X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cosmicman
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 12, 2005

A custom for the "King"

About a year ago I was talking to a roadie who works closely to the famous shock rock musician from Denmark, King Diamond.
    King was apparently expressing one night that he would like to see an action figure pay tribute to his years like the McFarlane ones you see of Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper..etc.

I know that probably wouldn't happen for quite awhile but I thought about designing a custom mego figure in his likeness. Kyle (the roadie) said the King was familiar with the mego dolls.

Not sure if this guy was blowing smoke up my *** or not. So I got together with my boy from November's Doom (also a member on here) and I think we found a better route to King Diamond. I want to make sure this figure makes it into King's hands and doesn't wind up stapled to the top of a reading bulletin board on top of a urinal in a bar in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

So, I started back on this project to make a custom mego of one of my heroes and early metal influences that influenced me to take the lead vocal position in bands in the early 90s. I know a lot of people thing King Diamond is a weirdo that is a Satan worshipper and eats human flesh...blah...blah....blah
    In all truth, I am more of an atheist and I could care less what people worship or believe in, everyone has theories.

So I am thinking that this figure is going to definatley need a custom back card with a blister. Megoscott gave me a few good ideas to some "pros" on here that do stuff like that but I would rather the person that makes the card be into or at least have knowledge of the figure I am paying a tribute to.
    (PMs on thoughts would be greatly appreciated.)

I have had this figure on the back burner for quite some time. I have been changing the head sculpt around from time to time when I have rethought about how it should work.

So now I am officially going to start the custom King Diamond mego once again. I won't stop until I feel it belongs sealed away forever on a card.

Positive thoughts and ideas would be great appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Cosmicman; Aug 5, '08, 10:43 AM.
    More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

That could be one of the cooler non-super hero Megos if you do it right. The King Diamond I grew up with looked like an emo Elvis vampire, but I think that look will be easier to pull off and have a bit of nostalgia with it. Here's the classic look I was thinking of.

Now, since you rarely see this dude without his mouth wide open or showing teeth, here's the perfect head. Austin has this in his retired section and all it would need is hair sculpt and paint. A classic Mego head put to a more sinister use.

BTW, I almost got to interview him while in college, but he cancelled at the last minute. I was the resident hard rock/metal guy on campus so I took every opportunity to talk to bands when they came to town. I even had press credentials. Those days are loooong gone.

Scott
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• spiderrogue
      new mego-er
      • Feb 3, 2008

he ripped off his make up design from gene simmons...who threatened to sue his butt if he didnt change it....apparently he did change it

Comment

• Cosmicman
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by spiderrogue
        he ripped off his make up design from gene simmons...who threatened to sue his butt if he didnt change it....apparently he did change it
        Yes, it was during a period in time when KISS wasn't exactly the hottest band in the land. I am sure if it was in modern times, Gene would have cared less. I am sure Gene was just angry and came across King Diamond in a metal magazine.

King Diamond has went through many transitions with his makeup designs. He butted heads with Gene Simmons in 1988 when Gene thought his makeup during King Diamond's "Them Tour lineup" looked a lot like his.

Gene's lawyer contacted King's people and they went around for a bit. King just said **** it and changed the makeup to be a good guy. It didn't really hurt him.

King was confused why Gene came after him in 1987 when his makeup during his Mercyful Fate days look a lot closer to Genes. That is why he originally changed it on 1988.

I think what he finally has now is good and the addition to the top hat he added several years ago pushed him away from any further issues with Gene Simmons.

Last edited by Cosmicman; Aug 4, '08, 6:37 PM.

Comment

• Cosmicman
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by Random Axe

BTW, I almost got to interview him while in college, but he cancelled at the last minute. I was the resident hard rock/metal guy on campus so I took every opportunity to talk to bands when they came to town. I even had press credentials. Those days are loooong gone.

Scott

Dude. You just made my cool list on here. Wow!

Check me out impersonating King Diamond in 1997 for a Halloween show.
          YouTube - Caterson Damon- Halloween 1997 King Diamond Tribute

Then I am covering him in 2002
          YouTube - Caterson Damon- Mercyful Fate Cover- 2002

Comment

• Random Axe
            The Voice of Reason
            • Apr 16, 2008

You inspired me with this Thread. I was never a huge fan of his, but I dug out an old, unused head and painted him up KD style. You are welcome to have this head if you'd like. A trade would be cool. If not, no big deal you can just have it. Well, that's all depending if you like it. I forgot to re-size and brighten this so it's unintentionally big and dark. In any case, here's my version of the Devil Dutchman.

Scott
            I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• BlackKnight
              The DarkSide Customizer
              • Apr 16, 2005

^^^ The FC Magneto head seems to work well for the character.
              ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

Here it was I thought someone did a custom of Jack "King" Kirby

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                  Formerly known as Del
                  • Dec 12, 2004

Originally posted by Wrathdemon
                  King was apparently expressing one night that he would like to see an action figure pay amish to his years like the McFarlane ones you see of Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper..etc.
                  How exactly do you pay amish to something or someone?
                  Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                  https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                  http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by del
                    LMAO You give them a horse and buggy!
                    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Wrathdemon

I think what he finally has now is good and the addition to the top hat he added several years ago pushed him away from any further issues with Gene Simmons.

http://www.bestrock.cz/include_image...diamond_03.jpg
                      Yeah, now he's just back to being a confused mime...

Comment

• Cosmicman
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by del
                        Sorry, I was half asleep when I wrote that. I was up all night and clicked on my Google Toolbar Spellchecker and it must have replaced that word because I spelled the other one wrong.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Don't you just help them raise a barn or churn some butter??
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

That'd be a cool figure! I'd use a Conan head; sculpt on the hair and 'chops, and change the nose a bit. I think the paint job would make the head more than the actual sculpt.

The OUTFIT might be tricky though....

Years ago I had a friend that did a good impression of King Diamond doing the voiceover for a Chrysler ad. (Wish I'd filmed it.)

Don C.

Comment

• Cosmicman
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by ctc
                              Hmmmm....

That'd be a cool figure! I'd use a Conan head; sculpt on the hair and 'chops, and change the nose a bit. I think the paint job would make the head more than the actual sculpt.

The OUTFIT might be tricky though....

Years ago I had a friend that did a good impression of King Diamond doing the voiceover for a Chrysler ad. (Wish I'd filmed it.)

Don C.
                              Yeah, my brother and I when we were teens used to pull up to McDonalds and order food using King Diamond's falsetto and demonic voice. It was funnier then hell if you know King Diamond. We were doing King's voice very early.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎