 3'x8' area) They make cheaper ones, but they have the same problems as the cheap vinly cutters too. Also get ready to up-grade your computer. These machines are not just print and cut. A regular 4mb file becomes about 110mb. That takes a good high-end system to handle. Also the time it takes to do the artwork, cut the vinyl, build the vinyl, then try to sell the custom work. Oh and let's not for get insurance. One good direct lighting strike and you are up in smoke. One other thing: you've got to know something about the sign business too. (Where to buy vinly, machine parts, transfer tape, misc from good suppliers that will deliever on time) That's one of the main problems with these cheap machines; everyone and his brother thinks they can do it, just because they can buy a cheap machine. This, like alot of other ideas, quickly becomes a dust collector for many people. An expensive one at that.

I've worked in the sign business for about 15 years now. I got my training with Fast Signs, the #1 sign business in the world. Most other sign business' copy Fast Signs way of sign making. It's always been hard work, but it pays the bills. Not trying to be a know-it-all or a hard@$$, just telling you the truth.

Bob
                        Hi Bob, I want to say thank you for your input on this subject. It sounds as if you have a good deal of knowledge in working in the industry. I myself am a firm believer in that you get what you pay for. I myself am not looking at this for mass production or as a business I am just merely wanting something to play with to make a few designs and or decals every now and then. Nothing near mass production at all. As mentioned before I looked at plotters and decided against them due to the size and alot of other variables that you mentioned earlier. I kind of figured that it would only be a matter of time to when someone would start making a more compact version for personal use. This was another reason why I held off my purchase for so long. That and it really is not that big of a priority for me to print/cut a Mego decal. Now as far as how well these little compact machines will hold up over time is a totally different issue. I will not go on a limb and say that these portable machines is the answer to all of my wishes. Especially seeing as how I have yet to use/test one for myself. However, for a measly $300 to $400 in my case I would be willing to do further research. I am not saying that you have no idea as to what you are talking about as I believe that you do know your stuff when it comes to the sign business. However, I will not be making signs. Therefore, I respectfully ask your opinion to my recent question. Would such a compact machine hold up to suit my personal purpose? Because if the portable machines cannot do atleast that then I will definitely not be buying one at all for another long while.
                        Last edited by livnxxxl; Aug 26, '08, 4:19 PM.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                          Career Member
                          • May 14, 2007

Well it's true, you get what you pay for. One of the small, cheap machines will cut vinly on small projects. I have done some checking on the cric-cut and other small machines like it. They are for the hobbiest and that's about it. Meaning don't expect too much out of them. There is alot of hype with these machines. If you do some checking around you will find more people that don't like them than do. Personally I just couldn't drop $300 - $500 and in 6 months it be a dust collector.

And thanks for not taking what I said the wrong way. I hate to see people get burnt.

Bob

Comment

• livnxxxl
                            • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by ThatBatmanGuy
                            Well it's true, you get what you pay for. One of the small, cheap machines will cut vinly on small projects. I have done some checking on the cric-cut and other small machines like it. They are for the hobbiest and that's about it. Meaning don't expect too much out of them. There is alot of hype with these machines. If you do some checking around you will find more people that don't like them than do. Personally I just couldn't drop $300 - $500 and in 6 months it be a dust collector.

And thanks for not taking what I said the wrong way. I hate to see people get burnt.

Bob
                            Hey Bob, No problem. Thanks for the great info. I really do appreciate your input.

Comment

• aquatroy
                              Permanent Member
                              • Apr 28, 2002

Thanks for the input Bob. It's always good to hear from someone familiar with the process and products. And, please, don't worry about coming off as a hard ***. You didn't. It's always best to speak the truth plainly.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎