X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kept back
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 2, 2002

Armor. How wouldja...?

With Iron Man and now The Dark Knight, I'm feeling a bigger and bigger need to create armor style suits. I'm curious how some of you would go about this. Ready? Set? Now.....GO!
    Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.
  • drmego
    EMCE Toys
    • Jun 15, 2001

Buy some cheap plastic plates and cups - cut them into flat pieces - soften them up in hot water, then immediately shape them against a mego body or a block of wood
    shaped like the armor you want.

It's the poor man's vacu-forming.
    www.drmego.com
    www.megoman.com
    www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Raydeen1
      Persistent Member
      • May 23, 2008

There's an excellent tutorial online somewhere. I'll try to find you the link.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by drmego
        Buy some cheap plastic plates and cups - cut them into flat pieces - soften them up in hot water, then immediately shape them against a mego body or a block of wood
        shaped like the armor you want.

It's the poor man's vacu-forming.

Wow....that's really COOL! I've never heard of that!
        sigpic

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
          Stuck in a laundry shoot.
          • Oct 8, 2007

More armor ideas.

I have been playing with various armor ideas, and picked up some CTVT knights to kitbash. Perhaps you could blend the moldable plastic ideas with some existing armor and get what you're after.

Problems - limited mobility, and the armor isn't really any different from lancelot, just painted a different color. Still a good place to start.

I have also shown this one recently but is more modified than my Gold Knight.
          It is my Medieval Boba Fett.

Maybe these will help give you some ideas.
          "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• kept back
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 2, 2002

A wine jug for Tony Stark's crest? Man that is seriously funny. I dig that medieval Fett more and more every time I see him, too.

Getting some ideas I never would have thought of, though. Please keep 'em coming.
            Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• Timothy2251
              Jerks beef with Ten Bears
              • Mar 15, 2008

How about using craft foam? I'm thinking of using some thin sheets of red craft foam for a possible Iron Man custom down the line, glued to a yellow bodysuit.

ETA: This custom gave me the idea. Check out those boots! All craft foam!
              "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                • Oct 8, 2007

Yeah the wine jug was totally intentional. Even though it isn't really supposed to be iron man, just a modified knight varient.
                "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Vacumn-forming is probably the BEST way to do it. Tragicly, I don't have a fomer, and lack the neccessary skills. (A friend of mine from years back used to vaccumn-form Warhammer 40K vehicles. He'd swipe the ads from the inside of the city bus for plastic!)

Craft foam works well. I strated using it after seeing Boss' KISS customs. It works good for heavy kevlar, and well worn armours; since it has a matt look to it.

I've thought about using slush molds, but haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet.

Don C.

Comment

• megocrazy
                    Museum Trouble Maker
                    • Feb 18, 2007

Rob (Spyweb007) uses craft foam for all sorts of stuff and gets great results. He did Vader and the stormtrooper armor as well as the TMNT figures I posted a few months ago using foam for the shells and they all looked great. You could also use a sculpey rolled thin and molded around a frame to make armor. It would be delicate but fairly inexpensive. Once you complete it it could be cast in resin which would solve that issue.
                    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                      • Oct 8, 2007

I am curious, craft foam is easier to work with and quicker, but does it hold up well? Seems like after a short time it would fade and/or lose its strength. As in, it would be great for a mock up or prototype but not really for a long term design, or if it was played with much. How does it look after a couple years??

It would be pretty cool if someone would cast some basic armor options that could be modified as needed for various characters like Storm troopers, knights, vader, or Batman. Basics like knee, shin, forarm, chest, back and shoulders. I am not necessarily talking about a different suit for each guy, but some generic pieces that could be sanded or modified into various characters. Has this been done already? If so, by who?

If you look at the right shoulder of the gold knight pictured above, I drilled small holes in order to lace on the armor so it wouldn't have to be glued in place. The same could be done for other pieces as well. Obviously more pieces means more work, but also greater variation in the design options, greater interchangability, and also better mobility for posing. Then you could sell a full set or various pieces as needed. We have enough talented people here that if one person designed something that could be cast, then perhaps someone else could do the casting if need be.?. Just some thoughts.

Comment

• gman
                        Persistent Member
                        • Sep 4, 2002

I have been goofing around with this technique.....

RandKL Projects
                        Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                          Megoholic RocketScientist
                          • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by MegoRonin
                          I have been playing with various armor ideas, and picked up some CTVT knights to kitbash. Perhaps you could blend the moldable plastic ideas with some existing armor and get what you're after.

Problems - limited mobility, and the armor isn't really any different from lancelot, just painted a different color. Still a good place to start.

I have also shown this one recently but is more modified than my Gold Knight.
                          It is my Medieval Boba Fett.

Maybe these will help give you some ideas.

Both look neat. Believe it or not as I was viewing your pictures the song "Bad To The Bone" was playing on the radio in the background. Is that dejavu or what?
                          Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                            Megoholic RocketScientist
                            • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by megocrazy
                            You could also use a sculpey rolled thin and molded around a frame to make armor. It would be delicate but fairly inexpensive. Once you complete it it could be cast in resin which would solve that issue.
                            I have did this with Sculpey without even using a frame. The frame is a good idea as it may help make the Sculpey more stronger and less fragile.

Ironically here is a pix of one I am recently working on. I personally use Scupley lite for some pieces just to cut down on the over all weight as opposed to the heavier Scupley clays. Please keep in mind that this one is still in what I like to call the "rough" stage and is not complete as of yet.

The one thing that one has to be careful of when working with Sculpey is not to leave fingerprints (unless of course you want to for whatever reasons) as it picks up fine detail with ease. If you decide to use the Scupley method you may want to purchase some non finger printed type of gloves. I use latex gloves although some folks may be alergic to latex so use common sense and proceed with caution.

I also took the above picture without the flash so the picture will show the details better. I tried it with the flash first and the flash was so bright that the picture was too white. Anyways....just my two cents as usual.
                            Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Megotu
                              jerk
                              • Dec 16, 2001

You can also sculpt the piece using aluminum foil and dip it in plasti-dip. Dip, trim as needed, dip again. Three to four dips should get you any piece you want.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎