X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

How do I do this??

I am working on a custom, not of this character, but I am going to borrow some elements of it. Especially the cloak/robe/cape or whatever it is. I just can't figure out how to do it?

You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

The cloak you mean? Perhaps take several strips of material and stack them making layers like that. Maybe take 4 or 5 strips of equal size, put a hem on the side that will show, then sewn them together on the other side. Then make the top layer and add that at the end.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

It's like an accordion effect at the top of the shoulders, and you'll have to narrow the pleats as they head down the front and back towards the under arm. It may help to iron them in to hold the shape, along with a hem or three. Looks like it might be tough to execute, but something tells me you'll pull it off.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

yeah, the cloak. I just couldn't figure out if I could do a one piece and get it to bunch up like that.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Azrak has the right idea: You'll have to press the material into pleats beforesewing them into the shoulder seam. Tacking them and/or hemming them in place at the bottom of the cloak as well will help hold them into place.

Pleating will take about twice the fabric as usual.

I'll bet Jessica could offer advice as well; her stuff seems very tailored.

(Like the Colossus of New York, BTW. A small, overlooked B gem.)
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Yep, great movie, I've watched over and over lately, studying the design.

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I think everyone has the right idea on this; but I'd be tempted to put a stitch across the shoulders. It'd be visible though.

Don C.

Comment

• jessica
                fortune favors the bold
                • Nov 5, 2007

Time to break out the fabric glue! I would pinch the pleats and hold down with fabric glue until it dried--press a little with an iron to crisp out the pleats near the shoulder..I can't really see too clearly with the photograph, but I think that would be an easy way to do it.
                Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

" How do I do this ? "

You Sew it .
                  ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

OK< what should the starting shape be? Rectangle?

Comment

• BlackKnight
                      The DarkSide Customizer
                      • Apr 16, 2005

^^^^ Yep. Sew it up the sides,.. layer it.
                      Then cut it up the middle on one of the other sides. Done.
                      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ I am going to go with liquid stitch for the pleats, I don't want to see stitches.

Comment

• jessica
                          fortune favors the bold
                          • Nov 5, 2007

Rectangle looks like a safe bet..go large and trim as you need. And, since you are using liquid stitch, you can finish up the edges so very nicely with it once you get the desired effect.
                          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM
                            I was NEVER here!
                            • Jun 22, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            yeah, the cloak. I just couldn't figure out if I could do a one piece and get it to bunch up like that.
                            Just use a . . . . . .. . .CLOAKING DEVICE . . . . .Simple!

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                              Career Member
                              • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                              ^^^ I am going to go with liquid stitch for the pleats, I don't want to see stitches.
                              I would use double-stick tape. For these 2 reasons: Sewing will show stiches and fabric glue always has a chance for bleed-through. Use a good brand of DS-tape. Non of that dollarstore/cheap stuff. It doesn't hold up over time.

You can make a paper pattern out of poster board. Get your folds to the right size and the DS-tape will make it very easy to fold the fabric the right way. After all the folds are done, I would iron the finish piece. That will make the pleats nice and clean and will make the DS-tape hold better too.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎