Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"REAL HEROES" action figure line!!!chime in here.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

"REAL HEROES" action figure line!!!chime in here.

Hello all,
    I have an outfit and a half from this action figure line. I'm die'n to get more. So I went on Ebay and searched away. The figures out on ebay seem to be 12". I remember seeing the figures in the early 90's and they were Mego scale.

Anyway. what i guess I'm saying is. What am I doing wrong? I search using the words "Real Heroes." Do you think a better term would get me the results I'm looking for? Any help would be great. I'd love to have a set of Mego scale bunker gear.
    DDGaff
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

Yo DD,

What real men do you mean? The Mattel finger puppets from the 80s?

If those are them, try real men mattel.

Here is one:

FOOTBALL LOT 3-D Tin, Mattel Glove Doll & Chicago Bears - eBay (item 7236440304 end time Sep-07-08 17:02:21 PDT)

I do have 2 of those heads on my website and they are indeed in scale to 8" Megos.

Austin
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

I still have the Real men Soccer and Football sets MIB,I loved those as a kid.The boxing one was cool.I might have an extra soccer set
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• ddgaff1132
        Persistent Member
        • Oct 3, 2007

Not Real Men. The line was named "Real Heroes." It featured 8 or 9 inch figures in cloth uniforms. The line was centered arround police, firefighting and medical personnel. I remeber the lines name but I never looked to see the company name that made them. Originally the firsts time I saw them was in a Hills department store back in the early 90's.
        MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• David Lee
          The Fix-it-up Chappie
          • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by ddgaff1132
          Not Real Men. The line was named "Real Heroes." It featured 8 or 9 inch figures in cloth uniforms. The line was centered arround police, firefighting and medical personnel. I remeber the lines name but I never looked to see the company name that made them. Originally the firsts time I saw them was in a Hills department store back in the early 90's.
          Yea yea... you got it right, they were called Real Heroes... they were 9 inchers. I remember a Cop, a FF, a bomb squad guy and an Astronaut. I bet Thunderbolt can tell ya... they are right in his wheel house size wise.

-Dave

Comment

• ddgaff1132
            Persistent Member
            • Oct 3, 2007

"I remember a Cop, a FF, a bomb squad guy and an Astronaut."
            An astrnaut!!! Friggin sweet. I'd love to have that. Now I gotta find these suckers. SWEET!!! Also Dave, Hows them Phantom and other figures coming along. Cant wait to add them to the collection
            Last edited by ddgaff1132; Aug 20, '08, 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling
            MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• David Lee
              The Fix-it-up Chappie
              • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by ddgaff1132
              lso Dave, Hows them Phantom and other figures coming along. Cant wait to add them to the collection
              Delayed, but undaunted

-Dave

Comment

• Captain
                Fighting the good fight!
                • Jun 17, 2001

Real Heroes was released in 12" as well, re-using the old Ideal captain action figure molds. They did produce 9" figures too, but the 1/6 scale "craze" of the late nineties/early 2000's came along, and the line was "permanently resized" to meet retailers requests. (in short, the nine inchers didnt sell well).
                I remember speaking to an ex-Hasbro guy (darned if I can remember his name?) who had teamed up with GI Joe creator (and I believe he was in on Captain Action somehow as well?) Don Levine to start this company. They had big plans....shame they didnt work out.
                "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

The 12 inch and 9 inch onew were two different companies. THe 9 inchers were Playmates and the 12 were from ERTL and were designed by one of the GI Joe creators. I don't use the bodies from the 9 inch line as they are pretty hidious. I do use the heads, hands and accessories.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• brineb
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 26, 2006

I have the Astronaut, he's 9" and I have one outfit somewhere.
                    I also play with other dolls:
                    http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• david_b
                      Never had enough toys..
                      • May 9, 2008

I had a recipe from a Who customizer who created a more articulated Cyberman from a talking Cyberman torso on top a 9" Real Heroes body, making him resemble the Deny's Cyberman figure more. He did a pretty cool job, but he had to use an electric saw to remove the V-shaped upper torso from the original to fit it on the Heroes body.

Heck, I have my talking Cy here at work and I think he's super just the way he is..

david_b
                      Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Captain
                        Fighting the good fight!
                        • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        The 12 inch and 9 inch onew were two different companies. THe 9 inchers were Playmates and the 12 were from ERTL and were designed by one of the GI Joe creators. I don't use the bodies from the 9 inch line as they are pretty hidious. I do use the heads, hands and accessories.

Yep, Real Heroes was licensed out to both of these companies. Don Levine was the GI Joe creator/creator of the concept. The other Hasbro guy was a designer/marketer. He had worked on the GI JOE ARAH line, but was booted off of it when he protested about the goofy direction the line was taking. I cant for the life of me remember his name right now, but I do remember he had a very distinct dislike of Hasbro after that. Don Levine was no fan either, and I believe Real Heroes was a valiant attempt at a new GI Joe. Sadly, their only real success with the line came after 9-11, when the 12" fireman figure appeared and sold reasonably well.
                        I believe they may have attempted a 3 3/4" line as well? I know Chap Mei released a Real Heroes line up briefly in Canada....not sure if their is any connection?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ I didn't even think they were related, on the package there was no copyright other than Re:Play's and Playmate's.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• gman
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 4, 2002

Real Heroes (9") are junk.... send them to me so I can get rid of them for you. Actually I love them, but you have to shrink the boots to make them work.
                            Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

• Captain
                              Fighting the good fight!
                              • Jun 17, 2001

Kirk Bozigian was the name of the other ex-Hasbro guy...Took me a while, but the ol' memory finally woke up.

Both Real Heroes lines were from the same guys...not sure whats up with the copyright thing? Did a little snooping and found out Don Levine kept up with this idea, and currently produces a line of action figures called "Allmighty Heros". From what I could find, they are a line of religous action figures done in the same kind of style as the current Super Friends toys.

As for the 9" figures, they never did make it to Canada. I always assumed they were reworked Trek bodies....sounds like they were all new designs. Anybody have any pictures of the body they could post?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎