X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goldenryan
    coy member
    • Jul 13, 2007

marvel essentials

anybody get a chance to read some of these. i picked up the first 3 volumes of fantastic four and loved it.
    it's a good way to read the classics for a cheap price.
  • Bo8a_Fett
    Pat Troughton in disguise
    • Nov 21, 2007

I've got loads of them....Thor, Dr Strange, Marvel two in One, Tomb of Dracula, Wolfman, Killraven, Frankenstien, Man Thing, .Tales of the Zombie..also the DC version Showcase ...Haunted Tank, Enemy Ace, Jonah hex, Challengers of the Unknown, House of Mystery....they are a fantastic way to read the titles you never got a chance to read as a kid...plus there is something about seeing them in black and white....
    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I love these. They are very affordable and so frickin' thick! I usually read my kids bedtime stories from these!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Ehhhh, I can't get into the B/W printing (not to mention the smell). I wish they could just print them like old newsprint comics in color.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I love these! Not just 'cos I can read the stories at less than collector rates; BUT it also shows that the companies are taking the attitude that people are READING these things and not just hoarding them.

It'd be interesting to know if these are gonna affect continuity in any way. Now the OLD stories are available, so would that make it harder to redo/revise/retcon the characters?

Don C.

Comment

• goldenryan
            coy member
            • Jul 13, 2007

yeah i got silver surfer, fantastic four 1- 4, spiderman 1-4, thor, and x-men. the only book i didn't like was daredevil the early stories were a little flat.

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

I've only got Captain America Vol.2 but have several of the similar "Showcase Presents" from DC
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• goldenryan
                coy member
                • Jul 13, 2007

captain america 1 was a good read too.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                  Hot Child in the City
                  • Jul 3, 2008

I've tried a few of the marvel ones, but they really didn't do anything for me, probably because a lot of those stories (especially FF & Spidey) have been reprinted so many times and I've read them all.
                  The DC Showcases I like,especially the oddball stuff like Elongated Man & Green Arrow, and the Silver Age Wonder Woman stuff. I did find I had to read them a small chunk at a time to avoid overload, with the GA book in particular. Those old backups were meant to be savored a month or two apart, so if you read them one after the other a marked sameness to the stories comes through.

For instance, in the Silver Age Wonder Woman book, originally those issues came out bi-monthly (I think) the whole volume comprising 2-3 years of comics. So if you read it all at the same time, WW fights a doppleganger version of herself about every 4 "issues" or chapters, which wouldn't have been as noticable when it happened once a year or so.

The B/W printing puts me off a bit, I'd prefer as Thunderbolt said to see cheap newsprint comics in color using the original method. I'd even prefer that with a small increase in price to $20 or so.

Now if only they would collect up some humor comics into Showcase or Archives. I cannot believe there is no Sugar & Spike Archives. A Fox & Crow Showcase would be cool, Stanley & His Monster, and especially Jerry Lewis.

Another good one would be Rex the Wonder Dog.

I'd also like to see a romance comics showcase collecting artists like Alex Toth, John Romita, Jay Scott Pike, and others.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                    Now if only they would collect up some humor comics into Showcase or Archives. I cannot believe there is no Sugar & Spike Archives. A Fox & Crow Showcase would be cool, Stanley & His Monster, and especially Jerry Lewis.

I've often wondered where the rights stand today as far as the old Jerry Lewis comics and stuff like Bob Hope and Sgt. Bilko.
                    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>lot of those stories (especially FF & Spidey) have been reprinted so many times and I've read them all.

Plus, a lot of those stories have been rehashed over the years. It's amazing how much happens in the first 80 issues or so of the Fantastic Four, and then durned near every book until "The Trial of Galactus" was just those stories over and over and over....

Don C.

Comment

• goldenryan
                        coy member
                        • Jul 13, 2007

the ff covered alot of ground in their first 80 issues so it no surprize they rehash the same stories.
                        i wish marvel would reprint the 60's westerns.

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

>the ff covered alot of ground in their first 80 issues so it no surprize they rehash the same stories.

Yeah! Those were some pretty involved stories. It'd be hard to follow them up, especially (like I always say) considering the perpetual nature of the book. Can't change anything; and they filled most of the blanks in quite nicely early on.

Don C.

Comment

• Riffster
                            Atomic batteries to power
                            • Jun 29, 2008

can't wait for the Super friends showcase in june, i have the whole series but much easier to read in a collection
                            Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
                            And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• phil
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 11, 2007

I have a bunch of titles from the Marvel Essential line and Showcase Presents.
                              I find them to be a lot of fun to read and quite a bargain. There are some I did like less than others.

I'm waiting for a Marvel Essential of Sgt. Fury as well as Nick Fury. I'd really love to see Marvel do Essential volumes of their Horror and Science Fiction
                              titles from the '50s and early '60s. Especially all the crazy monster stuff before the 'Marvel Age of Comics' began.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎