X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

How to do Mego scale pointed ears for a custom

How do I do Mego scale pointed ears for a custom? I'm pants at drawing, as my ears all look like pointed Dumbo ears, or everyone looks like something out of Elfquest, which is not what I'm going for.

I'm going for LOTR/ST type pointed ears which are graceful, elegant, and let's be honest here, they're also cute.

Maybe I should get a Romulan figure, so I can see just what kind of adjustments to do.

Can anyone else help?
    JediJaida
  • spiderrogue
    new mego-er
    • Feb 3, 2008

clay, super sculpy, epoxy(like milliput or aves) whatever..something that is tough and wont crack or break if something happens to the toy....
    and yes..any kind of ref that you can find, the better....makes it easier..trust me..
    Last edited by spiderrogue; Jul 28, '08, 9:43 PM.

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Epoxy putty. Use a tiny little smidge, put it at the top of the ear and slowly shape it with a wet tooth pick. Takes a LOT of practice, but it'll work. It'll work best on a resin head; since most putties don't stick so good to an original Mego head. If you're putting them on an original, wait for the putty to dry, pull the points off, (they'll probably fall off on their own) and glue 'em back on with superglue.

Oddly enough, I have a pointy eared custom that I'll probably post in a day or so....

Don C.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

I aree with ctc...."Citadel Colour" makes an Epoxy Tape(Putty), that requires no cooking, and can be sanded & painted.
        sigpic

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Just get some BONDO, mix it up, pour it into a container and lightly press the sides of SPOCK's head into it... Pull the head out and you'll have your mold...

Then to make your ears, just go to WALMART or wherever, get one of those litle "one minute epoxy" kits pour it into the ear molds and there ya have them...

Comment

• spiderrogue
            new mego-er
            • Feb 3, 2008

^^one minute expoy? i want that stuff...what is it??

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by spiderrogue
              ^^one minute expoy? i want that stuff...what is it??

See My post above! And No...I didn't spell Color wrong...that's the way the Company spells Their name "Colour".......Citadel Colour epoxy Tape. It comes in a green & Yellow band...and You combine the two colors in equal parts to activate it. And keep a Bowl of hot Water around incase it starts to harded...it gives You more time to work with it.
              sigpic

Comment

• megocrazy
                Museum Trouble Maker
                • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by The Bat
                See My post above! And No...I didn't spell Color wrong...that's the way the Company spells Their name "Colour".......Citadel Colour epoxy Tape. It comes in a green & Yellow band...and You combine the two colors in equal parts to activate it. And keep a Bowl of hot Water around incase it starts to harded...it gives You more time to work with it.
                This is like the stuff that guy sells on the infomercials. You knead it together and it becomes like a putty, that hardens like steel. He makes a chain loop out of it and pulls a truck with it. Should be OK for ears if it pulls a truck. Didn't know the water trick though.
                It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

The water is good for dipping your tools and fingers in too; it keeps the epoxy from sticking. The BEST epoxy putty I've found is the Tamiya quick-hardening stuff. Hardens in about 10 hours, and it's softer than most other types. (Including the Citadel stuff, Milliput, and the Tamiya "smooth surface.")

Don C.

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by megocrazy
                    This is like the stuff that guy sells on the infomercials. You knead it together and it becomes like a putty, that hardens like steel. He makes a chain loop out of it and pulls a truck with it. Should be OK for ears if it pulls a truck. Didn't know the water trick though.

Haven't tried the Stuff on the TV infomercial...but looks similar.
                    sigpic

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by spiderrogue
                      ^^one minute epoxy? i want that stuff...what is it??
                      I'm not talking about any of the "epoxy tape" or any of that stuff the guy is selling on TV... The stuff I'm talking about is located by the foam sealant, etc. (at least at the WALMART I go to...) It's two little tubes that you mix equal parts and there ya have your epoxy resin ready to use...

Comment

• fallensaviour
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 28, 2006

If you go the way of making a mold and want less dominant pointed ears Aquaman has minimal points on his that may be more of what you want?
                        Just a suggestion.
                        or the romulan but I find spocks very dominant.
                        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎