X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

DC Buys the Archie Comics Super-Heroes

DC has acquired the rights to the old Archie super-heroes like Hangman, Comet, The Fly etc. And this time they'll be part of the DCU proper instead of the !mpact universe of the early 90s. They'll be introduced in "Brave and the Bold" in an arc by JMS. Which seems like a nice way to keep that title afloat after the departure of Mark Waid (whose work I liked on the book...I must be in the minority). Hopefully these characters wil be done right since I think they have a lot of appeal for old-time fans. Supposedly it is going to be the original characters and not 2nd or 3rd generations with the same names.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • ShadowAvenger
    Career Member
    • May 14, 2007

The original Archie super-heroes in the DCU will be very interesting to see. While I liked some of the Impact titles, I much prefer the originals.
    Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I actually liked some of the Impact versions, esp. the Fly, although I understand Archie handed over the Fly rights to Joe Simon (someone brought that up here not too long ago, I think). I wonder if they'll add the Golden Age versions to the JSA/All-Star Squadron history?

Interesting move. DC eventually becomes home to just about all defunct comic lines! Quality, Fawcet, Charlton...now Archie super heroes.
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

That's great news! I love those characters and am excited to see them return.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Shame it's just the superheroes. I'd like to see Bruce Wayne date Betty and Veronica.

Comment

• Captain
            Fighting the good fight!
            • Jun 17, 2001

Sounds good so far. Better yet...toys. You know there will be toys!
            "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• davidb
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 9, 2007

This is a surprise. Still, there are some great characters here that Archie hadn't done anything with for years. It'll be interesting to see DC's take on them.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

This is awesome news! I love those characters and was a bit bummed out that Archie was doing nothing with them. At least in the DCU there's a chance for a mini series or a book with them.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Sounds good, I just hope they don't feel the need to force them right into the big books like they are doing with the Milestone stuff. Icon and Hardware are getting jammed into the JLA right off the bat.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• gman
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 4, 2002

I am going to take the wait and see attitude --- Impact versions made me want to cry.... I guess I better download all the MLJ stuff I can while it's in Public domain.
                    Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

• aquatroy
                      Permanent Member
                      • Apr 28, 2002

Get on that G.

I'm glad to see these characters get some new life breathed into them. I don't know if I want to see them in the DCU. It's easy to imagine them being used as cannon fodder in the next crisis (and there shall be one).
                      I would much prefer an independant publisher getting the rights and creating a universe around those characters exclusivly.
                      Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• Airdave817
                        Satellite Monitor Duty
                        • May 31, 2007

Originally posted by aquatroy
                        I'm glad to see these characters get some new life breathed into them. I don't know if I want to see them in the DCU. It's easy to imagine them being used as cannon fodder in the next crisis (and there shall be one).
                        I would much prefer an independant publisher getting the rights and creating a universe around those characters exclusivly.
                        Amen, brother!
                        I loved Parobeck's artwork on The Fly. The Fly and The Comet were my two favorite characters. What was that other one - the fireball? I only picked up the first three issues of The Crusaders. And back then the books were only a buck! But they were really badly handled. Kinda like all the other characters that DC aquired. I'd like to see what they do with The Comet now. The way his title wrapped up was kind of a bummer.

I'm sticking with Brave and the Bold too! That book is awesome!
                        Last edited by Airdave817; Jul 28, '08, 12:51 PM. Reason: details
                        Shameless self-promotion -
                        Earth-Dave
                        KROC-FM
                        Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
                        "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• Captain
                          Fighting the good fight!
                          • Jun 17, 2001

I was asking some folks I know who work in the comics biz about this, and they did some checking with Archie and DC and found unequivocally, from both DC and Archie, that this project is a limited use of the MLJ heroes only, and that Archie will continue to maintain rights to the MLJ characters.

Still a cool project!
                          "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

So the title should get changed to DC rents the Archie characters.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Riffster
                              Atomic batteries to power
                              • Jun 29, 2008

i didn't mind the first run DC took at them, i still have them
                              Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
                              And Super Powers Batman

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎