X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoMonk
    Career Member
    • Jan 22, 2007

bleach mego hair????

Has anyone ever tried bleaching Mego hair? I was thinking of making a Valkyrie figure from the Defenders. I'd like to use an Oz Dorothy head with the hair changed to blonde. But, I'm still trying to figure out how to change the hair color w/o re-rooting it.
    any ideas?
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

Because Mego hair(and most doll hair) is synthetic, is does not react to chemicals the same way as real hair. I have not met anyone who has had much luck with successfully and permanently changing the color of Mego hair. I've tried to dye it, and it was a big mess. I've never tried to bleach, for fear of causing damage to the hair or the doll's head. However, if you're going to try, I would use a sample piece first. Either take a few strands from Dorothy's head or cut some from a head you don't mind damaging. You could probably even try it with one of those cheap hairpieces/scrunchies you can get at the dollar store. I'll tell you what, I think I have some leftover fake hair lying around. Let me try to bleach it and I'll let you know how it works. If I get good results, I'll post scans here. But I seriously think you'll be better off rerooting. It's not that hard and the color will look better than dye. There are tutorials in the Customs section and plenty of members who will help you out.
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• megocrazy
      Museum Trouble Maker
      • Feb 18, 2007

I use the hair from the cheap 12 inch dolls at my local dollar store. I have found it is usually long enough and more than affordable and you can practice on the old heads before rooting the new one. They also have just about every color you would ever need. Just use a big needle and some glue and you're set to practice. I soak it in hot water before styling it to the look I want also.
      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I don't think it's possible to bleach (or dye) doll hair. It's molded in colour, and anything that'd take the colour out would probably make the hair brittle.

The cheapie doll transplant is a great idea. I live about 15 meters away from a party store, and I've used cheapie costume wigs from there for Mego figs too.

Don C.

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Marvelmania
            A Ray of Sunshine
            • Jun 17, 2001

A mego Mary Ellen works well.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎