X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

A question from the Marvel ignorant

Ok, since I only know about DC and Spidey & Hulk, I have a question about the Fantastic Four movie. I thought the FF consisted of The Thing, Mr. Fantastic, The Invisible Girl & The Human Torch. What does The Silver Surfer have to do w/ the FF? Doesn't he make 5?
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Quick lesson:
    The Silver Surfer was formally Norrin Radd of the planet Zenn-La. One day world-devourer Galactus comes calling and says (paraphrasing here... )..."Norrin Radd be my herald and find other planets for me so I can consume their life force and I will spare your planet". Norrin says yes, even though he's gotta leave his chick Shalla Bal behind, and BAM!...he's given the power cosmic, a shiny surfboard and voila..he's The Silver Surfer, Sentinel of the Spaceways.
    This new responsibility brings him into contact with Earth and it's up to the Fantastic Four, with a little assistance from Uatu the Watcher and a little gizmo called the Ultimate Nullifier, to stop Galactus from consuming earth....

....which they do, but not before battling it out with the Surfer in FF #48-50 (also known as "The Galactus Trilogy"). They become best buds with the Surfer and Galactus strips him of the ability to traverse the galaxy and he's stranded on erath. (Sorehead!).

Eventually, Galactus gives him the ability back and he finds a new herald (actually, he goes through a lot of them) to help him find new planets.

Ol' Big G has returned to earth a couple of times since.

Not sure how this plays out in the movie, though.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Hmmmm...sounds too complicated. I knew there was a reason I never got into this stuff.

Thanks for the info!
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Merlyn1976
        Fist of Khonshu
        • Mar 29, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
        Eventually, Galactus gives him the ability back and he finds a new herald (actually, he goes through a lot of them) to help him find new planets.
        Wasn't the problem with leaving earth that he couldn't do it under his own power(i.e. on his board)?? The FF flew him into space right through the barrier with no problems correct??
        "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, on the board he'd hit an invisible barrier and be knocked on his *** back to earth...he's up and around again, so it's all good!

(Of course, now that Galactus has a new herald he never returns the Surfer's calls anymore...)

Originally posted by HardyGirl
          Hmmmm...sounds too complicated. I knew there was a reason I never got into this stuff.

Thanks for the info!
          Complicated? Believe me...that's the story in a nutshell. The Surfer has a long backstory over 40 (?) years, several series and guest-appearances in the FF, Defenders, Infinity Gauntlet and other books.
          Last edited by The Toyroom; Jun 14, '07, 9:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

One of the cartoons should have a better way to sum it up.

Comment

• Customslab

the 66 ff4 cartoon did do a sum up version of this

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

Tis a sad statement indeed that the 1966 Hanna-Barberra cartoon adapted the Surfers tale better than the film did.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎