Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairy Godmother custom: Opinions and Suggestions Wanted.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

Fairy Godmother custom: Opinions and Suggestions Wanted.

Okay, as I have stated in the past, I am starting work on a Fairy Godmother custom.

I have a couple of Dorothy heads, scalped and ready for reroot.

I have a Glinda dress, which I am going to unpick and use as a base for a pattern for the dress.

I have a pair of gorgeous shoes that will fit with the flesh colored tights that I have.

Now, onto the fun stuff like materials.

I am thinking of a pastel overlay, with a slightly deeper color as the underdress.

However, I don't want to do anything that has been done before (or to death), so I would like it if my fellow Megomaniacs could help me out with suggestions as to colors for the dress.

Only one rule: NOTHING PINK!

Other than that, anything goes.

Glitter, sequins, wand, wings, etc.

Let me know your suggestions!
    JediJaida
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

This is so weird.... I'd recommend be-bopping around some fabric shops. Dig through the sniglets of fabric and you might find something suitable. (I have a swatch of a really metallic, gunmetal/black chrome looking fabric that I've bee dying to use for something....)

Don C.

Comment

• REMOVED
      • Apr 20, 2024

thank god there's no pink...

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by ctc
        Hmmmm....

This is so weird.... I'd recommend be-bopping around some fabric shops. Dig through the sniglets of fabric and you might find something suitable. (I have a swatch of a really metallic, gunmetal/black chrome looking fabric that I've bee dying to use for something....)

Don C.
        Don, I would love some of that fabric if you think it's appropriate for Catwoman. Do you think?

JediJaida, I would check out Joanne's. They have great fabrics of late, with lots of bling already on the fabric. Check near the brocades. Lots of yummy stuff there.
        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>if you think it's appropriate for Catwoman

It's a little science-fictiony I think. More like the jumpsuits everyone in the 50's though we'd be wearing now.

Also; if you're looking for fabric, try the dollar stores, thrift shops and St Vincent DePaul.

Don C.

Comment

• JediJaida
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 14, 2008

Fairy Godmother custom: Opinions and Suggestions Wanted

Well, I started looking for fabric in an overpriced bridal store.

French lace $34.95 per yard!

I almost had heart failure, right then and there. And that was with the 25 - 50% discount!

Tooooooo expensive to justify for just ONE doll.

*Sigh* It was gorgeous though.

Next time, I'll go to one of the smaller outlets and look for some bridal illusion instead of embroidered lace.

Feh.
            JediJaida

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

It's still worth it...you are not buying a whole yard. What was the minimum yardage for the cut table?

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• JediJaida
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 14, 2008

Two at the very least.

There is NO WAY that I am going to spend upwards of sixty bucks on two measly yards of fabric, I don't care how gorgeous it is.

I'd like to keep the cost of fabric reasonable, as I am on a limited budget (okay, I'm somewhat cheap), and $34.95 per yard is not, repeat, NOT, reasonable.

If it was for more than one custom, THEN, I'd do it.

But not for one doll.

That price is ridiculous!

How's your project going, BTW?

I liked the pictures of Cornelius and Zira in the garden, enjoying their time alone, admiring his new clothes and Zira giggling over them.
                JediJaida

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

FORGET IT!! I thought you could purchase a quarter of a yard!!! Never mind!!! OUCH!!

I'm on a rootbeer budget, too..but I'm a Libra so I am cheap cheap cheap...and then I splurge splurge splurge....I am my own worst enemy...

I need about an hour to finish Cornelius's pants...and then I have to send it away to West Virginia. At least I have the photographs to remember it by. I've got a boatload of sewing commissions that I need to complete. Never ending list but FUN FUN FUN!!
                  Last edited by jessica; Aug 19, '08, 8:19 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• JediJaida
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 14, 2008

Root beer budget?

That's a new one. I've heard of ginger ale budget, diet soda budget, club soda budget, heck I've even heard of tap water budget, but I've never heard of root beer.

Maybe I can pick up some remnants of lace, and the fabric for the underdress.

Or, maybe I'll skip the lace altogether, and try for some iridescent fabric.

That might work....

Oh, the possibilities.

Good luck on your commissions, jessica.
                    JediJaida

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍