Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Adam confusion (potential spoiler)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDeRouen
    Author of Small Things
    • Jun 14, 2001

Black Adam confusion (potential spoiler)

Okay, in 52, Shazam changes Black Adam's "magic word" so that he can no longer turn into Black Adam. But in Countdown, he's Black Adam again and transfers his powers to Mary Marvel.

Huh?

When did he recover his magic word and turn back into Black Adam?

Joe
    --
    Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I haven't gotten the last issue of 52 or the first issues of Countdown, but I will say this;

Black Adam needs to go away for about 5 years. He is the most over-used villain at DC. Heck, he's been overused for years. Johns had several storylines revolve around him. Good or bad, he's overexposed.

Potential spoiler: I heard his new magic word was "sorry". Were "please" and "thank you" too obvious?

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      Black Adam needs to go away for about 5 years. He is the most over-used villain at DC.
      Agreed! I'm so sick of him it's disgusting! Especially since his arch-foe Captain Marvel isn't being handled too well these days...
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• grayhank
        That Fisher Price Guy
        • Feb 9, 2007

Personally, I like Black Adam. He's appropriate for 52 because of what the storyline is paralleling. Most people have missed the direct connection to the Elsewords series Kingdom Come. I vaguely remember that when Kingdom Come came out Mark Waid had said (in Wizard I Believe) that the story was going to be incorporated into DC Continuity at some point in time. I believe that 52 is that storyline when you look at the similarities (and it's no coincidence that Mark Waid is one of the writers).

Examples:

The "Big" heroes have left leaving others to fill in for them. This plotline in both stories.

Batman has become increasingly more suspicous of the others and is on the "outs" with the others. Both titles share this as well.

Captain Marvel has gone a little over the deep end under the influence of Mr. Mind (again both storylines).

A Powerful Enemy has surfaced to control most of the known world (Magog). Black Adam is the only logical choice to play this role. If Captain Marvel is believed to be equal to or just a notch less powerful than Superman, Black Adam who has the same strengths & powers as Captain Marvel, has got to be the one used in this capacity.
        Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

You mean Magog's mentor Gog? Black Adam is not Gog. Gog showed up in Action Comics a while back.

Kingdom Come's been established as a seperate Earth in the 52 parallel dimensions that are the new Multiverse. KC is like The Dark Knight, DC will give it nods once in a while to give the fans Geekgasms, but locking them into that would not really work in the realm of ongoing monthly comics.

At this point I wish I could pull Mark Waid from behind a plant or something (like in a Woody Allen movie) to tell you he said no such thing. He was working on an ongoing comic book called The Kingdom with Alex Ross that was set in present continuity, but it never happened and morphed into The Kingdom fifth week event sans Ross instead.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by samurainoir
            Kingdom Come's been established as a seperate Earth in the 52 parallel dimensions that are the new Multiverse. KC is like The Dark Knight, DC will give it nods once in a while to give the fans Geekgasms, but locking them into that would not really work in the realm of ongoing monthly comics.
            Yeah it's also mentioned in the most recent part of the JLA/JSA cross-over that Starman (LSH member Thom Kallor) got sidetracked to the KC universe on his way to "our" earth. So they are two separate earths. Earth-1/New Earth (whatever it's called today) is not becoming the KC earth.
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• grayhank
              That Fisher Price Guy
              • Feb 9, 2007

No, I never said Black Adam was Gog. I said the 52 story parelleled Kingdom Come. I was making an analogy between Black Adam and Magog from Kingdom Come. As in this paragraph from Wikipedia describing Magog in Kingdom Come. Note the similarites, substitue the word Black Adam for Magog and Terra Man for Joker.

Magog: Ironically referred to as the new 'Man of Tomorrow'. His first act as a hero was the very public killing of the Joker. The Joker had been arrested for the murder of 92 men and one woman (Lois Lane being the woman) at the Daily Planet, but was expected to be ruled criminally insane, and thus not responsible. When the Joker was being led in to the courthouse for his competency hearing, Magog ran in and blasted a hole through his chest, killing him instantly.

As to the Mark Waid reference about Kingdom Come's continuity in the DC Universe, I don't have the actual quote or remember what was actually said. I used the term vaguely...but I am not the only one who came away with that impression. Again, I turn to Wikipedia who has a very similar notion about Kingdom Come's role in DC Continuity.

Kingdom Come was a four-issue comic book limited series published in 1996 by DC Comics. It was written by Mark Waid and painted in gouache by Alex Ross, who also developed the concept from an original idea. Set some 20 years into the future of the current DC Universe, it deals with a growing conflict between "traditional" superheroes, such as Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Justice League, and a growing population of largely amoral and dangerously irresponsible new vigilantes. Between these two groups is Batman and his assembled team, who attempt to contain the escalating disaster, foil the machinations of Lex Luthor, and prevent a world-ending superhuman war.
              Last edited by grayhank; Jun 16, '07, 5:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎